Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Music You've Outgrown

Ashley

I outgrew SOAD and Slipknot. I still bought the new albums and particularly enjoyed the new direction of SOAD but it just didn't interest my so much anymore. On the other hand I listened a lot to Serj Tankian's Elect the Dead.

I also used to listen to a lot of Nightwish, but now it all sounds to me a bit like "high pitched voice sings random stuff".

Funny enough when I was around 13 to 14 I was into House and Trance and I find myself coming back to that now.

I honestly couldn't agree more. Much of todays modern, hot music is pure garbage. Bring back the 70's and 80's music, thats what i say.

I think about the above line, and boy i sound old.

It's probably music of the 90s that I sometimes favour because it just takes me back to a time when my life was so good! I can't imagine how my childhood could have been any better..

The terrible soundtrack to 2010 just seems fitting.. and I can't wait to see the back of it!

Anyway, I seem to have a problem enjoying music. There are only a couple of groups I would go as far as saying I like, but I get bored of other songs all too quickly (if I ever really liked them to begin with :indeed:)

I also feel a bit funny about sharing music.. and by that I mean letting others hear what I listen to. It somehow makes me feel weird..

My first CD was the CD single of Stop by the Spice Girls.

Think my first CD album was some Steps one. I remember being bored by it even then. It wasn't until I fell in love with a Holly Valance song that I got back into music properly. -

In retrospect it's not very good. (Her second album was better.

)

I feel like an old person as I generally cant stand the Rap and RnB that comes out these days. Sounds like complete junk to me and just feels like it has no soul, its just a tool for the 'artist' to get rich as quick as possible. I can, and do still listen to what is referred to as 'old skool', often coming across stuff I missed as a kid. Also enjoy listening to almost anything from the 80s. That stuff still holds its ground. It's the 90s stuff that sounds incredibly outdated. Wonder if I will feel the same way about house music in the future as that's the only new stuff that I can enjoy at the moment.

I honestly couldn't agree more. Much of todays modern, hot music is pure garbage. Bring back the 70's and 80's music, thats what i say.

I think about the above line, and boy i sound old.

You also sound right, Jimbo. And you know how rare it is for me to agree with you...

It's true... nowaday's mainstream music scene is in the toilet, it's all about the underground/alternative now... while in the past one could really bask in the mainstream's glow, especially during the 60's/70's/80's. Now you really have to look for yourself to get anything good.

A few bands spring to mind, one that really stands out is Razorlight. I went and listened to them again recently and my word they are awful. Also, Bloc Party - don't really like anything past the second album and even then I'm not overly keen nowadays. I used to really enjoy Coldplay, now I only like the odd song by them as opposed to whole albums. Always been a fan of Muse's older stuff, never really liked the new stuff.

Like Oxigen and Jimbob, at the risk of sounding generic, I think mainstream really is awful at the moment. I make quite a big effort to find stuff I like/ interesting music now, rather than just relying on friends or whatever gains some popularity (Recent finds include Charlotte Gainsbourg and Glasser if anyone gives a dam).

There are some things I haven't outgrown however, which I was quite surprised at. I still like Franz Ferdinand's debut, the first album I actually bought for myself. Same goes for The Futurehead's debut, which I might even like a bit more now. Also, in the past year I've started to like all the Michael Jackson songs that were basically the first songs I ever liked.