N-Europe

Fish's (mis)adventures in Moravia.

The fish

Not quite how I wanted my first teaching job to go:

I turned up (after having to transfer to the city myself, thanks for the promised pick up from Brno Airport...) at Olomouc bus station, and I had to sit around for 15 minutes for them to pick me up only for them to dump me at my tiny flat (I'll upload a video for your amusement...), with no food, internet or loo roll or help in getting some (I finally found a local, shut shop where I went the next morning), and being in a residential area, no restaurants.

Given the flats dimensions, and that my dispraxia means I take 3 minutes to get up a ladder (when combined with my not entirely irrational fear of completely unsecured ladders with MASSIVE deflection), and almost twice as long to get back down, when combined with my fondness for sleeping in a bedroom that I can actually stand up in, meant I had to 'sleep' on the kitchen/living room (make that living cupboard) floor.

The lack of internet in the flat, combined with the fact the printer in the office was out ink, meant I found the request to prepare 6 lesson plans for the next day a little too far on the wrong side of impossible. When this, and the problems with the flat, was raised, they dismissed it, and said that they wouldn't even start looking for a flat for at least a week. 7 days without sleep isn't something that'll help me improvise lessons...

Pretty much everything promised in the job advert or correspondence since hasn't been stuck to. I emailed a formal complaint, threatening to leave, and their response was that my "reasons for complaining are unacceptable". I'm currently considering the most eloquent way of telling them to go fuck themselves.

I'm now in a lovely hostel run by two very nice Ozzies, and as I have 2 nights here, I'll use tomorrow to pop into all the other English schools in town and see if anything's going, and get a good look at town. I'm going to the ice hockey tomorrow night with some folks from the hostel, should be a laugh!

If there aren't any teaching jobs going that I really want, I'll be flying home Tuesday or Wednesday, depending what flight I decide to get.

Edited by The fish

Nope, haven't signed shit. I've returned the office keys through the letter box, and will post them the flat keys tomorrow. The fact they were so, so rude in their reply email suggests they don't care, which is odd, all things considered. Maybe they expected it?

Oh shit. Well that explains the cheapness. Sorry about that dude, hope you find something there. If not - at least it was an adventure/make a great anecdote.

I've already made friends with a Scottish guy at the hostel named Chris, and both staff said that I'll be unlucky to not find something else. They also offered to help find me a (decent sized) flat, and that I could stay here for a few weeks easily - given the prices, even including food/drink, that's easily viable for a few weeks if I find something.

It's been a fun little adventure, and has turned into a mini-holiday. It'll make a great anecdote to tell new employers - "you wouldn't believe what the last place was like..."