NEurope
Dante

Dark Souls

So far I've only fought invaders to other people's worlds — I tend to stick to hollow form — but my experience hasn't been great: every single one has been able to backstab me from across the room whilst all of my attacks, despite going through their avatar on my screen, do nothing. I definitely enjoy the co-op, though.

Walking around, 200,000 souls in one pocket and 4 Humanity in the other. Asking for trouble.

Man that really is dangerous. Do you need that many?

I'm loving this. Got in to Darkroot last night after finally beating the gargoyles and this is easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Can't believe Dan Dare agrees with me on a game. That's how you know it must be good.

Later in the game losing 200k souls won't be a big deal.

Sen's fortress is good fun. Finding a lightning spear was nice, as well as a good few rings.

Man that really is dangerous. Do you need that many?

Not explicitly. I wanted to purge myself of sin which cost just over 100,000, and the rest I sunk into upgrading various pieces of equipment.

There's an area in Anor Londo I like to hang out, by the bonfire in the small room inside the main structure. I've been leaving my summon sign there, then heading out to farm the surrounding silver knights whilst I wait to be called upon, each giving me 900 souls. Each run of the boss in another's world grants me 1 Humanity and about 20,000 souls for 5-10 minutes work, and I'd rather stick to that then rely on exploits.

Can't believe Dan Dare agrees with me on a game. That's how you know it must be good.

It's a shame the game is so good, what with this signifying The End Times.

Cannot get past the gargoyles :( if it was just one it would be fine but once they're both out it's impossible to attack one without the other laying into me.

Feeling like a noob too because I have yet to find any arrows anywhere despite finding plenty of crossbows. Also everyone keeps mentioning pyromancy but I don't know how or where to get it :p regretting my decision to not use guides.

I had someone solo the gargoyles for me :D I have also not found any arrows despite being up to my eyes in crossbows :p

Someone invaded me and I summoned someone who was stronger than me (I'm a thief) but not as strong as the invader. The invader kept trying to lure us to something strong, then I summoned an absolute beast and he went over and killed him so hard. My criticals are meant to be good, but my backstab did like 1/9th of the damage the other guy did. I had no estus left and he went through the strong invader, the entire tower and the bosses without needing me to heal him, so yeah I was lucky. Wonder if it comes with being a thief : peace:

Cannot get past the gargoyles :( if it was just one it would be fine but once they're both out it's impossible to attack one without the other laying into me.

Feeling like a noob too because I have yet to find any arrows anywhere despite finding plenty of crossbows. Also everyone keeps mentioning pyromancy but I don't know how or where to get it :p regretting my decision to not use guides.

Easy way to do this.

Go to the bonfire at Undead Burg, the one inside a building with the option to go outside along a bridge where undead try to mob and firebomb you, or to the right down some steps past an archer.

From the bonfire, head immediately right (avoid the archer) and down the steps. Walk a little further and you'll notice there's a walkway to another building to your left. Go across here and roll into the barrels/boxes to reveal a hidden staircase going down. Down there is a merchant selling large arrows.

Buy about 20 large arrows and a bow, grind to get the souls for this if need be. Also note this merchant is good to kill later as he drops an Uchigatana. Then go to the bridge where the red dragon tries to toast you. Run towards the dragon and down the stairs, hoping to survive. Now you'll be under the bridge. Go to the right, aim for the dragon's tail. After less than 20 arrows it should break off and give you the Drake Sword.

This is really good early on, doing loads of damage to the gargoyles (the weapon damage is set, it doesn't scale so is only best for early game).

No prob.

Another thing I'll suggest is to set aside 20k souls to buy the key to the Darkroot Garden from the blacksmith near Undead Parish. Then take the exit by the blacksmith. Eventually after the butterfly boss you can get good exp from the human enemies here. Also join the covenant here and kill 3 player intruders for them to net you the ring of fog. It makes you partially invisible, enemies don't see you unless you're close and other people can't lock onto you or see you that well.

If you go right up to the hydra and shield it should launch all of its heads at you. Then it's just a matter of chopping each one. The Eagle shield is pretty neat to block most things (found in Blighttown, doesn't need mega stats for a large shield).

Also of note in the forest (reason for going there) is the elite knight armour set (very good balance of defence/mobility) as well as the divine ember. The divine ember is incredibly useful for going into the catacombs - give it to the blacksmith who sold you the forest key to make weapons with the divine property (use this to make something blunt divine like a halberd).

Skeletons in the catacomb are constantly revived by sorcerers hidden about the level. You have the option of either running past lots of skeletons dangerously to kill the sorcerer or bring a divine weapon, which permanently kills the skeletons no matter what. I say this because going into the catacombs to defeat a boss nets you the rite of kindling, making the rest of the game easier because you can make bonfires give you 20 estus maximum.

The divine weapon also makes the tomb of giants boss a pushover (place that follows on from catacombs).

Edited by Sheikah

Ah, see I had a divine weapon but it actually seemed to reduce my damage because it replaced dexterity scaling with faith, which is my lowest stat. I'll probably get my morningstar to divine though if it kills those skeletons.

Hydra is dead as fuck. I had to wear thief gear to get close enough in time and not get jizzed on but it was easy as hell once I got there and

stopped drowning myself in the deep water like a spaz.

Since you're near Darkroot Garden it's worth picking up the Elite Knight armour set, you can easily upgrade it by buying titanite shards off the blacksmith and then later on in Sen's fortress you can buy the large titanite shards. Having some strong armour makes all the difference.

For a good main weapon to begin with you can go to Sen's fortress (up one floor of the blacksmith and head out the door and across the bridge), you kill a mimic there that gives you a lightning spear. Until you make your own lightning weapon later this is the next best thing, it does tons more damage than other types of weapons of the same rank.

I have the elite set- heavily upgraded like you say. It's awesome.

Sen's fortress though- that big door is very locked, unless I'm missing something. I just unlocked blightown, mind, and promptly Ran Like Hell.

Really liking the game even though I had to restart after I had played for about 9 hours because I accidentally killed the merchant who sells bows and arrows early in the game. Well I didn't have to but made it a little easier for myself by getting the drake sword.

Shame I can't use the online features of the game because I don't have a gold account but no sense getting one until january when I can make the most of it. And I can only play on the weekends anyway.

I have the elite set- heavily upgraded like you say. It's awesome.

Sen's fortress though- that big door is very locked, unless I'm missing something. I just unlocked blightown, mind, and promptly Ran Like Hell.

Cool, if you find it slow to run in beefy equipment you could pick up Havel's Ring if you haven't already. It's in the Undead Burg, in one of the towers where you go up to fight the gargoyles, instead go down. The guy has a massive cudgel of some sort and is pretty strong, but the ring is ace.

Got to the last boss last night, but couldn't defeat him. I'm away on a course for the next few days so going to get withdrawal symptoms. I want to finish it before Batman comes this week, then will go back for New Game+, New Game++ New Game+++ etc...

Need to get the Platinum to match my Demon's Souls one.

What's annoyed me is that I had people help me defeat some of the bosses and they didn't try to cut the tail off (while I did), so I'll have to try get some of the rare tail weapons next playthrough if I want the trophy.

Dark souls speed run. Game completed in under 90 mins

Is this guy on his second playthru or something? Is he destroying stuff because he is using advanced weaponry or he just knows the achilles heal for every for he fights?

EDIT: It's in multiple parts so you may have to go to youtube to watch the rest.

I'd say he just knows the achilles heel. He uses some sort of glitch against that big dragon (not there yet myself) where he just punches it a few times and it dies. Does like 7 damage, so it isn't advanced weaponry :p

I'll bet he has a Master Key, it's surprising how much you can skip with that.

I'm currently helping out with bosses to reduce the faith requirement to join that sun covenant. Praise the sun!

I've been avoiding that knobber in the burg for ages, but if he has Havel's ring I might have to reconsider and take him on. Naked.

*looks around, noticed corpse of pyro merchant lying in the Depths, hopes nobody notices*

Yeah unfortunately we had a misunderstanding when I tried to free him from a barrel. And hit him in the face with a sword. I'm weak on magic anyway, so I'll try going naked and avoiding the mace.