NEurope
Dante

Dark Souls

TechTree =

From Software, the creators of role-playing game Demon's Souls, have announced their next game - Project Dark at the Tokyo Game Show 2010. A direct sequel to Demon's Souls, Project Dark would be a PlayStation 3 exclusive for Japan while rest of the nations will get it for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 - thanks to Namco Bandai.

Demon's Souls was one of the most popular role playing games for PS3 last year. The sequel, Project Dark, is directed by Demon's Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Project Dark is only a working title and more details about the game would be made available early next year. Considering the popularity of Demon's Souls, everyone's expectations are set bit higher for Project Dark.

I hate to copy this big text dump but......

It's called Dark Souls and Famitsu has the latest Intel.

* There will be a lot more exploration in Dark Souls, featuring wide open. seamless fields in which to traverse. Anything you see on screen, you can reach. That castle or dungeon in the background? You will get there eventually.

* The game has no map, just a position marker.

* Dark Souls will be as challenging as Demon's Souls. The team wants a game that will be tough, but ultimately rewarding. A sense of achievement is paramount.

* The game will play similarly to Demon's Souls. The plan is to kill you a lot, so you get better.

* Dark Souls is not set in the same world as Demon's Souls, and will have an original story. It will not have the same "hub" format, either, instead featuring a variety of maps connected to a seamless open world.

* Level designs will be more complex.

* Inspired by medieval dark fantasy, contains themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos."

* Players will get a lot more freedom with how they choose to play the game. Character creation will not be class based. The number of spells and weapons will be increased, as will attack animations.

* Co-op and PvP will appear, with online connectivity similar to that of Demon's Souls. Just like the last game, you can watch other players die, and read messages they leave behind.

* No Soul Tendency this time, as the studio doesn't want dedicate servers. Instead the focus will be on "mutual roleplaying", something that will be detailed at another time.

Do want!

Demon's Souls is fantastic, one of my favourite games from last year. Hopefully this is more of the same, but expanded upon.

Namco Bandai Games announces Dark Souls for NA/Europe 2011

NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe SAS today announced details of upcoming titles to be distributed in partnership with developer FromSoftware, Inc. Under the agreement, NAMCO BANDAI Games will release two new titles in the developer North America and Europe, the Dark Souls ™ and ARMORED CORE ® V , both for Xbox 360 ® and PlayStation ® 3 . FromSoftware, Inc. will remain the publisher of both games in Japan.

"The gaming experience that is FromSoftware are able to offer no-compromise, high-quality, involving legions of fans as never before," said Shusuke Takahara, President, NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe. "Deploy all resources at our disposal to ensure that these two titles can further stimulate the curiosity of gamers around the world and reach the largest audience possible, because that's what you deserve."

"The combination of force development with the experience of publishing FromSoftware global NAMCO BANDAI Games will give a great benefit to future projects," said Eiichi Nakajima, studio head, FromSoftware, Inc. "We look forward to undertake a successful partnership to provide new and revolutionary titles for gamers around the world. "

Dark Souls is a new action RPG (role playing game) set in a rich, dark fantasy universe. Intense action within the dungeons, encounters with terrifying enemies and innovative online features combine for a unique RPG experience. Dark Souls world breaks down barriers with a fluid design encourages exploration and promotes an adaptation experience. At a time when the players come face to face with terrifying enemies and find new areas, the infallible system and reward challenge takes possession of everything to offer a sense of achievement without equal.

Dark Souls will be available in North America and Europe in 2011 .

Screens:

lTdqg.jpg

vnlrC.jpg

EmXgt.jpg

ZGjPW.jpg

W0y90.jpg

rQmml.jpg

sXDZR.jpg

rKhLC.jpg

fANsd.jpg

ds0tM.jpg

H7oDn.jpg

DkdHE.jpg

New trailer.

Edited by Dante

Trailer looks sick. The DS universe is probably the only one that, if converted into an MMO, I'd get.

Massive potential to be awesome.

DS was awesome but I did get a bit bored of it. I'm all for the difficulty but the accessibility is dire, but not in a good way. I get that that's part of the whole feel but I can't help that it put me off wanting to drive on through and finish it.

DS was awesome but I did get a bit bored of it.

Well, go play other quality titles that don't bore you. Like Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. Oh wait...

Nah, I get your point. It is indeed a bit inaccessible. Especially getting the hang of the tendencies. That's what has kept me from finishing the game. Maybe someday I'll get back to it.

Well at least they're taking the Tendencies out this time. That in itself should make it a bit more accessible. I like that theres no hub world either. And the no map thing kinda reminds me of the original Zelda

Yeah the accessibility/design was bullshit. I would've platinumed it if it wasn't so borked and right wing, complete lack of explanation for key concepts was a big issue, and tendencies/level design occasionally sucked ass.

Didn't stop me from playing it through twice though.

All this talk of Dark Souls and Demon Souls on podcasts recently has really got me thinking about picking Demon Souls up...I've thought about it so many times but it just seems so punishing and annoying I don't think I'd hack it out and play it through.

SOOOOOOO....

Demon's Souls is £14.95 at Zavvi.com and I cracked and ordered it... My logic was its not a game I've seen in stores a lot so whilst its cheap I may as well pick it up...will I ever complete it?! Remains to be seen...

It's not so much as hard as much of it being a case of perseverance. I'd highly recommend reading through the thread. Although that'll likely cause confusion as well.

It's weirdly put together, just know that when you go into it. You WILL have to read up on stuff.

It's not so much as hard as much of it being a case of perseverance. I'd highly recommend reading through the thread. Although that'll likely cause confusion as well.

It's weirdly put together, just know that when you go into it. You WILL have to read up on stuff.

Yeah just from the bits I've been hearing on podcasts recently (seems the announcement of Dark Souls has spurred other on to play it) it does sound very weird and different. Guess another reason to play it now rather than leave it is to do so whilst the servers are still online (recently extended to october right)

I'll dig out the thread on here and give it a read, any other suggestions are very welcome, sure I can google and find beginners guide or summit.

This game will be all kinds of awesome. The thing I loved about Demon's Souls was that you had to use your brain to survive, and simply rushing in would get you killed. I guess I'm a little fed up of games where you have a super resiliant character, checkpoints are plentiful and there's relatively typical gameplay for its genre. I actually liked the tendency system in the first, although I do agree that it could have been better implemented (e.g. if you die in body form, you would bar your chances of white tendency - most didn't have a clue about this either).

The online for Demon's Souls is probably the best I've ever seen for an RPG. Xbox owners, definitely try this! PS3 owners, the original is dirt cheap at ShopTo!

I think it's a bit of a shame that they're getting rid of the hub world. It served as a healthy reprieve, the music was relaxing, and the whole thing looked impressive with the verticality. There was a bit of untapped potential there certainly. For the sequel they should've just changed it slightly by adding more functionality, and added more archstones within the levels. As in triple the content.

The first game did so much right, it felt different and personal. Fantastic atmosphere. Sounds like they're changing the online aspect somewhat however. Not cool.

I thought the online was staying vastly the same. Another thing they could change is to make the starting classes actually matter, rather than just minor differences in stat points and starter equipment.

Players will get a lot more freedom with how they choose to play the game. Character creation will not be class based. The number of spells and weapons will be increased, as will attack animations.

Denied.

I'm in favour of the approach they're taking, by and large.