N-Europe

My Car Caught Fire

Murr

Well...

Rant time...

at the end of June the cluth on car broke costing me £180 to repair.

in July my MOT came up to £280.

Last wednesday my left rear tyre was slashed in a cinema carpark costine me £70.

Today my friends well... i was at some traffic lights, about to pull away and loads of smoke appears from beneath my bonnet.

i pull over to the side of the road, mount the curb as to prevent causing traffic and unlock the bonnet with the ignition left running. when i lift the bonnet i'm surrounded by smoke and flames... from the part where you check the oil... i Shat myself... screamed at my girlfriend to get out of the car, turned the igniton off.. called fire brigade.

when they arrived the fire was out, they checked it over and gave the AA the go ahead to tow the car home.

i'm not sure as to how much it'll cost to repair as it's not been picked up by mechanics yet. how ever i'm not expecting a nice bill.

what i've learnt from all this is that my car is a cock which knows when i've been paid and decides to break on me the day after being paid in order to suck what little money i do have for myself after paying my bills on it.

GGGRRRR i'm a little angry people so figured i'd vent it here.

i've come to the conclusion that once repaired (if not written off) i'll sell it and get something new. It's only a 7 year old Corsa.

whats the worst car troubles you guys have had.

I feel for you, sounds like you're making the right choice getting rid of it.

I've only really had two big driving mis-haps:

1. In my old 206, driving along in the outside lane at top speed rear puncture. Managed to control it and pull over, bloody scary for the few seconds it took, tyre was roasting hot once we came to a stop. Highway patrol came and protected me while I swapped the wheel over, still bloody scary with giant lorries thundering past. Got the tyre changed and all was good. Not too expensive.

2. Driving to work in my Lotus, silly bint didn't look when changing lanes and drove straight into the side of me. Happened to catch my front wheel and ripped a very small piece of the chassis. You could hardly see the damage from the outside, but the slight tear in the chassis meant a replacement was needed. This happened in March and I'm still waiting to get the car back. She then had the cheek to sue me for causing her whiplash, something my insurance company have been sorting out due to it being so ridiculous. I should have the car back when I'm back from America on the 26th of August. Estimated repair bill is about £15k.

Worst I've done to my car is:

car2.jpg

We thought the internals weren't attached to the window for a long time, but it was a botch job done first time it fell out, that meant the plastic inner of the door wasn't fixed correctly and it was catching. (done by toyota dealer 1st time) It was reglued twice, then they realised and fixed up the door inside for free the 4th time I went back =P

car2-2.jpg

I did this on our hellish drive... I used to have to park in the worst place ever and reverse back up a hill and turn without hitting the wall behind and hitting the post in front. So one day I did, took a few pebbles with me but no serious damage :P Now my mum lets me park my car in the garage, yay :heh:

Its a good little scar to keep on the car because 1/ its harmless (plastic so no rust damage etc) and 2/ it reminds me to always be careful and not take my little car for granted =P

Not really had too much go wrong touch wood.

My first car was a Mk2 Astra. Drove like a tank. One day the radiator decided to burst, I was in the middle of traffic. Smoke ahoy. The AA man came and saved me though.

I also got a burst front left tyre on a dual carriage way. Twas scary but my super driving skills enabled me to pull over safely and promptly change the tyre.

In my second car my mk3 Fiesta I only really had one incident. Bumped into the back of oli1983uk's car. Didn't damage his car at all but my headlight smashed :(

In my current car - Mk4 Astra, I haven't had any incidents......yet.

Edited by Platty

Funny this thread should come up today...

Driving to work this morning I somehow got a puncture. I didn't even notice until I got out the car so it must've happened in the last stretch on the small country road. Found a large shard of metal in the tyre. To make matters worse the bolts were on so tight I couldn't get them off so had to call the AA man out to change my tyre. Felt like a complete tit because its such a simple job. £39 for a new tyre which could be worse.