Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read in the Guardian that the BBC are set to drop F1 coverage :( Appparently it costs them more than running BBC4 so it's one or the other really, and F1 is far more expensive :/

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT

You're not serious!

Edit: Did a bit of reading myself; looks like the story was broken by the Sunday Times, who is of course owned by News Corp, who if I remember rightly are trying to buy F1. Take it with a pinch of salt..

Edited by Dyson

Yeah seems rumours have started up again, I read from 2013... so when the 'new' F1 kicks in.

Jake tweeted this...

jakehumphreyf1 Jake Humphrey

Lots of 'Sunday Times' questions. SO MANY inaccuracies in that article. F1 does incredible business on the BBC-it's spiritual home! #bbcf1

I've no inside info on it's future...but I know little else gets the audience share and the millions that we do. #bbcf1 is a huge success.

The BBC team have taken to the twitters to assure viewers that the article "has inaccuracies" which is the polite BBC way of saying "is bullshit." Fans and commenters examining the article elsewhere have been less conflict averse. Apparently most if not all of the viewing & fee figures are under and over estimated, presumably pulled straight out of someone's asshole.

Only thing to do is keep tuning in and keep hoping it survives the budget cuts.

Yeah i did just read the article again and there are quite a lot of errors...viewing figures this year are through the roof (roughly 5mil watching every race, canada peaked at 6.2!) yet the article stated 2-4.

Those are exceptional figures btw, fantastic.

Didn't DC or someone say on the coverage a couple of weeks ago, that everyone knows the viewing figures would absolutely plummit if F1 went to Sky or some other subscription channel.

Yep, that's the whole debate on the other side - sponsors prefer free-to-air wherever possible to get maximum exposure. I understand that in some other territories is a pay-channel pays up front for the full live race and there's a repeat or highlights program on free-air later, so if the BBC has to drop it we'll probably end up with that sort of arrangement.

Edited by gaggle64

I really hope it's just a terrifying rumour, because I'd absolutely hate paying to watch the race live/buildup and loosing people from the fantastic BBC F1 team. I'm not sure what my decision would ultimately be.

The papers/my followers are welcome to report this... "the past 3 F1 races have each had viewing figures at a 10 year high". #bbcf1

I can't see it happening myself. BBC must make decent money selling on their coverage, a ridiculous amount of places buy it in (unfortunately America is one that doesn't).

The problem for the sport with pay TV is that a lot of people that watch it only have a slight interest in the sport and just watch it because it's on, move it to pay tv and not only do you lose more than just the percentage of people that don't want to pay, you lose a lot of semi-fans too. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

Back from seeing Senna!

What an amazing, inspirational, emotional and beautiful documentary.

I loved it!

Such an incredible story and a great further insight into F1. It was great to see inside the driver briefings!

I welled up a couple of times, but by the end I had a lump in my throat and was holding back the tears.

Back from seeing Senna!

What an amazing, inspirational, emotional and beautiful documentary.

I loved it!

Such an incredible story and a great further insight into F1. It was great to see inside the driver briefings!

I welled up a couple of times, but by the end I had a lump in my throat and was holding back the tears.

:D

I watched a few clips from it just before I read your post (downloaded it, but without subtitles...d'oh!) and have to admit, the music is sensational.

Best scene in the whole film is when he wins in brazil and just how much it clearly means to the brazilian people. His interview after is incredible.

'I can't believe I won that, it was a gift from 'him', and I thank him so much. This one is for you Brazil, this is YOUR victory, there could be no other result for us today'.

Jeez, i welled up seeing that in the cinema, especially with the music. I love it how when he passes out after winning the race, the marshalls are like jumping up and down cheering :heh: And when he gets the medical car to the podium and he's like 'dad, touch me gently, please' and his Dad just kisses him. The first thing Senna does on his way up the stairs is ask for the flag...amazing.

Such an amazing human being. If I became half the man he did I'd be happy.

:D

I watched a few clips from it just before I read your post (downloaded it, but without subtitles...d'oh!) and have to admit, the music is sensational.

Best scene in the whole film is when he wins in brazil and just how much it clearly means to the brazilian people. His interview after is incredible.

'I can't believe I won that, it was a gift from 'him', and I thank him so much. This one is for you Brazil, this is YOUR victory, there could be no other result for us today'.

Jeez, i welled up seeing that in the cinema, especially with the music. I love it how when he passes out after winning the race, the marshalls are like jumping up and down cheering :heh: And when he gets the medical car to the podium and he's like 'dad, touch me gently, please' and his Dad just kisses him. The first thing Senna does on his way up the stairs is ask for the flag...amazing.

Such an amazing human being. If I became half the man he did I'd be happy.

Yeah the last 30mins or so, were just a constant onslaught on your emotions!

The sheer joy and happiness you felt for him and the crowds as he wins in Brazil. The physical pain he's going through having driven a broken car for the last laps. Seeing his family after the race and pushing through his pain on the podium because he knew what it meant to everyone in Brazil watching!

Then feeling the excitment and love of everyone as they made their way back and gathered outside his house!

But constantly as this is going on you've got that thought in the back of your mind of what's coming next...

The Imola weekend. Seeing just how undrivable that Williams car was and the rising tension and dread you felt as you saw Rubens accident pass... and then the crash during Qualifying pass.

And on top of this you've got the dialogues he gave of what he still wants to achieve, how being a racing driver is only the first part of his life and how he's a lot more time left to do everything else. His medic friend telling him... just retire and we'll go fishing!

All the while you've got this incredible musical underscore... it was utterly superb!

And then his crash...

And the previous built up emotion just hits you when you see the aerial camera of Senna sitting still and at rest in the car... suddenly it's all over... Heart wrenching.

The funeral scene's were so moving, with members of his family coming up to the coffin each with a flashback moment of their happy times together. And his girlfriend... they told that part of the story in a really lovely way! They didn't show much of her throughout, but seeing the wonderful way they met on TV, and then the two of them arriving together in subsequent seasons, you really got the message that they were truely in love.

I had to take deep breaths to keep the lump in my throat and tears under control.

Edited by Retro_Link

Agree with everything you just said! Didn't you find it weird how on live TV that blonde girl gave him a kiss for every year apart from 94!?!

If anything, that film made me question the existance of god more than anything I've seen. He was something else, that's for sure.

Agree with everything you just said! Didn't you find it weird how on live TV that blonde girl gave him a kiss for every year apart from 94!?!

If anything, that film made me question the existance of god more than anything I've seen. He was something else, that's for sure.

Edited by Retro_Link

Oh really, I didn't really register the year she stopped, that is a wierd sign!... That was his girlfriend yeah?

Yeah it was very powerful in that way.

And how he said before the race how God was going to give him the greatest gift and let him see his image.

The Senna/Prost relationship was also done really well, how they managed to set Prost up as the villian figure... as he was to Senna... but come the end of the film, you didn't feel any anger towards Prost or anything. You understood the rivalry between them, and that when all was said and done, life was bigger than motor racing, and the respect shone through.

And again, the driver briefings were great... something I kind of wish they gave us an insight into nowadays, as it helps show the drivers character and the comradery.

The one where Senna was fighting to get the tyre wall changed for cones and how they all rallied together. Likewise when the other drivers stuck up for Senna having driven down the escape road to re-join the track. Honestly the idea of telling him he should have spun round and rejoined against the cars, at the point he left the track was unreal!... especially coming from the people in charge of the sport and everyones safety!

LOL that has just reminded me of my favourite line in the whole film! Nelson Piquet Snr saying 'last year there was a big FUCK UP with Ayrton' haha. I love that bit, especially when Ron Dennis goes 'Does everybody feel that way?' and they all agree. They fucked him over in 89 man and badly.

LOL that has just reminded me of my favourite line in the whole film! Nelson Piquet Snr saying 'last year there was a big FUCK UP with Ayrton' haha. I love that bit, especially when Ron Dennis goes 'Does everybody feel that way?' and they all agree. They fucked him over in 89 man and badly.
Yeah that whole scene was brilliant! :D

... and to have banned him aswell!!

Fucking F1 politics!... good to see it's improved along with safety in F1... oh no wait... it's still bollocks.

Also, do we know whether the Beneton maintained any driver aids?... and basically the Williams suspension was the only reason Mansell won a championship. That Williams '94 car just looked unsafe (I mean if Senna can't even control it at times)... I wonder if other cars on the grid were behaving as badly following some of the bans?

I'm quite surprised the '94 season continued tbh!

Yeah that whole scene was brilliant! :D

... and to have banned him aswell!!

Fucking F1 politics!... good to see it's improved along with safety in F1... oh no wait... it's still bollocks.

Also, do we know whether the Beneton maintained any driver aids?... and basically the Williams suspension was the only reason Mansell won a championship. That Williams '94 car just looked unsafe (I mean if Senna can't even control it at times)... I wonder if other cars on the grid were behaving as badly following some of the bans?

I'm quite surprised the '94 season continued tbh!

The thing with the 94 Williams was that the car was based around the active suspension. Once it was banned it was out of control completely and the updates they brought to Imola actually made the car worse. If you look at the lap before Senna has his accident, you see him coming out of Tumberulo with sparks flying off the car; it was bottoming out so early in the race. It was clearly a car that needed a lot of work on and top marks for Hill and Coulthard for making it through the season.

As for the 94 benneton, they never proved it was using illegal TC but Michael did get some flying starts that year. They found that the car did contain coding to do with TC but i think they concluded that it hadn't been used. Schumacher was banned for a few races though because Benneton were found guilty of taking the safety filter cap off the refueling rig. There's a youtube clip of Senna leading Schumacher as they come into the pits at Brazil and Schumacher comes out ahead.

That said, most of that was Flavio's fault and you can't really deny Schumacher deserved the title that year. He finished 1st or 2nd in EVERY race that year, apart from Adelaide ofc and the races he was banned from. He was as dominant then as he was in 2002.

Also, I've always felt Mansell was SO unlucky not to have won a title before 92, so I'll let him have that, despite how much better his car was compared to anyone elses. He would've won in in 86 (i think) if his tyre didn't explode :(

I have to say as an UTTERLY hardcore athiest who despises all forms of organised religion, I also found myself questioning things like this. I really cannot put it into words... but I think, in a spiritual (not religious, per se) sense, there was something very different about Senna which is too weird to be coincedence, though I don't believe it relates to a 'god' as such. Just a connection to a spiritual power not explainable by tools such as science.

As for the 94 benneton, they never proved it was using illegal TC but Michael did get some flying starts that year. They found that the car did contain coding to do with TC but i think they concluded that it hadn't been used. Schumacher was banned for a few races though because Benneton were found guilty of taking the safety filter cap off the refueling rig. There's a youtube clip of Senna leading Schumacher as they come into the pits at Brazil and Schumacher comes out ahead.

I have always been under the impression that the '94 Benetton cheated in someway. The whole issue of it's electronic technology is still to this day a question without an answer and using both the fuel rig and Singapore '08 as an reference, I would say the Briatore, F1's biggest shit stain is likely to have used questionable methods in the running of his team. That car was lightning, but only in the hands of Schumacher. Lehto, Herbert and Verstappen all struggled to even place in the points in it, a fact which in itself begs 2 possible scenarios. Either the car was brilliant but difficult to drive and Schumacher was just the much better driver who could cope with it, or only Schumacher's car was using the banned technology.. I'll let you make your own minds up.. ;)

Here's what happens when cheating goes wrong though...

I just downloaded the entire 1996 season. Over the next week I'll be reliving those glorious moments where Damon Hill became king. And all to the soothing sounds of Murray Walker :love:

There was definitely something up with the 94 benetton, but at the end of the day they got away with it. If the rules can't be tested then people exploiting them should be rewarded in my opinion, much as I hated it at the time.

I really can't wait to see Senna. Now so many more people are talking about it and not a bad word said about it I really feel I have to see it soon. I'm just upset I can't do it at the same time as everyone else.

Also, I've always felt Mansell was SO unlucky not to have won a title before 92, so I'll let him have that, despite how much better his car was compared to anyone elses. He would've won in in 86 (i think) if his tyre didn't explode :(

I'm pretty sure it even comes down to him controlling the tyre blow up. Had he of gone into the wall the race would have been stopped due to the position and only half points would have been awarded giving him the title. I think he could have won more but for him to do it in the style he did was very fitting.

I just downloaded the entire 1996 season. Over the next week I'll be reliving those glorious moments where Damon Hill became king. And all to the soothing sounds of Murray Walker :love:

Do you have a link to where that came from? I'd love to watch through that again.

Do you have a link to where that came from? I'd love to watch through that again.

Yeah is there somewhere to download other seasons?

I have to say as an UTTERLY hardcore athiest who despises all forms of organised religion, I also found myself questioning things like this. I really cannot put it into words... but I think, in a spiritual (not religious, per se) sense, there was something very different about Senna which is too weird to be coincedence, though I don't believe it relates to a 'god' as such. Just a connection to a spiritual power not explainable by tools such as science.

Yeah, pretty much this. He was so in touch with his human/spiritual side. When he won in 88 despite being in like 14th place by the end of the first lap, he recalled how on the last lap he saw God and spoke to him. I really find that incredible, it really does make you wonder. There was something special about Senna, a side I don't think any of us will ever truly understand, but I guess that is what makes him such an incredible character.

Today's drivers are just spoon fed for the media, they don't come close. I can't imagine another driver criticising the side pole position was on/moved to, apart from lewis but he'd just get given penalties :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!