N-Europe

Mario Sports Mix

Retro_Link

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this in Tesco last night which only really highlighted my lack of interest in the title as I had no idea it was supposed to be out yet ::shrug:

Opinions on the multiplayer side certainly would be beneficial, though, as I'm sure we could get some laughs out of it if there is some good gameplay to be had!

I played some more of this today and I finished all the cups for the basketball tournaments.

The game started to get a little more difficult, but it still isn't a challenge, even in the later rounds. I will say though that the game is starting to feel more fun and the reason for this is quite simply the stages/arenas/stadiums.

The Luigi's Manison level was great. The basketball rings are chandeliers and during the game the chandeliers turn off making the court pitch black. When this happens ghosts appear on the court and when you make a basket the chandeliers turn back on, making the court visable again.

Another great example is Bowsers Boulevard ( think thats the name ) where hotspots appear on the court. These give the players x2,3,4,10,30 the amount of points if you hit the shot. Needless to say, that was a high scroing match. :D

So, slowly but surely the game is starting to grow on me.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

The game started to get a little more difficult, but it still hasn't a challenge, even in the later rounds.

Reading this got me wondering - have any of the Mario sports games ever been a decent challenge? I've never played the GC versions of Golf and Tennis in single player but I know that on the N64 Mario Tennis and Golf were never difficult. GBC Mario Golf wasn't hard, GBA Mario Tennis was simple... Mario Kart is difficult through cheapness. Am I missing anything obvious?

Glad to hear you are getting into Mario Sports Mix and its not a complete waste of your time. :grin:

I found most of the challenge from the Mario Sports games came from the unlockables, especially in Mario Golf 64 and Mario Power Tennis. The Mario Sports games have always been about fun first and difficulty second but the AI in this game may aswell have stayed on the bench. Most, if not all, of the unlockables in this game come from just playing a certain amount of matches.

I had a quick blast on it before and it seems that once you complete a cup and then replay it, you can unlock alternative routes. These seem to lead to hidden characters and mini games, which helps break up the easy normal games.

I had a quick blast on it before and it seems that once you complete a cup and then replay it, you can unlock alternative routes. These seem to lead to hidden characters and mini games, which helps break up the easy normal games.

Sounds kind of cool.

How do the Final Fantasy personnel stack up?

I thought Mario Tennis 64 put up quite a challenge the further you got into it didn't it?

The only difficulty came from either

a) having an exhibition match and cranking the difficulty to the max

b) transferring over your runts from the GBC version :laughing:

I've rented this game from blockbuster (complete with unused Club Nintendo code) Which reminds me, the stars catalogue has 25th Aniversary Mario coins for 750 stars.

So far I've completed both the Basketball and Dodgeball Tournements. Each Sport has 3 cups (Mushroom, Flower and Star) I suspect there will be a extra cup as well once you have all 4 sports completed.

As well as replaying Tournements to unlock FF characters you can also unlock different colour costumes for some characters (the toads, and peach so far)

It is very easy, but like Hero of Time it's kinda growing on me. I'd say more a rental than a purchase.

I watched the review a couple of days ago there and I wasn't really impressed by what I was seeing :hmm: It's hard to argue with the tunes but the game itself didn't really grab me from the first moment it was shown at E3 2010..

A lot of the special moves remind me of Mario Power Tennis on the Gamecube (or the even poorer Wii version :nono:) and, since I don't rate that very highly, it seems to only compound my disinterest in Mario Sports Mix..