N-Europe

Harry Potter and the Dark Mark Mafia: The Game

Beast

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel utterly robbed of this victory.

Me too. Game's over now, Zell was the last mafia. I was in a neutral team of myself, mr-paul and jonnas. We all completed our objectives to win but right at the end it turned out I needed to steal one more item - and I chose the wrong person because I'm an idiot.

I did actually give up a couple of nights ago and voted Zell expecting people to vote too but no one even posted for a whole day. So when the next day started all I had to do was not vote and hope that I chose the right person to steal the last item from - but I didn't. I think it would've secured victory for my team despite them being dead but I dunno what Dazz had planned for us. Hopefully I can at least win with the town despite being neutral.

Yeah so sorry for not voting that day but I had to do it so that I could try and secure victory for myself :p

I had to find my love, which was Luna Lovegood. I found Luna, and died the same night. I would've been given the option to turn us into straight townies. I'm not sure what I'd have done.

Jonnas had to kill/see dead the leader of the mafia and Dumbledore's Army.

Peeps had to steal 7 items, although the goalposts were changed slightly at the end, being told that he had to steal something else (a decision we overthought with Peeps eventually making the wrong decision).

It might have been a bit of a flat end to the game, but I enjoyed it mostly (despite dying quickly, being in a group allows you to keep up an interest!)

The game has officially ended with the only remaining Dumbledore's Army member alive; Ginny Weasley. In second place was Mundungus Fletcher, part of the neutral mafia and last was Walden McNair, who was Dark Mark Mafia.

I must say I have really enjoyed doing this but I don't think I'll be doing it again in a hurry. Now I know how to play the mafia games a little more now as I have been in the gamemaster's shoes and the amount of work that goes into a mafia game is quite a lot.

Anyways, I really hope you've enjoyed playing this game as much as I have enjoyed making it and I hope it wasn't too crap, haha.

I don't know if it was just from working in a group but I found it all too easy to work out everyone's character from the write-up. Everyone was in there which means you can't hide anything... however I did manage to kill Tales without anyone questioning me!

Jonnas' win condition was to kill the leaders of both factions so when I stole a cursed knife and was forced to kill someone I chose Tales because I knew he was Harry Potter :D

I did really enjoy the game though and the write-ups were great to read. I wish I had made the right decision in the end, I won't be able to forget this for a while lol.

Jonnas' win condition was to kill the leaders of both factions so when I stole a cursed knife and was forced to kill someone I chose Tales because I knew he was Harry Potter :D

So that Jonnas couldn't win? You dastard :p

I died fairly early on but I was allowed to continue talking in the mafia forum so it wasn't so bad. I knew some absolute cunt would be Mundungus ;)

By the way, it was Rubeus Hagrid and somebody cracked what I said about the key thing. Why on earth did you pick Fenrir though??? That frustrated me a lot!

I was right with my first instinct all along then!

Peeps you over analysed things!

So where did your allegiance lie?

With the Mafia. I could spy on them (i.e. see all the posts they made on their forum at night), but I couldn't talk to them and they didn't know that I was part of them. I was offered to fully join the mafia but I declined because I thought it may have gotten mentioned in the write-up.

So that Jonnas couldn't win? You dastard :p

My objective was just for them to die. Lucky me, they both died on the same night :p

I couldn't win without everyone on the team having fulfilled their objectives, though.

So ... the only remaining actual townie wins ... without really having participated. Wow.

I know, right? It's just baffling. And kinda amazing.

Now, for my thoughts on the game: I liked the roles, they were very well thought, many of them pretty original, and the potential dynamics between characters were considered. It showed in the write-ups, which were well written, even if detailed, the red descriptions worked very well, and bypassed the common problems with wordiness.

However, the fact that the write-ups showed what everyone was up to made the game too easy for the townies, I think. The Peeps just didn't finish the mafia earlier because it was in his best interests to not do it.

(Speaking of which, The Peeps staying inactive at the end of the game was a low, if necessary, move. I realize Dazz couldn't have predicted that, but still, it needs to be reiterated that we [the group] also hated doing that)

Overall, a nice game, with good potential, flawed in a couple of areas, but I really liked the good things about this game. I do hope you make another game someday, Dazz, I'll look forward to it.

I'll be honest, I didn't actually know the game was finished until everybody had said so. I mean, there were quite a few twists nobody knew about themselves but others did. One of them was that Cube had two lives.

Cube was Draco Malfoy and Jayseven/Esequiel was Lucius Malfoy. Esequiel had asked Cube to join them and Cube denied. Esequiel would have been Cube's first life. If somebody had lynched him or killed him, Esequiel would have taken his place.

Dannyboy and Chairdriver were Ron and Ginny Weasley and were both Vengeful Siblings. If either one dies, the other had to make sure the murderer(s) were dead for them to either win the game or return to their roles, depending on the phases.

ReZ was Neville Longbottom who was actually a vigilante. He had the choice of either using his spell or killing someone. If Luna Lovegood was killed, he would have been an Overeager Vigilante, meaning he would have no choice but to kill one person every night.

Mr-Paul was Faxon Paolini (made up character of mine) and he had to find Luna Lovegood who was the love of his life. When found, she would ask him and him alone if he wanted the neutrals to merge with DA. The group wouldn't have known until I had included it in the write-ups.

The most frustrating thing about all of this was that I didn't get to use my awesome secrets for the characters! lmao. ReZ never became the Overeager Vigilante, Chairdriver nor Dannyboy became Vengeful Siblings and Esequiel died before Cube so nobody knew about that either. Same with Faxon's decision, he died on the day he found her! haha. I guess you're all too good or I made the game easy in the write-ups. Maybe in my next game, I won't include every character but I wasn't sure whether that was allowed. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything but I wasn't going to risk it.

However, the game was pretty much over considering Zell was the only one in the mafia and that was the win condition of DA. It's a shame because if the neutrals had picked Hagrid, they'd have won the game. Ah well, still, all of you were brilliantly awesome and I just want to say thank you to all who participated. I really honestly thought hardly anybody would for some daft reason so thank you very much and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

If I were to make another mafia game, it may be True Blood, Avatar or The Muppets. I've already thought of some awesome ideas but I'll leave it for a little bit, lol.

Edited by Animal

Those roles are great! :D But you can never really know how a game will turn out. ;)

Maybe in my next game, I won't include every character but I wasn't sure whether that was allowed. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything but I wasn't going to risk it.

How to do the write-ups is a thing that is often discussed. There are widely different and clashing opinions, but most people agree that a fine balance between clarity and ambiguity should be kept. Spelling out all characters and their actions tend to make it too easy for the town to figure the mafia out, so it's often favoured to only describe some of the night's actions and then maybe just superficially mention the others - if even at all. However, it is completely up to the hosts themselves how they wish to do the write-ups.

The most frustrating thing about all of this was that I didn't get to use my awesome secrets for the characters! lmao. ReZ never became the Overeager Vigilante, Chairdriver nor Dannyboy became Vengeful Siblings and Esequiel died before Cube so nobody knew about that either. Same with Faxon's decision, he died on the day he found her! haha. I guess you're all too good or I made the game easy in the write-ups. Maybe in my next game, I won't include every character but I wasn't sure whether that was allowed. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything but I wasn't going to risk it.

I think that's the curse of hosting a game. My favourite roles died quite early in the pirate mafia and I think in Jayseven's last mafiawesome there were a bunch of role mechanics he never got to implement that sounded awesome.

If I were to make another mafia game, it may be True Blood, Avatar or The Muppets. I've already thought of some awesome ideas but I'll leave it for a little bit, lol.

MUPPET MAFIA! Do it!

Thanks Dannyboy, I'll keep that in mind next time but I think I won't describe everything that's gone on.

Also, I'm more in favour of a Muppet Mafia but I'd want to play as Animal! haha. He would obviously be included, hehe. In the end, I might make a poll after coming up with a few ideas and then go ahead with the most voted.

I wasn't very active this last mafia game, my apologies. I had a lot of work on,

The mafia seemed quite powerful at first, but I sort of figured the town were quite powerful too. The first few days were pretty disastrous for the mafia, and we never fully recovered.

I feel really sorry for the pointless deaths at the end. Obviously it was a bad idea killing Cube anyway.

If cube had accepted my invitation to join the mafia (I knew he was draco and i was his dad, so could invite him to join!) then i would have sown this game up. If you look at how my story started i kept quiet on day 1, we killed that night then asked cube to join.

If he has have agreed we could have killed 1 more that night and won >.> But he said no lol

So yeah, game was ok but i really really really hate inactivity.

Oh and also feel robbed that i made it through a day and then was killed when the mistake was realised!