NEurope
Happenstance

Phantasy Star Online 2

As this is turning into yet another tiring war of attrition, I'm out.

To be fair to you I do understand that it's not necessarily the be all and end all if they introduce pay for goods, but seeing that the trade system worked so well on blue burst it would be a shame if they moved away from it.

Likewise I can certainly see why you're concerned about the economic ramifications of purchasable items — you seem pretty invested in Blue Burst, the one version of the game I've never played — but I think it's too early to judge; we don't even know if there will be Section IDs, etc.

I believe the April Beta grants users a set amount of 'real' currency to test the paid systems, so if the are doing anything egregious hopefully they'll be picked up on it before the game's even out. It's certainly possible to screw up free-to-play — and Japanese games tend to have what many would consider a warped view of paid DLC — but the model has improved so much over the last few years one would hope Sega have been paying attention. If they haven't I'm sure fans will let them know.

Got a link? I might give it a go.

There's a guide for it at Bumped's PSUBlog.

Try using Firefox for the sign up and adding Japanese to the language options because the registration blocks you out if the browser isn't Japanese enabled.

If you can't read Japanese, install the Rikaichan plugin so you can highlight the parts you need to fill in so you know what it's asking. Give me a private message if you need help with anything.

The deed is done (I think), thankfully no Japanese captcha in sight :P

Yeah I signed up for the beta too. Phantasy Star Online is one of my favourite games ever, it was truly ahead of its time. Really hope this is done right...

Character Creator Demo is up and any one can download it, SEGA ID or not.

You can also use it to benchmark your computer to see how well the game will run. Pretty nervous because I think my laptop probably wont be able to handle it D=

Will have to give that a try and see how my PC will run it. Im hopeful it should be ok.

On the bright side, it's still got a while until an English release so there's plenty of time for it to be optimized further.

God I hated the days when Minecraft 'progressed' to a new release, only to find it wasted a lot more resources.

Its just annoying when you click update without thinking and then realise you now have to wait for all the mods you use to be updated again because you cant be arsed to downgrade.

Right, my score at full screen 720p is 2406, which is within their recommended 2000-5000 range just barely! Then again, I am using the very bottom settings haha.

It doesn't allow you to use resolutions under 1280x720 if you're playing at full screen just yet, so I'm going to try a lower setting at a lower resolution whilst windowed and see what my best option is.

Ha! My score was around 600 something but ive no idea how to change settings. It seemed to be running fine though.

Wow, really? I can help you a bit with that.

Second option on the launch screen is options. As soon as you click it, you'll see a screen that has a bar that goes from 1 to 5, 5 being the most advanced settings. It's on 3 by default, so try 2 and then 1.

On the top of the options screen, you'll see icons that move you to different sections. The third one from the left, which should be 画面, will give you the options to change the resolution and the screen type. 'フルスクリーン' is full screen, 'ウインドー’ is windowed. Full screen is locked to 1280x720, windowed allows you to use resolutions below that.

And obviously below those two settings is the desired resolution you want to display in as you can probably tell by the numbers heh.

But my full results are in for the benchmark! Anything 2 and above instantly freezes my laptop haha. So, every thing here is mine for the first setting, absolute minimum.

As before, 720p full screen is 2406. Windowed was less than 2000, not ideal.

1024x576 = 4373

800x600 = 5865

640x480 = 7933

Things can only get better, but if I get into the closed beta I'll probably go for 1024x576 presuming they don't lock the option and you're forced to play full screen 720p. But hey, at least it runs! Hopefully they'll allow you to play full screen in any resolution next test.

I guess I should finally get around to playing with the character creator now haha

EDIT: Bumped as usual have managed to make a mini guide for those who can't read Japanese characters.

Edited by Debug Mode

Thanks for letting me know about this.

All of you in this topic, fancy playing some PSO Blue Burst on the private Schthack servers? I'm willing to get back into it again, after all the PSO hype. For those who haven't gone on Schthack before, it's really easy to setup and free, and it's essentially the good old PSO we know and love with extras and server sided saving (greatly reduces hacking).

You can download Blue Burst here, and signup while downloading here.

This is a great opportunity too for those hearing of PSO2 that haven't really played the original much. :)

Edited by Sheikah

Thanks for letting me know about this.

All of you in this topic, fancy playing some PSO Blue Burst on the private Schthack servers? I'm willing to get back into it again, after all the PSO hype. For those who haven't gone on Schthack before, it's really easy to setup and free, and it's essentially the good old PSO we know and love with extras and server sided saving (greatly reduces hacking).

You can download Blue Burst here, and signup while downloading here.

This is a great opportunity too for those hearing of PSO2 that haven't really played the original much. :)

I'll look into. Do miss me some PSO

Awesome. My main character in it is Skeith (good old .hack), I could help you run through some stages you wouldn't normally be able to tackle at your level to get you some of the early levels if you like. :)

Can't recommend this game enough, was probably my favourite ever game on the gamecube.

Haven't played Blue Burst in a while, I'm still rocking it on Gamecube. Well, I can only rock it so much considering the population has completely died.

I'm playing Blue Burst on PC with a HDMI hookup to my 32" in the living room at the moment. People have put out some pretty sweet PC drivers for the wireless PS3 dualshock and keypad, so currently playing it with my PS3 pad and using the official keypad to type.

Replaying has reminded me that this game has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Wow, really? I can help you a bit with that.

Second option on the launch screen is options. As soon as you click it, you'll see a screen that has a bar that goes from 1 to 5, 5 being the most advanced settings. It's on 3 by default, so try 2 and then 1.

On the top of the options screen, you'll see icons that move you to different sections. The third one from the left, which should be 画面, will give you the options to change the resolution and the screen type. 'フルスクリーン' is full screen, 'ウインドー’ is windowed. Full screen is locked to 1280x720, windowed allows you to use resolutions below that.

And obviously below those two settings is the desired resolution you want to display in as you can probably tell by the numbers heh.

But my full results are in for the benchmark! Anything 2 and above instantly freezes my laptop haha. So, every thing here is mine for the first setting, absolute minimum.

As before, 720p full screen is 2406. Windowed was less than 2000, not ideal.

1024x576 = 4373

800x600 = 5865

640x480 = 7933

Things can only get better, but if I get into the closed beta I'll probably go for 1024x576 presuming they don't lock the option and you're forced to play full screen 720p. But hey, at least it runs! Hopefully they'll allow you to play full screen in any resolution next test.

I guess I should finally get around to playing with the character creator now haha

EDIT: Bumped as usual have managed to make a mini guide for those who can't read Japanese characters.

Wow, really wish I read your guide beforehand as I managed to accidently uninstall the program ¬_¬ Think I got a score of 8000 but wasn't paying attention.

I'm playing Blue Burst on PC with a HDMI hookup to my 32" in the living room at the moment. People have put out some pretty sweet PC drivers for the wireless PS3 dualshock and keypad, so currently playing it with my PS3 pad and using the official keypad to type.

Replaying has reminded me that this game has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Ha if you can hook me up with some links, I may finally have a reason to use that wireless pad that I bought lol!

I ran it with max settings in window mode at 1680x1050, which came out with a score of over 800 despite it running incredibly smooth throughout. 1520 on full screen mode, which ran at a flat 40 fps. Score seems...not really reflective of how well it's running. :p

Bleh got a score of 2173 on full settings with fullscreen resolution of 1680x1050. Need a new graphics card. 2 x 5770 aren't much snuff these days.

Wow, really wish I read your guide beforehand as I managed to accidently uninstall the program ¬_¬ Think I got a score of 8000 but wasn't paying attention.

Ha if you can hook me up with some links, I may finally have a reason to use that wireless pad that I bought lol!

Sure, the drivers / config utility to connect your PS3 pad to PC is called MotionJoy (link). The installation is very easy, follow this guide. I bought a Bluetooth micro adapter for my PC for a fiver to connect wirelessly.

Sure, the drivers / config utility to connect your PS3 pad to PC is called MotionJoy (link). The installation is very easy, follow this guide. I bought a Bluetooth micro adapter for my PC for a fiver to connect wirelessly.

Yeah I have the motionjoy drivers but I connect wired. Can I just stick my wireless keypad on top and everything will work or will I need to mess about with some settings? I do have a bluetooth module on my pc but if I want to use it to connect to the pad, I have to overwrite the bluetooth drivers with the motionjoy ones.

Oh wow, got a score on 99 on default settings on my laptop :( 859 on lowest.

Edit: Spent ages making a character and I apparently went and hit the random generate button at the end...

Edited by Ike