Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Architecture Student Laptop

kcl91

Hey,

I got accepted into Uni to study Architecture and now I’m hunting for the perfect laptop for the course. Can anyone recommend me something?

My preferred specifications are:

Windows 7

Intel Core i5 Processor

1GB Dedicated Graphics Card

15.6/16 Inch Screen (HD if possible)

4GB RAM (or higher)

320GB HDD (or higher)

DVD Drive

Warranty

The Acer Aspire Timeline X looked amazing, but it didn’t have the dedicated graphics which I need. I’ve looked at Sony, Dell, Acer, PC World, Curry’s etc. but I can’t decide, so I thought I’d ask for an expert opinion :)

I’d prefer to buy it in person, but I don’t mind if it’s online.

Thanks in advance,

Kcl91

Firstly, change course - architects are agents of the devil (I'm a civil engineer).

More seriously, do you actually need the portability? If it's not absolutely essential, you're better off with a desktop - my laptop almost matches the specifications you posted, and it still chugs when things get complex in AutoCAD, Microstation, Integer SuperStress or the rough idea's best friend, Google Sketchup, and I never have to do any aesthetic architectural details.

If the laptop is essential, then at least tell us what kind of graphic chipset your looking for - it's built in RAM only really differentiates it from alternative models with the same chip.

I use an asus and autodesk works perfectly well on mine, it has lower spec than what you're considering.

I would personally avoid Dell, but if you like them, then stay away from buying directly from them, it can get quite expensive when there's no need, I've heard lots of good stuff about Sony!

Ebuyer is definitely my favourite place - its online, but they deliver within a few days, my friend from ireland managed to get his within 5 days.

The fish is right though, if you can a desktop will be much cheaper at that spec.

Most of the stuff you'll be doing in first year for Architecture, if not all of it, will be away from PCs. So essentially, you could simply go with a standard laptop and upgrade later as you'll rarely be using Auto/ArchiCad or any of the other design programs. First year is really about getting you used to the real drawing aspects and understanding the fundamental design and historical aspects of the subject.

But I would kind of agree with The Fish in that a laptop may not be the best idea for architectural work. They'll be fine for the basic things in most design programs but even with a good hardware loadout, it'll still take ages to render things as they become more complex. Hell, I even had issues getting the desktops at college to render some of my design work in 3D and they were setup to do architectural stuff for us. Didn't help that ArchiCad sucks though.

For 3D stuff a desktop is always the best option but I think you also need a Laptop that can handle 3D well, because I guess at some point you will work in groups and then you need a portable solution that is still powerful enough to run 3D programs.

As Ganepark32 pointed out, usually the first year is a lot of basics so I guess a Laptop with a mid-range graphicscard should do you fine, and once performance demand goes up, you can buy an up-to-date desktop PC.

That way you have a powerful solution to work with and if the need arises you can also put your work on the Laptop.

That said... you won't want to fork out on another system half-way through uni...

I had a friend who studied this at Leeds and he did actually touch on AutoCAD and Max in his first year, with Mental Ray being suggested for some of his first year pieces.

Whether or not you encounter these in your first year you'll eventually have to have a system to tackle them.

A desktop is far superior for these kind of tasks (I currently have two friends who have this week bought parts for a desktop after their laptops couldn't handle their second year work very well)... but, you've obviously decided on a laptop for good reason.

One thing I'd suggest is actually checking out the recommended system specs for AutoCAD/Max and other such programs.

I think I have a recent issue of 3D World that has suggested specs for architecture work... I'll see if I can dig it out tomorrow when the sun is about.

Wow thanks for the quick replies.

I'll need a laptop as I will be moving around alot (train journeys etc.) so a desktop is out of the question.

Right now, the above laptop might see a bit much for a first year student, but I'd rather invest in a great laptop that will last a good amount of years.

As for the graphic chipset, I really dont mind (AMD, Nvidea etc.).

For my budget of £900, the Sony Vaio E series seems good, but I'm just a tad worried about the delivery time of 4-5 weeks (as I'm off 4 weeks today!)

But yeah, i still don't know. Gonna have a peek around PC World on Monday =]