NEurope
Beast

Harry Potter and the N-E Thread

You've seen that bullshit puppet thing, haven't you?

Nope. :smile:

I didn't enjoy the unnecessary deaths in Deathly Hallows.

I must say I can't remember a single detail of the last book. Literally nothing, and I did read it.

I generally enjoy the movies, except I don't like the actors for the kids.

That's my take on it too. It became too "epic" and the fun went out of it. Order of the Phoenix was incredibly dull and, if anything, Deathly Hallows was even worse.

However, I really, really loved the first four.

It just got...too...repetitive for my liking, kind of reminds me of the Pokemon anime, where the same shit happened and nothing is really happening

Because they are both badly written, highly unoriginal fantasy books

It's amazing how many people seemed shocked when I tell them a school for wizards already existed as the Unseen University in the Discworld books.

[Not that I'm claiming UU did it first]

I enjoyed them for what they were, Kids books. Far too many people seem to over analyse them. This is ain't no Tolkien war!

The first two are simple kids' books, and that's why they're so brilliant. As the series went on, it tried to be too serious and to tackle too many important issues (not in a subtle way either), completely ruining the fun and storytelling.

It just got...too...repetitive for my liking, kind of reminds me of the Pokemon anime, where the same shit happened and nothing is really happening

I felt JK Rowling got too wrapped up in her own Voldemort mythology. At the end of the day, he's an evil wizard who waits seven books doing almost nothing, only to eventually have a quick-draw with Harry Potter.

It's amazing how many people seemed shocked when I tell them a school for wizards already existed as the Unseen University in the Discworld books.

[Not that I'm claiming UU did it first]

If anything, Harry Potter reminds me of The Worst Witch. It's incredibly similar, although I don't know if the Discworld one came before that or not.

Oh, as for the films, there's one truly excellent thing about them - Alan Rickman.

I'm a huuuge Harry Potter fan, both of the books and the films! :D I am one of the few fans who seem to be able to actually enjoy the films for what they are instead of bashing the heck out of them. I, too, can relate to the sadness of the final films finally coming out, having also grown up with the Harry Potter universe.

^

Squee I am a massive harry potter fan, I love the books more than the films, but the films are pretty awesome too.

So excited to see the first instalment!

Oh, as for the films, there's one truly excellent thing about them - Alan Rickman.

This man speaks the truth.

I'm surprised about the hate for the last book.

It has no momentum to it at all. The climax is really shit aswell.

Plus, the fact expelliarmus was used every single page ruined the book for me.

I don't understand or agree with that at all. Stuff actually happened in the last book. Like cool stuff. Meh.

Not really. Like, "Oh fuck, we've been taken to the Malfoy's house". And the whole Deathy Hallows thing was really like... contrived (that's the wrong word, but felt like JK was like "how can I explain why no one else has an invisible cloak?")

Also, I hate how Voldemort was defeated. Really shite.

Generally, it felt like it was a massive cop-out, like she couldn't be bothered writing an ending of suitable gravitas.

But they were better than the other books where it was just a stream of predictable silly reason things. And there was cool fighting, and death, and (I agree that some was silly) but meh.

The death in it was the worst. It was handedly really really badly. Killed all the characters you cared the least about, in a really trivial way.

---

I still think book no. 2 is the best. The way it all tied together at the end was amazing.

I read them all every year, it takes me like a month or so to read them all and I still find myself just as hooked as I was when I first read it. My favourite books are Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows. I'm currently re-reading the series again and I'm one-third through Order of the Phoenix. I want to finish the series by the time Deathly Hallows: Part I is released.

Haha whenever I read them I get hooked too and can't put it down. I'll read each book in a matter of days.

As for the Harry Potter film, it'll probably be watchable, but it annoys me that they've spilt it in two, although it's an obvious way to make more money.

Yes. Obviously. The most busiest book of the lot squeezed into 150 minutes. Uh huh.

Haha whenever I read them I get hooked too and can't put it down. I'll read each book in a matter of days.

It's quite weird because every single year, I always say I'll read a different book series and then I do and I'll go back to reading the Harry Potter books, haha.

.....After watching this trailer, I'm even more excited to see it now! I can't wait for it!!! :D

That does look seriously good, it's gonna be a long wait between the two parts though :(

For story Prisoner of Azkaban was by far my favorite book. Thats when i felt closest to the characters.

.....After watching this trailer, I'm even more excited to see it now! I can't wait for it!!! :D

Eeeee! I'm so excited, the second part is near my birthday, so that'll be kinda fun. :yay:

I'm going to see J. K. Rowling receive the Hans Christian Andersen Literature Award in Odense in October! :yay: There'll even be a Harry Potter concert performed by the Odense Symphony Orchestra! :D

I can't wait for this movie to be released, it looks seriously fantastic. I'm going to be watching this in both 2D and 3D. The second part is like two or three weeks after my birthday so I'm going to have two nights out. One on my birthday and one on the day the movie is released, my mates have already arranged it for me which is cool, I just hope the plan goes through.