NEurope
Jimbob

Space and the Universe

It's relatively clear in Wales atm, so hopefully remains that way for the rest of the day so viewage can be done.

Unfortunately there's a light, but very covering layer of clouds in the sky here. With a little luck it might clear up come nightfall.

Clouded over here now.

... still, hopefully tomorrow and the next night should be the best showing, so hopefully there will be better luck then! *fingers crossed*

Well, it actually has cleared here, but I now realise the area is too brightly lit; it's not easy to make out the stars, much less any meteors.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane
My grasp of the English language slipping

Not any city light here for hundrend of miles to disturb the view here, but it's cloudy 90% of the time. It seems clear behind the islands, but that's the Atlantic Ocean and I'm not getting on a ferry now :p How long this does last?

I did see a falling star last year. My second in my entire life(about 8-10 years since last). So short, but so beautiful. Does the wish count if you thought of it after? :p

Edited by Tales

So super awesome physicists weighed the universe, checked it's curvature geometrically, and found that the total universal energy cancels to 0. Meaning an universe can create itself from nothing. Also, they removed all radiation and particles from a small location, seeing that nothing both weighs something and contains energy. Dark energy and dark matter.

So yeah, awesome. Lawrence Krauss talks about it. Listen to this amazing guy here.

It doesn't look real, but surreal.

It's photos taken in different ways (one red, one green, one blue), put together and altered to make everything more visible. The real thing would be darker.

Saw this on Sky News earlier, Click Here. Hubble has managed to photograph some of the Universe's oldest galaxies.

If all goes to plan, Rosetta will arrive at Churyumov-Gerasimenko in August before descending to the comet several months later.

Huh, when I heard this morning bout the "wake-up call" I assumed it meant they were prepping to land soon... like within the week :heh:

Huh, when I heard this morning bout the "wake-up call" I assumed it meant they were prepping to land soon... like within the week :heh:

Didn't you know, spacecraft take forever to wake-up.

I remember reading about the Rosetta mission ages ago, looking forward to seeing how it goes. If it works NASA plan to put a manned mission onto an asteroid.

Bumping this thread up for a live event - NASA's Orion space craft is about to embark on it's maiden test flight. If successful this is the vehicle that will take the first human beings to Mars and beyond in years to come. Launch expected 12:05 GMT.

Watch Live Here

Unfortunately I forgot about this and didn't get a chance to watch it until after. By the sounds of things, humans visiting mars is still around 20 years away, but now that the type of spacecraft that will most likely be used to get there has flown a successful mission (or rather "Flight Test"), it feels that much more real. I mean, there are humans, right now, working on a spacecraft that will be capable of human interplanetary travel.

Edited by Emasher

Saw this one today. Amazing. I love space photoes taken during night.

Kopiavafp000883320-zNGBP4s4yt.jpg?updated=270520151348