NEurope
stuwii

Where does mario go from here

We have smg2 and has improved on the original formula but where from here?Is space the ultimate frontier for mario? Has space lost it's wow factor as a location? Discuss

The Galaxy games have proved brilliant! I honestly wouldn't mind if they just kept doing sequels to them

Why does it have to be set on a greater frontier? Why not just have it set in another kingdom or something like that? I'd rather see something innovative in terms of gameplay.

The whole "bigger and better" approach can still be applied to Galaxy 2's successor. Many of the stages in SMG1 and 2 were fairly small. I imagine its successor will feature much larger levels to explore, as a result of the increased processing power of the Wii's successor.

Super Mario Galaxy 3 for the time being, after that, who knows...

Super Mario Galaxy 3 for the time being, after that, who knows...

Super Mario Galaxy 3D

Wii's successor probably implementing 3D games.

:shakehead

I think one more Galaxy, then Miyamoto will look into fitting a true co-op experience into the next Mario iteration. I'd personally love to see a return to the open worlds of Mario 64, but on a grander scale and with interlocking levels (a bit like Banjo Tooie).

We have smg2 and has improved on the original formula but where from here?Is space the ultimate frontier for mario? Has space lost it's wow factor as a location? Discuss

Simple: THE CORE OF EARTH!

How about some dimension-shifting or time-travelling platforming (as in proper time travel, not just reversing like PoP)?

Super Mario Multiverse

Each world is a different universe with its different laws of physics and platforming challenges and the worlds are where anything can happen

I think there's still loads of room to experiment in the Galaxy formula - SMG2 only touched on time manipulation, gravity puzzles... but there's so much more: alternate universes where levels can be affected by your actions, skipping backwards and forwards in time to solve puzzles, the list goes on.

We'll definately see a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

I think there's still loads of room to experiment in the Galaxy formula - SMG2 only touched on time manipulation, gravity puzzles... but there's so much more: alternate universes where levels can be affected by your actions, skipping backwards and forwards in time to solve puzzles, the list goes on.

We'll definately see a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

Hmm, I'm not so sure...I know SMG2 was almost unprecedented given that it was a direct follow up to the first game but I can't see them eeking the whole Galaxy thing out for another game. Plus, they'll want to provide a new experience, we were wowed by Galaxy the first time, the second time it was still awesome but not as wowing as the first and I think a third would really start to feel a bit samey.

Of course, I have no better alternative, lol, so your argument pretty much stands!

Simple: THE CORE OF EARTH!

That's an interesting idea, seeing as in general we've done a lot more exploration of space than we have the interior of our own planet.

------

Anyway, an open world game with a world similar to that of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga would be awesome. They could have the stars spread throughout the world with the player having to explore it to find the stars (although, they would have to be easy to find for the most part) and then have to do some platforming to get to them.

the wow factor is gone. The series is dead in the water.

Well aren't you Mr. Positive! :P

Mario needs to be put back on flat land (well, not flat, but you know what I mean!)

The best thing about the Galaxy games was the variety, but you don't need a space theme for that! I loved the way the levels flowed - for example, the way you'd suddenly slide down a little chute to the next section.

For me, the planetoid idea never truly worked. It worked well enough, but not enough to justify having a next-gen game on the same theme. There were too many control and viewpoint issues - not big ones, but any is too much for a Mario game!

In all honesty, the only way the next Mario is going to improve upon previous outings is for it have better graphics, controls and gameplay - ie. the same things as usual. Nintendo's next system should ditch motion controls and have a wired, traditional pad! Only then will I be able to sit back and fully enjoy myself.

In the meantime, they need to have at least three giant slides (like Super Mario 64) and only 120 Stars. Star 242 in Galaxy 2 was just stupid, it was only designed to frustrate people. The Galaxy games were good, but they need to take it back more towards 64 and Sunshine.

The retro levels seems to have been really popular in SMG2. Perhaps a re re-imagination of Super Mario World?

Platform games are very limited in terms of themes for each level. Sand, Snow, Greenery, Fire, Water etc. Do we really want to rehash them and flog that dead horse some more?

Don't get me wrong SMG2 is utterly divine and it is up there with the best of the best. Well done Nintendo. But what we don't want is SM Sunshine being repeated on the success of SM 64. Not that it was a crap game, it just lacked diversity being solely in a tropical background.

It's a good question of where to take Mario next. It's certainly something I'm not worried about though - I have faith that Nintendo will take it somewhere we all love and enjoy.

Edited by GeeKay
forgot to add something

Back in time. The next Mario should be a journey through the series' history revisiting some old classic levels in a mixture of 2D and 3D.

How about some dimension-shifting or time-travelling platforming (as in proper time travel, not just reversing like PoP)?

You mean like Braid? Which had many tributes to the Mario J'n'Rs? So a tribute to the tribute? ;)

Well seriously, Braid's kind of "time bending" could make for an intriguing mechanic combined with Mario's precision jumping and running. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo took some inspirations from there. ^^ Portal is another example of an absolutely unique mechanic, that could make for a good combination with Mario.

Yeeah, has totally been for like ten years. I won't mind if it stays there the way SMG2 did. ^^

On a slightly humourous note, I wouldn't be surprised if he finally started doing what he was hired for, ......FIXING THAT DAMN SINK!

On a slightly humourous note, I wouldn't be surprised if he finally started doing what he was hired for, ......FIXING THAT DAMN SINK!

Super Mario Pipemania.

Princess Peach invites Mario to her castle to fix a plumbing problem. Can Mario fix the pipes before the water catches up? Will Peachs baked cake go to waste if Mario fails?

Includes bonus "plunger the toilet" levels. Hold the wiimote in vertical postion and thrust up and down to plunge Peachs bathroom toilet. Other toilets to plunger include Bowsers, Chain chomps and Toadsworth.

The original formula was SM64, and tbh I don't really feel they've gone very far from there at all.

(Note, I didn't play SMG2 yet, but that's because I found SMG1 good, but a bit lacking for me. It was too linear and hand holdy, even sunshine was less so, but SM64 the king)

I think one more Galaxy, then Miyamoto will look into fitting a true co-op experience into the next Mario iteration. I'd personally love to see a return to the open worlds of Mario 64, but on a grander scale and with interlocking levels (a bit like Banjo Tooie).

Excellent suggestion imo.