NEurope
Nintendohnut

Addicted to Games?

Panorama sets out once again to shit all over everything tonight at 8.30 on BBC 1.

I'll probably watch it just to see how biased the report is ("EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER PLAYED A GAME IS ADDICTED AND MUST BE KILLED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA", or whatever).

Thoughts? I imagine the discussion may heat up after 8.30, but does anyone now think they are addicted to gaming?

I would say I possibly am, but that it doesn't cause any detriment to my daily life. I'll probably play at least one game a day, whether it's booting up the 360 or Wii, or just playing Minecraft or something on my iPod Touch. But like I say, I don't think it affects my day to day life, and I'm certainly not as bad as some people.

I just really, really hope that it doesn't paint every gamer with the same brush. Then again, when has the media ever NOT done that?

Yeah I'm hoping it does just truly focus on extreme cases rather than just people who play video games everyday. In an era where games can offer just as rich experiences as books and movies I really don't think we need this kind of debate being brought out into the open without seeing the flip side of how great games can be.

Is it really that different to addiction to other kinds of media - books, films, TV, etc?

I think they'll look both at the overall picture but also at extreme cases. Actually, I know for a fact they're doing some focused stuff on extreme or excessive gaming. It's whether they'll actually manage that properly by looking at the overall picture of gaming rather than simply opting to focus on the extremes.

It should be an interesting watch, but it's nothing new really. It'll probably just talk about the way in which games give incentive for players to keep playing, i.e. the various conditioning techniques which are widely used in games today, be it through unlockables or progressive online gameplay, that the developers won't think of as psychologically manipulating the gamers but rather giving added longevity to a game so the gamers will play longer.

Definitely think it's something people should watch before they come to any conclusions. It's easy to instantly dismiss this off of the back of stuff put out by the idiots who write for the Daily Mail, or any other of the low-brow tabloids, but it could be informative for the general gaming populace. It'll probably be blown out of proportion in the papers and by ignorant parents however.

Panorama sets out once again to shit all over everything tonight at 8.30 on BBC 1.

I'll probably watch it just to see how biased the report is ("EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER PLAYED A GAME IS ADDICTED AND MUST BE KILLED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA", or whatever).

Thoughts? I imagine the discussion may heat up after 8.30, but does anyone now think they are addicted to gaming?

I would say I possibly am, but that it doesn't cause any detriment to my daily life. I'll probably play at least one game a day, whether it's booting up the 360 or Wii, or just playing Minecraft or something on my iPod Touch. But like I say, I don't think it affects my day to day life, and I'm certainly not as bad as some people.

I just really, really hope that it doesn't paint every gamer with the same brush. Then again, when has the media ever NOT done that?

Because we, who look to defend our favourite pass time, couldn't possibly be offering a biased opinion when we say theirs are a load of rubbish?

We speak for ourselves only, as individuals and we probably wouldn't know we were addicted even if we were - much less being capable of admitting it to anyone. What about all the other people out there you don't know? Who's to say how much they are affected by it and the impact on their life it's having.

And there are varying levels of addiction too. You don't have to be playing 24/7 to be an addict - as you say, you play something every day, and it's a rare day when I don't play something either even if it's just something on my phone.

If I have 5 minutes to spare, why do I play a game when I could read something that could possibly change my life? Is it because I'm too lazy to read or is it I'll get my gaming fix in whatever way I can.

Personally I'm not addicted to games in the sense that I frequently go days without having a proper sesh. I'm sure the programme will be looking at stuff like WoW more than, y'know, peggle and shit.

There is an addicting element to gaming. I was playing MW2 flippin' loads, and some games I play to death because I need that last achievement. But how can gaming be detrimental? I suppose it's main negative point would be the anti-social aspect.

I think addiction is too strong a word, but there is a compelling element.

It can be bad, for example if someone begins playing all the time rather than working, but it can be good, motivating people to work.

However equally it could limit goals and aspirations in some, with people contenting themselves with "acheiving" in games rather than in real life.

I think it is important to have balance in life. What might you be doing instead of playing games?

I dn't play games as much anymore, but that is mainly because I enjoy playing with friends more and it just doesn't happen so much anymore, sadly enough.

Anyway, I don't see any reason for the passionate aggression against panorama, from what I have read it seems a pretty vacuous program with no really interesting points. Everyone here should know how games compel us to play longer, we actively seek such games, because they are the best. I mean who here would be happy paying £30 for a game they won't play more than once, and that only for 5 minutes.

Because we, who look to defend our favourite pass time, couldn't possibly be offering a biased opinion when we say theirs are a load of rubbish?

We speak for ourselves only, as individuals and we probably wouldn't know we were addicted even if we were - much less being capable of admitting it to anyone. What about all the other people out there you don't know? Who's to say how much they are affected by it and the impact on their life it's having.

And there are varying levels of addiction too. You don't have to be playing 24/7 to be an addict - as you say, you play something every day, and it's a rare day when I don't play something either even if it's just something on my phone.

If I have 5 minutes to spare, why do I play a game when I could read something that could possibly change my life? Is it because I'm too lazy to read or is it I'll get my gaming fix in whatever way I can.

I'm certainly not saying that extremes don't exist; I know several people who I would say are addicted to games in the same way that drugs are addictive in they literally play in every free moment.

That, however, is usually the picture that the media paints when talking about games. Often it seems that they think the only type of gamer is one who is addicted and is wasting their life, or one who is dangerous to others because of games (American murderers being 'trained' by games etc).

I simply hope that the program covers both sides of the story - I certainly expect them to look at the extreme, "I play every day for several hours and cannot stop", but also speak to people who play games as a simple hobby.

I suppose we'll wait and see, although I'm not too confident.

There are people who get addicted but I think Nintendohnut's point about bias was that most media reports tend to look at one side for the shock factor that some half-minded people might actually believe.

I can go without gaming, but I enjoy it other many things. I'd play games over TV but why is that a bad thing? I'm stimulating my mind and doing exercise (albeit not always arduously if its just a hand held controller!) as opposed to sitting there gazing at the TV.

Is it really that different to addiction to other kinds of media - books, films, TV, etc?

Yes, gaming 'addiction' is different to addiction of other media. For a start, to game is to become actively involved in the process whereas watching a film or reading a book is a more passive activity (they're not really passive but in the broad spectrum of involving the person into the media, they're more passive).

There's also a variety of techniques which can be used to artificially extend the longevity of a game. Having unlockables or new items is one thing, but think carefully how they're given out in most games. It's done in such a way that propels you to keep playing to see what they're like. And when you're getting bored of using it, something else is unlocked. It's really simplistic psychological techniques at play, but they're very effective in keeping people playing that bit longer than perhaps they had intended.

You don't get that kind of thing with other media outside of liminal or super-liminal techniques but they're very rarely used and there's nothing significant in movies or TV programs or books comparable to what is used in games. For other media, your 'addiction' to a certain show or book is based solely on the reward (increased dopamine levels) you get from partaking in that media whereas that's only part of what leads to a gaming 'addiction', as the reward you feel for a book or tv show slowly decreases through prolonged exposure or repeated viewing and while this happens in games, having unlockables helps pick up those reward levels.

So yes, gaming addiction is different from an addiction to other media.

I certainly agree that more studies need to look at this kind of thing, albeit not in the way they did with 'violent' kids programming back in the 70s but in a more open minded way.

Read about this on Yahoo this morning, wasn't going to bother watching it but have since changed me mind. Might be interesting.

Ok I'm already gonna say this is gonna be shit, the first footage they showed was of COD its gonna be just the same as every other show.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

This chap is thousands of pounds in debt, mainly from playing video games. And all he plays is Call of Duty? I assume he's doing a ReZ and buying games for the sake of it.

OH thanks for the reminding me. Must turn this on.

Let me guess, they are taking the negative approach.

OH thanks for the reminding me. Must turn this on.

Let me guess, they are taking the negative approach.

Not as much as you may think. At the moment they're pointing out the obvious.

I don't like being reactionary to criticism of games, because I like to think of myself as an individual rather than a member of a "clan" of sorts. So what if the media don't like some aspects of games? I don't either. Same goes for films.

My position on games is that they are addictive, but only whilst you're playing them. That is to say, I don't always need to be playing a game, I just find them very addictive when I happen to be playing a good one.

If you let them stop you getting on with your life, you'd do that with something whether games were available or not. As for any children who are allowed a computer, unlimited internet access and to play on an MMORPG all day and night, their parents are extremely negligent, simple as that.

I'm pretty sure game addiction is simply a transference of feelings of alienation. Alienation not caused by games.

Edited by Daft
Typos

Not as much as you may think. At the moment they're pointing out the obvious.

Well from what i'm seeing they are totally trying the negative approach. Comparing someone's anger problems to god of war footage.

They are calling this a problem. How soon until they bring the WOW deaths up ?:)

Well from what i'm seeing they are totally trying the negative approach. Comparing someone's anger problems to god of war footage.

I was expecting more of a negative approach myself, but it isn't touching on the positive aspects. They mentioned how people say it builds reactions/stress reduction etc. But that was in one sentence.

I think they're mentioning the WOW deaths now...

People who are addicted to WOW should be left that way. Anyone addicted to that game is obviously of no worth to society.

Dude can't talk whilst playing WOW. From what I've seen of it, it seems to be a simple button basher. At least that's all I really saw when I saw my housemate at Uni playing it.

Thing I really don't get is how are they portraying professional gaming as a bad thing?! Does that make a footballer a football addict because they live and brief football constantly?! Surely this is a positive avenue for it to progress to in a way? For me its fair safer to have that avenue than someone who is addicted to TV....where you gonna progress from their other than just constantly sitting and watching tv. Using South Korea was kinda a bad example to be honest. Gaming of the type they showed is a big glamour business there and actually a massive revenue stream and big business.

Sure some of these cases are genuine. I do think that they have found some real cases of people who want to help themselves and that is touching.

Finally to the woman who just said "to the gaming industry think about people getting addicted to gaming" I'd say fuck you don't give your teenage kid unlimited internet access in their room, your as much to blame for your stupidity.

I've never heard of anyone addicted to TV. Nowhere near the degree that these people play games.

South Korea wasn't a bad example since they pointed out that people who become addicted tend to have underlying social problems. Even the case with the woman who let her child starve, they quite clearly pointed out she appeared to have mental problems.

I think it balanced for the most part. For a 30 minute program. Their focus on online games was weird.

Wow... that was interesting. At the end of the day it wasn't too bad. Just a warning to parents and people. I'm not sure how I feel about "addiction" warnings being on game boxes though. i think it's a tad bit silly and the last thing gamers want to see is "gaming kills" on their boxes.