NEurope
Pookiablo

Your favourite gamepad?

I was just able to pick up one of these bad boys off of ebay:

n64togc02.jpg

A Nintendo 64 Hori Mini Pad (or something like that). It was officially licensed by Nintendo back in the day. I've never actually used or seen one before but everyone and their dog seems to rave about how much better they are over the traditional 64 controller. I can't wait to give it a go! Nice to see a GC-esque stick on it, my official pads are dying.

Anyway, it got me thinking. What's your favourite gamepad ever? (official or unofficial). I personally thinking the GC controller is the most comfortable, and enjoyable controller to use, even if the D-pad is a little sucky. It's strange because I really don't like the Gamecube in general!

Share your thoughts!

The gamecube was always one of my favourite pads as well, just really comfortable and good button placement.

The controller I always remember the most though was this one I had for the Megadrive:

CompetitionProCover.jpg

My favourite pad is the Xbox 360 controller. If it had one of Nintendo's D-Pads it would be perfect. The fact that it instantly works with a PC is great, too.

I also recently got the Street Fighter 4 pad (the one that looks a bit like a Mega Drive controller), which is great for 2D games (IMO, better than the Classic Controller). I just would have preferred a plain black one.

N64 Controller :yay:

nintendo_64_image.jpg

..look at them there, all lined up.. looking all delicious :hehe: A Nintendo 64 Controller in good condition is hard to beat!

N64 Controller :yay:

nintendo_64_image.jpg

..look at them there, all lined up.. looking all delicious :hehe: A Nintendo 64 Controller in good condition is hard to beat!

Amen brother! Maybe I should change my first choice to an N64 controller come to think of it...I did always prefer the Z-trigger being on the left-hand side (given my left-handedness!).

Plus C-buttons pwn C-stick any day of the week!

I enjoyed the Gamecube Controller a lot at the time.. but going back to it and the N64 Controller now leaves me with no doubt as to which I prefer :hehe:

That Hori Mini Pad looks horrible.. but I would imagine it probably feels pretty great :heh: I may end up posting my top five best controllers.. and my top five worst :eek:

Edited by nekunando

I enjoyed the Gamecube Controller a lot at the time.. but going back to it and the N64 Controller now leaves me with no doubt as to which I prefer :hehe:

That Hori Mini Pad looks horrible.. but I would imagine it probably feels pretty great :heh: I may end up posting my top three best controllers.. and my top three worst :eek:

It really does look utterly deformed. I just hope the stick is as good as they say it is. Ideally, I want to use it instead of my other controllers so that they last longer - a couple of my grey ones are so beat up from relentlessly playing Mario Party 1 and 2 in my youth!

I was looking for a pic of an old mega-drive pad I had, an awesome one with about 30 buttons. Couldn't find it, but I did find this pic:

DSC00733.jpg

This was a surprisingly great N64 controller that I got bundled with Perfect Dark (completely unexpectedly) when I pre-ordered it from Electronics Boutique. I loved it, til I leant it to someone and they broke the analogue stick.

The Wavebird...

800px-WaveBird.jpg

and I loved my yellow N64 controller! We went through a lot of awesome games together! :p

Nintendo%2064%20Controller%20-%20Original%20yellow.jpg&t=1

and I loved my yellow N64 controller! We went through a lot of awesome games together! :p

Nintendo%2064%20Controller%20-%20Original%20yellow.jpg&t=1

Lol my mate was particularly attached to his yellow N64 controller too - dunno why but it always seemed more magical. Must be something in the yellow paint! It does look good though!

The official GameCube pad for me. Best console, best games, best pad. I mean, it even had analogue triggers - a concept not many people understand. The only drawback was the poor d-pad, but I never needed to use that anyway.

That said, for nostalgic reasons, I find the Megadrive pads the nicest-looking and most iconic, especially ones like Happenstance posted.

The official GameCube pad for me. Best console, best games, best pad. I mean, it even had analogue triggers - a concept not many people understand. The only drawback was the poor d-pad, but I never needed to use that anyway.

Analogue triggers were on the Dreamcast pad first, it was the click at the end that was lovely on the 'Cube.

The Wavebird...

I want a standard black controller. I'm not fond of my Wavebird.

What did annoy me about the standard GC controllers was that the wires just werent long enough. They couldnt even reach from the Cube to my bed while all my other controllers could.

The SNES pad is the perfect digital pad

There still isnt a perfect Digital/Analog pad yet but the DualShock 3 comes close

The 360 controller feels nice to hold but the ABXY buttons dont feel right to me. Too rounded and too high maybe? And of course the D-pad is ridiculous

I used to like the Gamecube controller the best, but now I prefer the Dualshock 3. I don't know why it gets so much hate all the time.

The main problem I have now with the Gamecube controller is that my hands are just a little bit too big for it. Its not great for shooters as well, due to the second analog stick being so small, and the shoulder buttons not being quite right, but I don't really remember playing shooters on the gamecube, so it wasn't really that big of a deal.

The DS3 just feels right to me. It fits into my hands well (although it doesn't fit perfectly like the gamecube controllers used to), the analog sticks are just the right size and in just the right place, and the D-Pad works well. The shoulder buttons feel just right for shooters too. The only problem I have with it is the triggers, and after buying a set of Real Triggers it works perfectly.

Agreed! Playing Luigi's Mansion, using both analogue sticks AND analogue triggers to adjust the rate of suck was quite a blast.

Capcom vs. SNK 2 was the only game I needed the D-pad for and its smallity was annoying.

That said, for nostalgic reasons, I find the Megadrive pads the nicest-looking and most iconic, especially ones like Happenstance posted.

Indeed. Jet black and curved in all the right places, like a bat boomerang. I felt just like Batman would if he lied on a couch playing videogames.

psx.jpg

Original PS1 controller without analogues is sick!

I agree that the Yellow/Grey N64 controllers were win also.

Original PS1 controller without analogues is sick!

The prongs on that were so smooth and comfortable. I wonder why they decided to make them horrible and angular in later versions of their controllers.

It's amazing how light they are. Perfect for teh crash bandicoot.

I used to like the Gamecube controller the best, but now I prefer the Dualshock 3.. The DS3 just feels right to me..

..and yet the Dualshock 3 just feels wrong to me :eek: The Sixaxis is even worse due to how light it is because of the lack of rumble :hmm: I'll explain why I don't like it after I run through my Top 5 Best Official Controllers (since the 16-Bit era :indeed:) and my Top 3 Worst Official Controllers..

Top 5 Best Official Controllers

1 N64 Controller

2 Wii Remote & Nunchuk

3 Gamecube Controller

4 SNES Controller

5 PS1 Analog Controller

Top 3 Worst Official Controllers

1 XBOX Controller

2 XBOX Controller S

3 PS3 Sixaxis

Many of you may wonder how the PS1 Controller can be amongst my favourite controllers while I consider the seemingly similar PS3 Sixaxis one of the worst..

Firstly, the PS1 Controller feels much more satisfying in my hands, probably partially due to the weight difference (though, obviously, the Dualshock 3 has a similar weight and I still don't really like it..)

Secondly, the triggers on the PS3 Controllers are nothing short of shocking.. they feel horrible and tacked on :sad:

Finally, I really detest the analogue face buttons :hmm: I find that pressing them doesn't feel as satisfying as pressing a purely digital button and I have played several racing games where you have to press the X Button in frustratingly and uncomfortably hard to reach your full speed (as much a criticism of the PS2 DualShock 2). I almost always play racing games on the PS2 with a PS1 Controller to rectify it..

A Nintendo 64 Hori Mini Pad -- Nice to see a GC-esque stick on it, my official pads are dying.

Nice, a N64 controller with a proper stick...

I like all kinds of controllers...Looking at all the pretty pictures, it becomes so easy to remember what it felt to just hold a particular controller in your hands and play with it...each one has a different and particular feel to it. Very nice...

For functionality, I'd go with GC: good and durable sticks, lots of buttons, fits very well in my hands. For fun and intuition, it's the Wii remote: pointing at the screen just feels so natural...

I do find it awkward going back to previous controllers after playing on the Wii. I've recently dug out my Wavebird, and it's a bit disorientating "finding your way around the pad."

It's a beautiful controller, though. Like others have mentioned, the Gamecube controller wires were toooo damn small. Why didn't anyone ever make a wire that could "extend" if you need a few more inches?

silvextlead633971.jpg

Same principle as that. For that sole reason, that's why I have hardly touched my original Cube pads for donkey's years. The wavebird is just more convenient.

I have to say, I really disliked the Dreamcast controller. There's so much plastic that is wasted. The triggers/shoulder buttons are nice, but that's it. Not a fan of it.

I think you can buy cable extenders, not sure though.

Yeah the Dreamcast pad was a bit big/overly spaced, but i did quite like it, and of course the VMU (at the time) was so sexy!