N-Europe

Captain America: The First Avenger

Murr

Although i don't know this is my 'guess'.

The impression i got is that everything he has is just accelerated compared to a normal human. Faster, stronger, quicker at healing etc.

So i don't think he would grow a limb back as we can't do that but potencially survive from a bullet because his body would try to heal faster and humans could also survive from that depending on how bad it is etc.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't think his healing goes beyond accelerated, I don't think he'd be able to grow back a limb.

Although i don't know this is my 'guess'.

The impression i got is that everything he has is just accelerated compared to a normal human. Faster, stronger, quicker at healing etc.

So i don't think he would grow a limb back as we can't do that but potencially survive from a bullet because his body would try to heal faster and humans could also survive from that depending on how bad it is etc.

Ah right yeah makes sense, cheers guys.

I saw this the other day. It does a lot of things right, and I enjoyed it to some extent, but there are two things that are nagging me:

1-This a WWII movie. Even if supernatural elements are added to create a "secret war" of sorts, it is jarring to see the Americans and the Red Skull using sci-fi equipment where there should be none. Is it that hard to make an action movie without futuristic-looking equipment?

2-The ending. I prefer movies to stand by themselves, instead of tacking a big "follow-up hook" at the end.

I think the futuristic tech is just one of those things that you have to accept because its a comic universe not a period movie. WWII progressed differently in the Marvel U.

As for the follow up hook at the end, well theres not much I can say. Marvel have managed to bring their own comics universe to the movie one, things link, things carry on from one movie to the next. Its just the way this series of movies is evolving and personally I love it.

Yeah, I understand why the follow-up was made, I just don't like needing to watch X movies in order to fully enjoy another one. Opinions and stuff.

I think the futuristic tech is just one of those things that you have to accept because its a comic universe not a period movie. WWII progressed differently in the Marvel U.

Doesn't stop it from being utterly anachronistic, and causing a mood whiplash.

It's one thing to say "Americans were developing super soldiers during WWII, while the Nazis/Hydra had divine powers". It's another one to show high-tech laboratories (that are unrelated to both supernatural developments, featuring devices that are advanced by today's standards, no less) next to a 30s Brooklyn.

It just... broke suspension of disbelief too much.

I didn't find that at all, thought everything fitted into the Marvel Universe and what they were trying to portray just fine. Could totally go with it.

Think the film stands alone alright aswell... because that's his story... wakes up 'so many' years later and leads The Avengers. OK so it's been accelerated, they could have done more with him in WW2, but it works.

Question about Cap... how 'regenerative' is he?

So he says in the film about the serum meaning his liver heals itself/recovers for example... but if he was shot in one of his organs and the bullet removed, would he quickly heal?... if his hand was chopped off for example... would it slowly regenerate over time?

Everything about Cap is just kind of perfected- so he deals with alcohol in his body too fast to get drunk, he heals faster than normal and all his physical attributes - strength, agility, balance etc are just beyond what's conventionally possible for humans. Also, depending on who writes him I think his brain gets a boost too, which is why he can remember the map perfectly in the movie. In the books he's shown learning languages, computer tech and so on at rapid speeds.

Course the real 'super power' behind Cap is that Steve Rodgers was hero long before he got the serum anyway, which is what really earns him his place on the Avengers when so many other characters are tougher, stronger and faster than him.

^ I didn't really know much about Captain America before watching this film but i love how they portrayed him and really shown that it is HIM as a person and his mind which makes him 'Captain America', he has just had everything boosted up to match so he can stand his own in battle.

Basically i felt the film really portrayed that well as like i said i didn't know much about him and that is the impression i got walking away from the film! :)

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/119/1190741p1.html

The Falcon in Captain America 2?

Captain America: The First Avenger co-screenwriter Christopher Markus has shared some of his hopes and ideas for what -- and who -- fans might expect to see in Captain America 2.

Speaking with PopcornBiz, Markus said that the sequel could either tell another World War II adventure of Cap's, or more likely explore Cap's contemporary dilemma of being a "man out of time" in the 21st century.

The scribe also revealed that he hopes to have both Cap's love interest Sharon Carter (a blood relative of the first film's Peggy Carter) and Cap's occasional crime-fighting partner The Falcon appear in the next installment.

As Markus explained, "Sharon is meaty, almost to a point where you get a little uncomfortable because her relation to Peggy has shifted over the years, as time has passed. She's the sister, she's the cousin, she's the niece. You have to walk a fine line there because it does seem like you're dating your girlfriend's daughter. Falcon is awesome. We can't play with time so much to have Cap go back to Harlem in the '70's and clean up the streets, but it would be awesome to go straight up, like, 'Shaft' with Cap and the Falcon."

cap-falcon-cover4_1314314278.jpg

Falcon looks dumb!

Interesting to read they haven't completely ruled out revisiting WW2... though who knows how they'd go about it.

Edited by Retro_Link

Well I don't think it would be hard. There was nothing in the first movie that suggested other missions couldn't have gone in-between the ones we saw.

I've never been a big fan of Falcon so I'd rather not see him turn up in any sequels.

To me there was nothing in the first film that really suggested he had time for any other missions... his first 'mission' was rescuing Bucky et al... and then after that he was focused on quickly getting to all the other facilities so Red Skull didn't have time to react.

The only way I could really see them doing it (without travelling back in time) is if they 'pretended' we were mislead by the ending of the WW2 section in the last film... and Howard Stark did actually find Cap (albeit he left his shield behind in the plane wreckage... to be found later)... and he went on to do a few other missions... before somehow getting frozen again (or some other way for him to be suspended until the present day), lolz!

Yeah I'd rather see modern stuff.

Falcon could be cool. From what I know of their relationship (having never actually read comics about it) it was an attempt to pair two heroes together to havep political/social commentary-tinged adventures, in the vein of DC's Green Lantern/Green Arrow series. Like Cap having to look at a different side of America in Harlem blah. That kinda idea could be brought into modern times I think, but would take a lot of careful writing and planning.

Well I hope it's not too much of a partnership because Caps capable of carrying films by himself, so I'd be wary of this team up... especially as early as a sequel. It kinda made sense in Iron Man 2 (but even then the team up only happened right at the very end for 5 minutes).

http://uk.bluray.ign.com/articles/119/1192089p1.html

We're still waiting for an official announcement from Paramount, but Bluray.com has the goods on the upcoming release of Captain America: The First Avenger, coming DVD, Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray on Oct. 25.

Here's the unconfirmed listing of special features:

--Audio Commentary with director Joe Johnston, cinematographer Shelly Johnson and editor Jeffrey Ford

--Outfitting a Hero

--The Assembly Begins

--Howling Commandos

--Heightened Technology

--The Transformation

--Behind the Skull

--Captain America's Origins

--Deleted Scenes

--Marvel One Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer

--The Avengers animated series trailer

captain-america-the-first-avenger-3d-20110901044900438-000.jpg

captain-america-the-first-avenger-3d-20110901044812512-000.jpg