NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

Well, exploring (especially caves) would be a bit better with lanterns since they emit light when being carried.

I think lanterns are a good idea if they do not require rare or hard to obtain materials and torches do not burn out. Golddust and Netherrack are rumored to be part of the crafting recipe. This would suck.

But a carried lantern makes no sense! (Well, logically it does ... but bear with me!) Mobs don't spawn close enough to you for a carried lantern to ever be effective. The only benefit is having light around you, plus it would give exploration a great atmosphere, but it was sadly never the point of the lanterns.

Oh, and the "hard to get ahold of" part is exactly the reason he wanted to introduce lanterns to begin with: to make torches less effective (read: useless), and to make the more effective lanterns harder to get.

The reason I'm so peeved about it is that the exploration of dungeons has a fitting difficulty level as it is. There are dangers involved, especially if you run into a skeleton, but if you are quick and careful with your torches, you can avoid the mobs. If torches are made useless and lanterns so hard to get (We need to go to hell to get lanterns? Nice one, Notch.), exploration will suddenly become more dangerous than Indiana Jones's adventures!

You seem to be reading in to it wrong. Torches won't be useless as you've mentioned, if anything he's placing them more in the exploration role that you've described. They'll still be viable exploration devices as they'll emite light as they do now, albeit only for a limited time. And you'll still be able to hold off mobs when you need to, with the same ease that you can now. The only difference is it makes you a bit more active in your defense, you can no longer just torch both ends of a tunnel and be safe.

Lanterns being hard to acquire sound great to me, too. They're not the sort of thing you want to be so common that they replace torches. Torches will still be the main lighting source until you've found a place you want to settle and have permanent light. It makes no sense having torches last forever.

Notch has repeatedly said that he wants Minecraft to be really difficult, so you should be glad there are torches to begin with, Danny. :heh:

The only problem I see with lanterns is that you'd need to constantly run back to your home/base/whatever to relight the torches, or it'd be overrun with monsters when you get back from exploring.

You seem to be reading in to it wrong. Torches won't be useless as you've mentioned, if anything he's placing them more in the exploration role that you've described. They'll still be viable exploration devices as they'll emite light as they do now, albeit only for a limited time. And you'll still be able to hold off mobs when you need to, with the same ease that you can now. The only difference is it makes you a bit more active in your defense, you can no longer just torch both ends of a tunnel and be safe.

Lanterns being hard to acquire sound great to me, too. They're not the sort of thing you want to be so common that they replace torches. Torches will still be the main lighting source until you've found a place you want to settle and have permanent light. It makes no sense having torches last forever.

I don't see how it's any different, except you've worded things in a more positive light. I still think it's a horrible idea.

And torches lasting forever makes about as much sense as the fact that you chop wood with your hands and pretty much everything else in the game. :heh:

Notch has repeatedly said that he wants Minecraft to be really difficult, so you should be glad there are torches to begin with, Danny. :heh:

I praise the lord every day. :heh:

The only problem I see with lanterns is that you'd need to constantly run back to your home/base/whatever to relight the torches, or it'd be overrun with monsters when you get back from exploring.

And that's just one of the reasons why it seems to be needlessly complicating things!

Yeah, I agree with Danny... would prob result in too much unnecessary hassle. I mean the torches are just a tool for exploring / creating, not a goal themselves...Also, there's enough difficulty and excitement already, at least for me...even with ever-lasting torches, caverns certainly keep me on the edge of my seat :o

Yeah, I agree with Danny... would prob result in too much unnecessary hassle. I mean the torches are just a tool for exploring / creating, not a goal themselves...Also, there's enough difficulty and excitement already, at least for me...even with ever-lasting torches, caverns certainly keep me on the edge of my seat :o

My point, exactly. Having to relight torches constantly would just make cavern exploration even more dangerous and nerve-wrecking.

Keep torches as they are, still include lanterns a portable source of light. Would be nice.

Sorry for the doublepost, but: Beta 1.4 is out.

* Added tameable wolves

* Added cookies

* Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position

* New Minecraft logo

* Holding shift while climbing will hang on to the ladder

* Spiders will no longer trample crops

* Lots and lots of infrastructure for Statistics lists and Achievements

While most of the code is written, statistics and achievements won’t show up until the next update. We didn’t quite have time to finish them this week, and didn’t want to delay the update longer.

I'm really in a Minecraft mood at the moment. Would be great if we could get a community project going.;)

If we could get a few more people interested, i'd be down with that.

It'd definitely pick up my interest in minecraft again if I had a decent public server to go on, the one Mcoy ran was good, it's just he had problems with hosting it at some point :(.

Mcoy tried the mincraft multiplayer 1.4 today.

Mcoy found 10 wolves at once and tamed them all.

dogsr.png

Edited by Brian Mcoy

This looks awesome. Let's get a server running again. Mcoy, wants some mon33z for servah?

Can Minecraft be put on any online server? If so, I could sort something out.

Edit: Seems you can't.

Edited by Cube

I was wondering if you could just use hamachi instead? It doesn't cost money that way, but I'm not particularly sure of the ins and outs of it.

I was wondering if you could just use hamachi instead? It doesn't cost money that way, but I'm not particularly sure of the ins and outs of it.

It works, but can get very unstable.

Can Minecraft be put on any online server? If so, I could sort something out.

Edit: Seems you can't.

You need one of these if you want to rent the hardware:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

I've tried running a server off of one of my computers, but I'm not sure it can handle more than a few people at once.

Edit:

For some reason mobs (both monsters and animals) have stopped spawning in my world no matter what difficulty the game is set to.

I walked a little ways and saw a ton of mobs frozen in place, as I walked up to them, I myself became frozen in place, weird.

Edited by Emasher

Talked to Mcoy earlier. We're discussing the possibility of getting another server set up, and trying to locate the old world save.

Couple things:

- Would everyone rather start anew or use the old world save? Personally I think we'd be better off starting new but with a grand idea we can all work on whilst working on side projects - like a tunnel network that links all the buildings via the underground :D

- How many of you would actually come back and play? There's no point in us paying for the server if there's nobody to play with!

- Who's excited? :D

I definitely would, I missed playing on the old server and recall playing there when everyone had disappeared! :(

I'd feel awful for playing without paying and since I won't be able to pay for at least two months (until I start getting paid) I don't think I'll play.

Besides, I'm busy with my singleplayer world :p

Edited by drahkon

I've always found the single player mode much more rewarding, so you probably shouldn't count me in. That being said, I do love to see all the things you people create. :)