N-Europe

Home learning courses

EEVILMURRAY

Anyone ever got into one of these things?

Because of my dwindling prospects for a career in the foreseeable future I decided on enquiring about a web design course with Home Learning College. They said they were going to send an advisor round who did nothing but put on the pr0 pressure to get me to sign up.

After doing some research they seem to have gotten some rather negative feedback, mainly that they books they send you are full of mistakes etc.

Has anyone been with Home Learning College, or gotten involved with similar and had a good time?

I'm tempted to tell my bank to cancel the Direct Debit.

The boss of my mum has said each employee will get some money put towards doing an evening learning course, so my mum is looking into that. Not quite the same as what you are referring to but least she's looking forward to going back to school.

I would never trust those ones you see advertised on the tv, haven't managed to convince me at all.

http://www.homelearningcollege.com/

It's meant to be the only home learning thing which gives you an NUS card (which implies NUS endorsement) but on one of the sites I read, this isn't entirely the case and it's just they buy accreditation from them.

Here are two sites I've come across:

http://citizenfreepress.blogspot.com/search/label/Con%20Home%20Learning%20College

and an aftermath:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?266151-Home-Learning-College-issue-time-to-take-action!

I would never trust those ones you see advertised on the tv, haven't managed to convince me at all.

Just had a quick peek at the Open University site, one of their courses (starting with law) is only £120. I've just signed up for around £1700 (albeit not the same course)

Not even ICS? I love the way they brag about child psychology as if it's something really really important.

EDIT: This is what I've apparently signed up for:

http://www.homelearningcollege.com/Courses/Internet-And-Web-Design/CIW/

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
The Shadow Knows...

My dad uses Open University a lot (he was one of the first people to get a degree from them) and would probably recommend it. I'm not sure of the quality of other distance-learning courses, but I'd guess it varies hugely.

Few questions:

What did he study?

How much?

Do you know if he got a fair bit of material for his money?

Few questions:

What did he study?

How much?

Do you know if he got a fair bit of material for his money?

He did a BA (I think) in philosophy with maths, and given this was in the 70s, I doubt the pricing was anything like what it is now. And I think he got quite a lot of stuff, he definitely seemed happy. He's also done several creative writing modules more recently, which again he liked - apparently a year's course cost about £400.

He did a BA (I think) in philosophy with maths, and given this was in the 70s, I doubt the pricing was anything like what it is now. And I think he got quite a lot of stuff, he definitely seemed happy. He's also done several creative writing modules more recently, which again he liked - apparently a year's course cost about £400.

And it helped him with his career prospects?

My girlfriend has just finished a Foundation Degree in Canine Behaviour and Training. She did that as a home learning course and she had to go to college in Yorkshire a few times a year. Took her 3 years to complete.

Oh and EEVIL, not sure about the law on this one, maybe someone will know better, but if you have been sold something by someone calling round to see you, then you have a cooling off period where you can cancel and get a refund. Not sure if this is still the case if you invited them in by booking an appointment in the first place but it's worth looking into.

Edited by Dog-amoto

Oh and EEVIL, not sure about the law on this one, maybe someone will know better, but if you have been sold something by someone calling round to see you, then you have a cooling off period where you can cancel and get a refund. Not sure if this is still the case if you invited them in by booking an appointment in the first place but it's worth looking into.

I've been checking the fine print and know I have 7 days to cancel, which I sent them an email yesterday, today and one to my "tutor".

I didn't invite them in per sé, on the site they have the usual "click for more information", give them your email and you expect it sent. But no. You get minimal information and told that someone will contact you.

After this has sorted itself out I think I'll go for Open University (can't believe I forgot about them) and get back into law. That's right, I may defend/prosecute you:

Derek: So you admit to burning down the orphanage?

Michael: There's certain circumstances, see-

Derek: Are you taking this seriously?

Michael: Yes, because-

Derek: Stop talking in green.

Michael: But I'm not -

Derek: Your honour!

Judge: Fuck off ReZ.