NEurope
Happenstance

Phantasy Star Online 2

You have no idea how long i've been wanting something on this since it got teased all those months ago.

I really can't wait for this, hope it plays more like PSO than PSU.

After rewatching the trailer again, I can't help but notice the lack of techs/Forces. Where's my main class?!

Totally forgot they were going to show stuff today! Looks amazing so far and the music was very good in the trailer, very PSO-ish. Liking the character designs as well, it's very much a mix of PSO and PSU in that regard. I want to see more Cast designs though

Jumping is an interesting feature, I noticed the Ranger usually takes the higher ground so I'm wondering they gain some sort of stat boost like higher ATA or something.

Bit odd they didn't show off Forces though I'm sure they're in.

Hopefully a better quality trailer will be released soon, Youtube version was very blurry in fullscreen :P

Gonna be a loooong wait for the English version.

Still PC only? And how much do you pay monthly? Anything on that? How much did you have to pay for the older games?

Wait, I thought it was free on the Gamecube? That was the copy I had and I dont remember paying.

I definitely paid, I never had a Dreamcast. Blue Burst on the PC was free.

Both Dreamcast version were free for Europe, Blue Burst had a monthly charge, but the game itself was free. Episode 3 was tied into the Ep I & II Hunter Licence.

Edited by Ike

Funnily enough in that trailer, I think there was a force, though it had a gun. I want to see me a kick-ass Rafoie.

But I fully agree that we need a good quality trailer.

I very much doubt there's going to be a console port until at least a year after the PC release. Companies like Microsoft and Sony have extremely stupid Quality Assurance policies that require they themselves check it to see it's all good and fit the Terms of service, I think Sony was quoted as saying it takes them 2 weeks. The annoying thing is, this what holds them back outside of Japan.

Microsoft does the same and isn't too cool with the fact updates that provide new content aren't charged for. I think this has been addressed in recent times, but considering some of PSU's developers have said that this shit holds them back from having world wide servers like they had in PSO and want in PSO2.

So it looks doubtful until some partnership gets announced. Maybe they're saving themselves for Wii2? I'd buy it straight away if so.. But if it's just on PC, if you look closely to the screenshots you'll notice that even though it's alpha, it doesn't look like you're going to need a monster of a PC to run it. The backgrounds are pretty static (probably going to change), and the character models are bare basic but can look incredible with a very high anti-aliasing turned on.

Specs for the alpha test for those interested in what the current minimum specification is:

OS Windows XP 32bit版 日本語版, Windows Vista / 7 32bit版・64bit版 日本語版

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 以上

RAM Windows XP:1.5GB以上,Vista/7: 2GB以上

HDD 8GB以上

Resolution 1280×720以上

GPU NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT (And higher)

Sound Card DirectSound対応ボード(DirectX 9.0c以上)

DirectX® DirectX 9.0c以上

Internet (Says broadband or ADSL, no speed requirements)

Pretty accessible for those without amazing builds, but a Japanese operating system for the Alpha makes sense. Aight that's my jap revision for today..

What about trying to download a Japanese OS and emulate it on our own machines to get it running? Not terribly sure how it all works out.

Pretty sure it will still work on the English OS, you just need to mess with your language options. Never heard of a PC program being region locked. I've played the Japanese Blue Burst and PSU fine before.

Oh god yes. But this should definitely be on consoles; PSO was first and foremost the original online console game for many and was loved for being that. And for being awesome.

What about trying to download a Japanese OS and emulate it on our own machines to get it running? Not terribly sure how it all works out.

Pretty sure it will still work on the English OS, you just need to mess with your language options. Never heard of a PC program being region locked. I've played the Japanese Blue Burst and PSU fine before.

Shit that's what I meant. You need an alpha code though which can only be obtained from Japanese Phantasy Star products such as Infinity before 20th of May.

Oh god yes. But this should definitely be on consoles; PSO was first and foremost the original online console game for many and was loved for being that. And for being awesome.

I agree but they had the ease of originally developing for their own publishers console. That and DLC wasn't really deliverable back in those days due to memory constraints etc.

It's a shame, but it doesn't look too resource intensive. I could build a £500 machine that would run it probably on high settings. It's just an MMO after all, well.. they said that about FFXIV if I recall and fuck me that's a resource intensive MMO.

Ahhh yeah. I forgot about how you get the alpha code. Well lets hope we can test the security aspect until it becomes a bit more open :heh:

So, what I said earlier about Arkz from Episode III being EVERYWHERE may not have been true.

PSO Episode III: アークズ

PSO2: アークス

It's not Arkz that's every where, it's Arks. Continuity error? A very coincidental name for the rebel group? Hints that the letter 'z' is to be removed from the English language? I'm just being incredibly picky. It'll probably be the same group but some calamity led to them misinterpreting the name or some shit that won't be addressed..

I hope it's the same group, but that's mainly cause I want some form of connection between this and Ep 1/2/3.

I hope it's the same group, but that's mainly cause I want some form of connection between this and Ep 1/2/3.

Same, considering they pretty much hinted that PSO2 isn't going to be set on Ragol. That's not to say Ragol won't be in the game at all.

Did you ever play Episode IV? Rounded up a lot of interesting questions to the story line but considering how the idea of PSO's story is that you research it yourself within the game, I haven't investigated in Ep 3 or Ep 4 well enough. I hope they keep this aspect.

Did you ever play Episode IV?

I did play Ep IV but very briefly in comparison to how much I played Ep 1&2 and to a lesser extent Ep3...

It was certainly interesting though parts of it felt kind of thrown together? Also kind of sad that particular ep only saw release on the PC, if they suddenly decided to somehow bring PSO Ep 1&2 + IV to say... the 3DS, complete with online and improved mechanics I wonder how many of us would buy it as well as PSO2...

...I would. :heh:

Same, considering they pretty much hinted that PSO2 isn't going to be set on Ragol. That's not to say Ragol won't be in the game at all.

Did you ever play Episode IV? Rounded up a lot of interesting questions to the story line but considering how the idea of PSO's story is that you research it yourself within the game, I haven't investigated in Ep 3 or Ep 4 well enough. I hope they keep this aspect.

I played a fair bit of Ep 4, maybe around the 100 hour mark. I loved the story of Ep 1 and 2 and how parts tied together. Was really fun, gave you that sense that you were reall investigating into what happened. Would be lovely for this to be the same.

I did play Ep IV but very briefly in comparison to how much I played Ep 1&2 and to a lesser extent Ep3...

It was certainly interesting though parts of it felt kind of thrown together? Also kind of sad that particular ep only saw release on the PC, if they suddenly decided to somehow bring PSO Ep 1&2 + IV to say... the 3DS, complete with online and improved mechanics I wonder how many of us would buy it as well as PSO2...

...I would. :heh:

I would, and it's what I wanted since last year. But that's just cause I really want another form of PSO to play. And Ep 3 was great :<

But i'll be more than happy with PSO 2 if it is as good as it looks.

I would, and it's what I wanted since last year. But that's just cause I really want another form of PSO to play. And Ep 3 was great :<

Exactly, it would be awesome to just have it there wouldn't it?

Yes Ep3 was 'great' in some respects but swapping out the real-time combat for card battles? :/ I won't deny that it was fun and I did enjoy it as the system worked well but it's just not PSO really is it...

The art direction was lovely but they seemed to be using it as an excuse to do what the hell they wanted with the gameplay even if it wasn't really what the fans wanted at the time.

This I will say though... the soundtrack is one of the best ever composed in a Sonic Team game, so good that I bought it seperately - 2 disc soundtrack complete with some actual cards lol - because all I have to do is mention one track... Tower of Caelum :heart: anyone else who has played the game will know exactly why I love it... :)

... everyone else will kind of go 'wtf?' :p

I agree but they had the ease of originally developing for their own publishers console. That and DLC wasn't really deliverable back in those days due to memory constraints etc.

Releasing PSU on multiple formats was a massive mistake by SEGA, they weren't able to easily release updates across all formats (PS2). Now they've killed off support for all consoles apart from the PC (in Japan), they are starting to roll out massive updates for it. Updates we won't get because they only support the 360 version in the US/EU.

I can't find the quote now, but they said PSO2 will be "infinitely" expandable which which is probably why it's PC only.

Or course I would like a console version as well but we probably won't see that for a while, or more likely get some sort of portable version.

And Episode IV was great.

I can't find the quote now, but they said PSO2 will be "infinitely" expandable which which is probably why it's PC only.

I remember reading the same. Good thing is doesn't look like it's going to need an extremely powerful PC, it's a good trade off seeing as how easily administrable the patches will be compared to if it were on a console.

Well colour me interested. Loved PSO on the GCN (as if my username wasn't a give away).

I'm still playing PSO on the GC :heh: allbeit offline but still - yes I know about the private servers - I was fighting Olga Flow last night on Ultimate with my level 175 HUmar and for some reason I got this ending that I don't remember seeing before, the one where the credits role and you see both Red Ring Rico and Flowen back to back while the camera pans around.

Its either been a while since I last beat the game on Ultimate - most likely - or that was my first time soloing it, either way I love how the game can still surprise me even today. :)

I've never played a Phantasy Star game but I'm interested.

Thinking of picking up some of the portable games and Universe. They should be cheap now.

I've never played a Phantasy Star game but I'm interested.

Thinking of picking up some of the portable games and Universe. They should be cheap now.

Only the 360 version supports online play now, PS2 and PC servers were killed so keep that mind if you were after online play.

Picked up Portable 2 again because of the hype.

Well colour me interested. Loved PSO on the GCN (as if my username wasn't a give away).

Never occurred to me until you just pointed it out :p