N-Europe

Data encryption software?

Pancake

I have some files on my computer that i want password-protected. Years ago i had a program Steganos, on disk, that i got free in a magazine, and it was great! It let me password-protect anything, and because i had it on disk, it was there when i needed to reinstall, even if my computer died for the millionth time. But i lost it... and plus it was Windows 98 only.

I was just looking for a similar program, but nowadays 99% of these sorts of programs are download only, and plus require annual subscription charge.

There is a 2008 version of Steganos available on disk, but there were a lot of bad reviews for it, and it put me off.

Does anyone know of any other decent ones? I have some very dodgy pics on my pc, and sometimes my mum uses it.

I'd say in the mean time buy yourself a dongle/harddrive and put everything on there instead. So you can plug in and go but also keep it all of the main pc.

It also stops suspicion I know my parents would have been annoyed/wary if I had password protected files on the family computer.

oooh... sexy Pancake pics?

Yup! :heh: But also some that a few people have sent me. I'm an innocent!

Keeping secrets makes baby Jesus cry.

I hope Mary has some man-sized Kleenex!

Oh, ps: thanks guys. I've not actually gotten round to investigating any of those program suggestions, but i will.

I just thought I'd mention this for anyone who's browsing this thread looking to do something similar in OS X:

Open Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app.

Click the button in the tool bar labelled "New Image"

Select the Folder you want to put the encrypted disk image in, and choose a name for it. For extra security, name it something like Installer.dmg

Choose a size for the disk image. The 100 MB default should be fine, as long as you're not putting lots of large files in it, or just putting a few small documents in it.

Change the encryption to 128 bit. Don't bother with 256 Bit unless you're dealing with "1337 H4X0Rs" ect.

The default settings should be fine for everything else. Click "Create".

Because you've selected an encryption type, you will now be prompted to enter a password. Do so, and then uncheck the checkbox asking you if you want to add the password to your keychain. Press "Ok" when you're done.

The disk image should be mounted, and the .dmg file should be wherever you created it. You can now put any kind of file you want in it. Once you eject it, it becomes secure, and you'll have to enter the password every time you try and mount it.