NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

I used to have this problem while playing World of Warcraft, in the end I just put my laptop ontop of a small box so there was a couple of inches space between it and the desk, never overheated again.

The thing is, when using the cooling pad, there IS a bit of space between the laptop and the surface it's stading on, and the surface is even blowing cool air up on the laptop, yet it still happens.

I had the same problem with another game before, but it disappeared when I started using the cooling pad. Looks like Minecraft is taking too heavy a toll on my poor laptop. :(

Would setting the in-game quality settings to low reduce the amount of heat produced, you think?

*sigh*

So it seems that even with my cooling pad, which works great, Minecraft still makes my laptop heat up to the point where it shuts down as a safety measure. Though it's only the fan area of my laptop that's really overheated - the rest of the laptop seems fine enough.

A laptop stand that lifts your laptop about 20cm above your desk might be the best solution.

Also try this:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

In response to your latest reply, you could try it, but it really depends on what's causing the problem.

What are your specs?

Edited by Emasher

The thing is, when using the cooling pad, there IS a bit of space between the laptop and the surface it's stading on, and the surface is even blowing cool air up on the laptop, yet it still happens.

I had the same problem with another game before, but it disappeared when I started using the cooling pad. Looks like Minecraft is taking too heavy a toll on my poor laptop. :(

Would setting the in-game quality settings to low reduce the amount of heat produced, you think?

Yeah I know theres a bit of space but as you've found out, sometimes that just isnt good enough. Thats why I had to do it the way I did as well.

A laptop stand that lifts your laptop about 20cm above your desk might be the best solution.

Also try this:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

In response to your latest reply, you could try it, but it really depends on what's causing the problem.

What are your specs?

Do you mean my laptop's specs? Because I have no idea about those. :heh:

I have to get back into Minecraft! I've now got a little more free time but 360 games have been taking up my attention span. Maybe I'll try it again now, although I don't know much about this new update!

Here's the results:

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i3 350M @ 2.27GHz (57 °C)

Arrandale 32nm Technology

RAM

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (8-8-8-20)

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 143A (CPU)

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Hard Drives

313GB Seagate ST9320423AS (SATA) (38 °C)

Optical Drives

hp CDDVDW TS-L633N

WRS 6R89QNG SCSI CdRom Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

I'm actually shocked that the average temperature of the CPU is that high!

I just downloaded Speccy to have a look at my laptop and found my CPU is running at 92 degrees C..... o.O

So yours isn't that high :laughing:

No idea how mine is that high. It's ventilated enough but the fan in the laptop is useless and the battery seems to give off a hell of a lot of heat as well ::shrug: Definitely need to get it sorted/replaced. Has trouble running Minecraft, especially since the Halloween update, so I haven't been able to play it properly for months.

Its weird, after one of the latest update my laptop started running Minecraft a lot better, I could even raise the graphical level one or two.

For a laptop that's not bad.

What does the temperature go up to when you're running Minecraft?

Also, are you using a texture pack? (If so, I'd try using either the default one, or another 16x16 one.

Alternatively, turn the graphics settings to fast, decrease the render distance, and increase the fog.

Increasing your fan speed using the utility I posted earlier will also help.

My laptop doesn't feel hot at all at the moment. :heh:

I didn't have any problems running it when I first got my new laptop not that long ago. Perhaps the amount of data I have stored on my laptop now has increased its workload, upping the temperature?

For a laptop that's not bad.

What does the temperature go up to when you're running Minecraft?

Also, are you using a texture pack? (If so, I'd try using either the default one, or another 16x16 one.

Alternatively, turn the graphics settings to fast, decrease the render distance, and increase the fog.

Increasing your fan speed using the utility I posted earlier will also help.

I haven't checked exactly how high it gets when running Minecraft. I'm not using any texture packs, but I can try lowering the in-game settings.

That utility you posted, is that something physical that needs to be installed? Or is it a program I can just install and use?

Just checked it, and the CPU temperature went up to about 82-84 degree Celsius before I closed it, and my laptop doesn't even feel nearly as hot as it normally does when it normally shuts down. I'm gonna try again once it has cooled down and see how well it does with lower specs.

It's a shame that minecraft takes so much, I can run wow and 3dsmax perfectly together but minecraft takes a right battering if I even try with max and itself.

My laptop doesn't feel hot at all at the moment. :heh:

I didn't have any problems running it when I first got my new laptop not that long ago. Perhaps the amount of data I have stored on my laptop now has increased its workload, upping the temperature?

I haven't checked exactly how high it gets when running Minecraft. I'm not using any texture packs, but I can try lowering the in-game settings.

That utility you posted, is that something physical that needs to be installed? Or is it a program I can just install and use?

Just checked it, and the CPU temperature went up to about 82-84 degree Celsius before I closed it, and my laptop doesn't even feel nearly as hot as it normally does when it normally shuts down. I'm gonna try again once it has cooled down and see how well it does with lower specs.

I haven't actually used it, as I have physical switches that I use to control fan speed, but it is just software. I've used something similar in Mac OS X on my laptop though, and it helps to a certain extent.

80C+ is quite hot for a laptop.

Generally my laptop's CPU temperature is about 60 degrees.

I can't seem to get it the program to work. It doesn't register any fans.

Alternatively you cold look and see if your motherboard's BIOS has any fan settings, although, I don't recommend mucking around there without knowing what you're doing.

I quite fancy getting back into this a bit, but don't really want to play alone. Does anyone have any servers running at the moment? I really enjoyed it when we were all playing together so I'd love to try that again.

I wouldn't mind getting back into the multiplayer either.

I've been playing singleplayer for a while due to the server I was on being shut down.

I played on singleplayer yesterday for about 5 hours straight, built myself a nice house. Would like to be involved in a multiplayer project. Raining had a server a few weeks ago, not sure if it's still going.

Alternatively you cold look and see if your motherboard's BIOS has any fan settings, although, I don't recommend mucking around there without knowing what you're doing.

I have no idea what you're even talking about, so I'll stay clear of it lest I fuck things up. :p

At the moment my CPU temperature is down at 47 degrees, which is surprisingly low compared to yesterday. But it also said it was at 55 degrees when I just booted my laptop up, so I don't know. Basically I have no idea what temperature my laptop is/should be.

From what I understand, most laptop CPUs idle around 50C, so your idle temperature is fine. The highest temperature you can safely operate at is usually around 75C-90C, but it depends on the system.

Its possible that its your graphics card overheating if you're bellow those temperatures with the CPU though. Unfortunately. Speccy doesn't list the GPU temperature, so you'll have to download this tool: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to check it.

From what I understand, most laptop CPUs idle around 50C, so your idle temperature is fine. The highest temperature you can safely operate at is usually around 75C-90C, but it depends on the system.

Its possible that its your graphics card overheating if you're bellow those temperatures with the CPU though. Unfortunately. Speccy doesn't list the GPU temperature, so you'll have to download this tool: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to check it.

Well, the CPU temperature did go up to 80 when I tested it on Minecraft last night, so it's not unlikely that prolonged playing would have kicked it up to 90 and shut the system down. It's just a shame, really, that Minecraft takes such a toll on my system.

Is that with "Fast" graphics, "Near" render distances, and high fog levels, or on higher settings?

Edit:

I've got a server going, PM me for the address, also, tell me your username so I can whitelist you.

Everyone is welcome to join, however, for now, the limit is 10 players at once, as I don't know what my computer can handle.

Rules:

No stealing from people's chests

No destroying other people's creations (Pranks are fine as long as they can easily be cleaned up)

Stay relatively close to the spawn point (you don't have to stay right there, just don't crash the server by exploring too much)

Don't start forest fires

Replace trees you cut down

Don't clear/destroy the landscape in large areas without building on it

Don't build right beside other people's little areas without permission

Notes:

There are no mods running on the server, including grief protection.

Mobs and PVP are turned off for now.

There is a whitelist, PM me to get on it.

I'll probably only be running it in the evening.

Edited by Emasher

Does anyone know if the spawning rules got changed in 1.3? I've just completed a mob spawner using a design I've used in the past, but mobs just aren't spawning in it for some reason. They do spawn in the world at night though, so it has nothing to do with the server rules.

Coming soon to an Xbox (and PC) near you:

http://www.fortresscraft.com/

First impression everyone has: Minecraft clone. Will fail.

Further info: Apparently it's more inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and done in a Minecraft/Infiniminer style.