NEurope
Happenstance

Green Lantern

Just had a half hour conversation with a friend about this, haha. Also ReZDaily took about 15-20 minutes to film (heavily edited and breaks so its not that long), so I'm GL'd out. I will try and muster some words now though;

Non-Spoiler

Green Lantern is a huge movie, based on an even larger mythos. I feel the film does extremely well at giving the information of the concept in small doses, so as not to overwhelm the viewer. I do not feel the dialogue is anywhere near as bad as critics cite - merely that this is a big, bright and bold, colourful and cheesy romp that skips between Super Hero and Science Fiction! So some of the dialogue is bound to be cheesy, but I found very very little of it actually bad.

The film has a fair amount of nicely done humour. Indeed the whole cineam (albeit a small crowd) seemed to all laugh and enjoy it.

Some characters definitely feel under used and I was a little surprised between the split between Earth and Space...but not necessarily in a bad away. It gives us a lot of time to get to know the core characters of the film (specifically Hal) and although we don't get to see the Corps a MASSIVE amount, I don't find it to be a major flaw, as this first (hopefully not only) film should be and is Hal's story.

The things that the film gets right it gets SO RIGHT. Great fight scenes, its funny, I like all casting and don't hate any for sure! I was personally pleasantly surprised by Blake Lively, found her to give the feistyness that is needed for Carol Ferris and great to look at.

Anything more I could really touch upon would be a bit spoilery so I'll leave it at that for now at least.

Enjoyment/fan of GL. 9/10

As a film on its own. 7/10

(The bottom score literally just rating it as a FILM...not as an entity and enjoymentness....so the top score is my TRUE score).

Damnit :heh: for some reason now I really want to see it. Even though it got rated so badly, somehow I just know I'll really enjoy it. Going tomorrow night fosho.

Quite bad. But so great to me.

Carol Ferris. Yes. You'd be a complete fool to cross her. I loved her really realistic reaction when standing a foot away from her childhood best friend. Like what you would say/do. I'm so ready for Star Sapphire.

*Enjoyed* Hector Hammond, when I anticipated I'd hate the feeling. I loved how his power was shown to be great.

I loved how Parallax had a really shit face. I kept lol'ing. I loved. I loved the Guardians too. "Piss off Sinestro, like we really give a shit." And I loved how we were forced to just deal with Abin Sur's face/voice/presence. And loved how Hal just dealt with things so easily.

The constructs were orgasmic. So satisfying to look at. No, too satisfying to look at. Made the GL's feel cool. Like, made me want to have a ring and be great.

ALSO, Ryan Reynolds is *so* hot. Into skintight/"naked" costume. I'm into that shit. His bum is my favourite thing in the world right now.

I loved how it had Fantastic Four 2 Syndrome. Where no one seems to care the world is ending. It's so jokes. My favourite aspect of the film. How people were screaming at Parallax, but only mildly. Felt really underplayed. I loved.

I kinda hate how Amanda Waller didn't have indomitable. She didn't have fat. But I enjoyed the nod to her backstory, so its fine.

READY for GL2, with Sinestro Corps. AND Star Sapphire.

Probably my favourite comic book movie. Really hard to rate though, because it was quite bad in a lot of ways, but my favourite thing in others.

2D FTFWTBH.

You're the best.

I forgot to mention - loved the ("Nintendo") reference/Easter Egg and laughed to myself because of its context.

Saw it last night, what a mess.

I liked how Hal defeated Paralax though, but otherwise..

edit: also, did they have to have the politician dad of Hector look like a porcelain doll? wtf was up with that.

Edited by Ronnie

Saw it last night, what a mess.

So bad.

3.5/10.

Yup. I seen it yesterday with my mates and all 4 of us thought it was terrible. We spent the journey home slagging it off. I had my 3DS in my pocket and I was tempted to play Zelda just so I was entertained.

The one thing I liked was...

When Green Lantern went to see the girl and she knew it was him.

For me it is the worst comic book movie since Elektra.

I thought it was great, my friend hated it.

I don't see what there is to not like - unless it's a case of the comics are better (same argument for harry potter or lord of the rings I guess) and the film doesn't live up to them.

Obvious that he was going to pull him into a sun though. Killawog's training and the whole fighter jet thing at the start. It was inevitable. I think my only real complaint there though was that it looked too easy.

Didn't watch the bit in the credits because I would've felt bad forcing my friend to stay through them lol and did you say there was a Nintendo reference ReZ? I missed it if there was.

I thought it was great, my friend hated it.

I don't see what there is to not like - unless it's a case of the comics are better (same argument for harry potter or lord of the rings I guess) and the film doesn't live up to them.

Obvious that he was going to pull him into a sun though. Killawog's training and the whole fighter jet thing at the start. It was inevitable. I think my only real complaint there though was that it looked too easy.

Didn't watch the bit in the credits because I would've felt bad forcing my friend to stay through them lol and did you say there was a Nintendo reference ReZ? I missed it if there was.

SPOILERS - After Credit Scene (Although its mid-credits scene really).

I too don't see how anyone could hate it as much as people seem to. Its one of those times where I just don't get it...like...at all.

Like in Revolutionary Road - thought the performances were DREADFUL but apparently it was Oscar worthy. :/

-----------------

Hector Hammond had a copy of Pokemon Sapphire on his desk. :D

Now Peeps, you have read ReZ's favourite comic. Will you join us and read his second? Its a little more complicated on what to read so (The Comic Thread) will guide you. :)

---------

Lulz

image.php?u=3580&dateline=1300912706

262762_10150644108195581_509970580_19197703_1076147_n.jpg

Just back from seeing this with the wife.

It was good, enjoyable, but not great, I'd say a 7/10 is a good score

I think the pacing of the film maybe let it down a bit. It didn't feel like there was enough action in it. The training bit could have done more, though I guess then they wouldn't have been able to make him go back to Earth thinking he'd "quit"... I didn't get that though, if he quit why did he still have the ring?

Or was this copying something from the comics? (I didn't read any, I've actually got most of my GL info from reading Wikipedia articles :heh:)

It just felt a little let down they they had all these powered up heroes and we saw so few of them. When Sinestro took a few to go fight Paralax I was expecting a lot more form that scene. But then thought maybe they were saving it for the ending?

But the final fight, though entertaining not what I expected? Again I was expecting a ton of other Lanterns to come in and help, afterall this thing was supposidly their worst nightmare, how was one rookie gonna beat it? Oh toss it into the sun... and nobody else in the 3000 plus Lanterns thought of this?

But yeah a film with flaws yes, but I did enjoy it and so did the wife (and she knows nothing about any comic books)... could have done with a bit more action and would have liked to see more interaction between Hal and other Lanterns... was hoping for some dialogue between him and Bzzd, I'm sure Reynolds could have adlibed(sp?) a nice comedy moment there.

That's another thing actually while I loved Reynolds in it felt like he wasn't afforded much freedom... or perhaps the script just didn't allow for it?

Loved the part when he was first trying to use the ring and wondering what the Oath was and goes "To Infinity and Beyond" and "By the Power of Greyskull", that second one cracked me up.... though I think only me and oddly the next to me got it as nobody else in the cinema seemed to chuckle... only at the first one

And the Mask? From the moment he saved everyone at the party I was thinking, how could they not see that is Hal? The mask doesn't cover much at all? This isn't gonna be another Superman type thing where apartently you can look a totally different person without glasses and some hair gel? Then he goes to see the girl and at first it looks like she can't tell it's him and I was going "oh what the frak, come on"... then see goes "Hall is that you", haha, loved that, it's like they played with my own thoughts :heh:

I did spot the Pokemon cartrigde.... thought that was a bit random, why would that have just been lying there? Or was someone in the film/crew a big Nintendo fan or something?

WHy oh WHY did the first few notes of the old Superman theme keep getting used?

That was highly off putting for me everytime I heard it? Couldn't they have come up with the films own Green Lanertn original theme?

Oh toss it into the sun... and nobody else in the 3000 plus Lanterns thought of this?

A few people have said this, but I think the main point is, Hal had just been taught that specific lesson from Kilowog, and Parallax's battle with Hal was at a point when Parallax had never been bigger, (like...not anywhere near as big), so it wasn't really a viable thing for anyone else to think of beforehand.

I did spot the Pokemon cartrigde.... thought that was a bit random, why would that have just been lying there? Or was someone in the film/crew a big Nintendo fan or something?

I think it was just because Hector was a massive nerd/ The kind of guy they would think would have that apparently. :p

Also, it was clear that none of the other Lanterns apart from Sinestro actually gave that much of a shit / were scared / had other things to do with their lives. It was only because Earth was Parallax's next target that Hal was the one to defeat it/him.

Plus in the comics he is (the first person?) to overcome (being possessed?) by Parallax, due to his epic epic ability to (overcome great fear), or something along those lines - so Parallax's greatest tool clashed with Hal's greatest defence.

I kinda hated the pointless flashback to his father's death. Added nothing worthwhile, and only made the story a little bit more cliche. It would have worked fine without the flashback, and if the story had shone through a bit with dialogue.

A few people have said this, but I think the main point is, Hal had just been taught that specific lesson from Kilowog, and Parallax's battle with Hal was at a point when Parallax had never been bigger, (like...not anywhere near as big), so it wasn't really a viable thing for anyone else to think of beforehand.

What needs to be viable about tossing someone/something into the sun/a star?

If it burns it burns.... if anything it's actually a bit of a lazy way to finish the fight (or is that what happened in the comics?) as if they do get round to making a seqeul and Hal comes up aggainst another "Unbeatable" foe everyone will just probably just think "why doesn't he just chuck him into the sun? :heh:

As for the rest of the Corps actually not caring about Earth (some heroes they are so) or being scared of Parallax... at the very least they could have had Kilowog and fishface (forgot his name) do some fighting, especially Kilowog, he seemed like the kind who'd be well up for anything... guess I just wanted to see some multi Lantern action :heh:

(or is that what happened in the comics?)

Parallax is uber uber hard in the comics, and isn't dead.

Parallax_rebirth.jpg

:yay:

I saw it and not knowing anything about it i must say i enjoyed it.

It is no Dark Night but i would give it a solid 7/10.

Everything was adequitly explained. My wife hated it, which means it was a good film!

Just got back from seeing it. Overall I really enjoyed it but I can certainly see where the complaints about odd pacing and the feeling that certain scenes were just missing from the movie came from.

I thought Ryan Reynolds did a good job as Hal Jordan but one thing did keep pulling me out of the movie a bit and it wasnt really his fault. There were just these moments every now and again that because it was Ryan Reynolds in the role, I kept expecting a joke and none came. It wasnt even that one was needed, it was just because it was him.

I think overall I thought Blake Lively did a good job as Carol Ferris but there just seemed to be one or two moments where she was a bit iffy.

For the most part the effects were good but once again there were one or two moments where they looked a tad ropey.

Oh yeah, whats with his best friend being Moss from the IT Crowd??? :p

The missing scene complaints I mentioned earlier. The biggest being not showing Abin Sur actually crashing on Earth. It may have been a decision they made not to show it but it was quite jarring, just one moment he is in space and the next he is on Earth.

The other major one was Hal having the conversation with his buddies about Paralax and then suddenly he is on Oa. I understand that was probably done for suprise at him appearing infront of the Guardians but it didnt work.

Oh yeah I wanted to ask, did anyone see John Stewart? (possibly already talked about, I havent read the spoiler tags yet) I assume he was at the test of the new planes at the beginning but I forgot to look, I know he is supposed to be in the movie.

I liked the way Paralax looked most of the time, only time I didnt was when you got a wide shot of him chasing Hal through space. I also liked the fact that he was basically just possessing a guardian and that wasnt his real form/face.

There was one bit at the end as well when Hal was being held from the sun by the two jets that I could have sworn I was looking at Kyle Rayner, made me a bit sad as well as I just prefer that character so much to Hal.

As usual there will be more i'll wanna talk about but I cant remember it right now.

As a Green Lantern and movie fan id give it a 7/10. It was very enjoyable but some obvious problems that cant really be ignored.