NEurope
darkjak

E3 wii speculation thread 2010 edition

What happened to rumours of a Wii HD? I'm curious.

it'll come.. although at this stage they might either wait for a new console but include it with an inevitable smaller rerelease of the wii.

these darn events are very hard to predict.. Last year I would have called you crazy if you said super mario galaxy 2 would be announced because it wasn't something nintendo were known to do. create direct sequels that is. so Anything is possible.

so I'll go

1: we haven't seen the last of the vitality sensor, I believe cube is right a redesign seems very likely.

2: it will most likely end with a zelda trailer like other M last year. I doubt it'll be playable but that would be a suprise.

3: Playable other M.

4: 3ds revealing a lot more than we thought. Remember how we only knew the ds only had 2 screens originally and everyone was like WTF you need 2 screens for? Ya that's pretty much the stage we are at with the 3ds

5: like the ds itself I believe the codename for 3ds will end up being the final name.

6: pikmin 3 I believe will be shown. finally

7: very likely everyoe will make a show of themselves either playing wii party but doing something with the vitality sensor but I hope they have learned from these group playings.

8: main focus will be 3ds with a trailer showing you the possibilities of the device similiar to the early wii trailers.

my guesses.

What will almost certainly happen:

-Cammie talks about sales for 90 minutes.

-Reggie drops his bowels on stage after seeing the Zelda trailer.

-Crowd rages

-Miyamoto comes on stage to tell everyone to suck his tiny Asian balls.

-Iwata: *laughs*

I've really no idea what to expect but I think it's gonna be minimal in relation to what I actually want to see.

Wouldn't be surprised if an old franchise is finally brought back...have a good feeling that it could be Pilotwings! Although, if they were to redo it, I'd much rather see it done with Miis e.g. like the Wii Sports Resort effort but much more in depth!

Otherwise, I see the focus being more on the 3DS than the Wii side of things.

I'm more looking forward to the international release of my shit.

I refuse to believe you are a staff member here because of your writing skills.

The lack of capital letters in the title of the thread upsets me.

I want more than some shit teaser trailer for zelda. And I want Miyamoto to wander round the expo in a mario suit and unveil himself at the nintendo keynote by jumping out of the suit DRESSED AS LINK. It would blow everyone's mind.

Lol.... Lol. :D

I can 'imagine' seeing:

*3Ds and stuff relating to it.

*Metroid: Other M

*Zelda Wii orgasms

*Conduit 2 :cool:

*3rd Party stuff

*Wii Vitality Sensor

*Wii Party

* All the unrevealed and secret titles being worked on.

As for Wii-HD, Pachter was talking about Ps3 all along. It's HD and will have motion controls... An HD Wii. (Ninty prob' will upgrade/update Wii before new console to pimp us :laughing: ... Could be wrong.)

Also, TOMY will interupt and pause 1min 58secs in Zelda Wii trailer to apologise to us why Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 didn't come out 9th April in UK, and the WILL give us a release date with cool bonus freebies. Then they will conclude and resume the Zelda trailer.

Oh, and I'm not ditching 'The Mighty Big N' but I'll be kind of watching Ps360 conference for Sony Move (Curious) and Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. ← This game looks rape y'all :o

Also, TOMY will interupt and pause 1min 58secs in Zelda Wii trailer to apologise to us why Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 didn't come out 9th April in UK, and the WILL give us a release date with cool bonus freebies. Then they will conclude and resume the Zelda trailer.

Lol! I can just imagine the expressions on so many angry fanboy faces if that were to happen!

When it comes to the Wii HD, I'm not sure what to think. It all depends on what your thoughts around the Wii HD concept is.

I highly doubt Nintendo will launch a new version of the Wii, with basically all internal components swaped out just to scale up Wii games to HD. Basically because it'd be pointless. Casual gamers don't care much for HD (my mum still doesen't understand what the heck HD means), and the core still wouldn't buy a Wii because the Wii still pushes out lower poly counts and lower res textures.

My thoughts on a potential Wii HD is:

A highly upgraded Wii, that can make both Wii and GC games into HD. Plus that the true Wii HD games will have higher poly counts, making it efortless to port games from the PS3 or 360 to the Wii HD. Furthermore, the format'll have a larger (solid state) hard drive.

I still don't understand the want for a Wii HD or people in the industry, such as Pachter, calling for it. It doesn't make sense to upgrade the Wii to HD, as everyone is calling for, yet keep the same internal components because it won't benefit many of the games because of the lack of processing power to allow for higher resolution textures to make things look nicer. If you've seen any of the images or footage of Wii games being run in HD on Dolphin you can see many of the blemishes and graphical shortcomings that are overlooked when playing in standard definition. It'll do that to every Wii game and so there really isn't a point in making something which will ultimately make games look worse, even if there are less jagged lines but even this is minimal in HD.

I've always said Wii HD will never happen and I do stand by it. With there possibly only being one year left before the reveal of the next home console (and I'd be very surprised if Nintendo waited any longer than E3 2011 to show of the Wii's successor), and with that definitely going to have HD, there's just no point in a HD enabled Wii hitting the market.

I still don't understand the want for a Wii HD or people in the industry, such as Pachter, calling for it. It doesn't make sense to upgrade the Wii to HD, as everyone is calling for, yet keep the same internal components because it won't benefit many of the games because of the lack of processing power to allow for higher resolution textures to make things look nicer. If you've seen any of the images or footage of Wii games being run in HD on Dolphin you can see many of the blemishes and graphical shortcomings that are overlooked when playing in standard definition. It'll do that to every Wii game and so there really isn't a point in making something which will ultimately make games look worse, even if there are less jagged lines but even this is minimal in HD.

I've always said Wii HD will never happen and I do stand by it. With there possibly only being one year left before the reveal of the next home console (and I'd be very surprised if Nintendo waited any longer than E3 2011 to show of the Wii's successor), and with that definitely going to have HD, there's just no point in a HD enabled Wii hitting the market.

I actually agree with ya dude :hug:

BUT.... Is the possiblity of Nintendo robbing us of our hard-earned rupees (upgrading current Wii before releasing a brand new console.) totally barred?

Also, the same way how 3Ds allows us to switch 3D effects on and off, perhaps the upgraded Wii would be similarish in terms of playing old and new games like you mentioned etc....

Edited by Beverage

I refuse to believe you are a staff member here because of your writing skills.

To be fair there is an editorial team :p

An upgraded Wii just to make it slightly more appealing to those who have PS3s or 360s would not only be pointless, because it wouldn't really give these people that much of a reason to buy the console, but the R&D would be costly, and it really goes against Nintendo's current business model. Before someone mentions that they're currently selling the 4th version of the DS, I'd just like to point out that the DS is a very different market.

Realistically, I think this is what we'll see at E3:

-Zelda

-Pikmin 3

-3DS

-Vitality Sensor

-A new "Bridge Title" to be release at the end of the year (like what NSMBWii was last year).

I think that's being quite safe.

<general arguing about Wii HD>

The Wii HD (think DS to a DSi) will never happen. Nintendo will just make a Wii 2 when they're ready.

[/topic]

The Wii HD (think DS to a DSi) will never happen. Nintendo will just make a Wii 2 when they're ready.

[/topic]

hold onyou can't just end the topic there :)

why do you think it won't happen?

Do you not think that nintendo will want to release a slimline version of the wii eventually to milk the console for what it's worth. I know they didn't do this with the gamecube but it's different know, nintendo are following the apple route and think how many versions of apple products there are.

We are most likely gonna see another version of the wii down the line

[/topic] I kid

hold onyou can't just end the topic there :)

why do you think it won't happen?

Do you not think that nintendo will want to release a slimline version of the wii eventually to milk the console for what it's worth. I know they didn't do this with the gamecube but it's different know, nintendo are following the apple route and think how many versions of apple products there are.

We are most likely gonna see another version of the wii down the line

[/topic] I kid

I'm not sure if we're debating a Wii HD or a slimline Wii now, but let me put forward my brief opinions.

A Wii HD is something that, at this stage, is a fabrication solely of Patcher's. It's just that a lot of naive people have been so swept along by the speculation that they believe it might actually happen. It would be a silly move from Nintendo to release such an incremental upgrade. Yet at the same time, it would be too significant for developers reluctant to change their whole Wii strategy overnight. It's a complication that isn't needed for the consumer or the developer.

Onto the second point, and what you coin a 'slimline Wii'. I'm not sure if you mean that as a redesigned console with incremental upgrade such as HD or not. As a rule, Nintendo don't release redesigns of their home consoles. It's more the thing Sony does about three times a generation because they can't build a cost-effective piece of hardware first time around.

Just because Nintendo have found unprecedented success in the handheld sector with a range of co-existing consoles, you can't blanketly state that they're "going down the Apple route". If anybody actually looks to Apple as a benchmark for the road they think Nintendo will follow, then I'm afraid their perspective of how things actually are are terribly skewed.

Nintendo don't play by rules. They'll do last thing you'll expect.

And on that note, I'm off to continue writing N-Europe's E3 predictions for this year...

I'm not sure if we're debating a Wii HD or a slimline Wii now, but let me put forward my brief opinions.

A Wii HD is something that, at this stage, is a fabrication solely of Patcher's. It's just that a lot of naive people have been so swept along by the speculation that they believe it might actually happen. It would be a silly move from Nintendo to release such an incremental upgrade. Yet at the same time, it would be too significant for developers reluctant to change their whole Wii strategy overnight. It's a complication that isn't needed for the consumer or the developer.

Onto the second point, and what you coin a 'slimline Wii'. I'm not sure if you mean that as a redesigned console with incremental upgrade such as HD or not. As a rule, Nintendo don't release redesigns of their home consoles. It's more the thing Sony does about three times a generation because they can't build a cost-effective piece of hardware first time around.

Just because Nintendo have found unprecedented success in the handheld sector with a range of co-existing consoles, you can't blanketly state that they're "going down the Apple route". If anybody actually looks to Apple as a benchmark for the road they think Nintendo will follow, then I'm afraid their perspective of how things actually are are terribly skewed.

Nintendo don't play by rules. They'll do last thing you'll expect.

And on that note, I'm off to continue writing N-Europe's E3 predictions for this year...

It is indeed hard to predict, last year's e3 caught me completely offguard with the games and it prob will this year too.

There's always some surprise even if it is a bad one :P

It is indeed hard to predict, last year's e3 caught me completely offguard with the games and it prob will this year too.

There's always some surprise even if it is a bad one :P

It's possible that Nintendo will turn around with a Wii HD upgrade... but only as a double-bluff :heh:

I'm just lookin' forward to good ol' Reggie Fils-Aime.

Hitler's verbal talents got nothing on Reggie's.

His communication is crystal clear, they should dedicate a new NINTENDO-headset to him.

WiiReggii : Communicating with POWER! (and hands:)

Oh, and if they announce a new Kirby game, I'll be changing my sig and avatar to Paper Mario!

Edited by Fused King

Mii, personally, only really wondered "Could Nintendo upgrade the Wii before their next home console?" because Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto has stated in interviews that "Wii has a much more longer life span than people think" and "The surface hasn't been scratched with the Wii". So I thought that the Wii could be possiby upgraded through hardware add-ons and perhaps firmware update. But like I said, they were just thoughts that popped to mind :love:

A game that I would be excited to see at E3 would be a new F-zero :bowdown: Full with nice visuals, smashin' online, customisable vehicles and all new epic tracks to break the sound barrier on :laughing::D

.... Along with your Kirby's, Star Fox/Pilot Wings/Lylat Wars, Pikmin, Kid Icarus etc etc.

Edited by Beverage

Mii, personally, only really wondered "Could Nintendo upgrade the Wii before their next home console?" because Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto has stated in interviews that "Wii has a much more longer life span than people think" and "The surface hasn't been scratched with the Wii". So I thought that the Wii could be possiby upgraded through hardware add-ons and perhaps firmware update. But like I said, they were just thoughts that popped to mind :love:

It's a question of what you consider "life span". The NES was produced until arround the year 2000, while the Sega Master System was the most popular console in Brazil until around 2004.

I think that Nintendo will launch a new, HD compatible console with more power than the PS3 within the next few years. However, I don't think that Nintendo will kill it off in the same way that they did with the Gamecube and N64, I believe that the Wii will potentially live on for another 10 years afterwards as a kids/casual/retro console, much like the PS2 and NES.

Found this article about what needs to be done for nintendo to have a successfull e3. And i must say i do agree with some points mainly with the demoing of games.

Last view years it where only wii sports, wii sports resort and in 2007 it was metroid prime 3 but never a 3rd party developer thats showing its game on stage. I personally think it would help 3rd partys allot if they can show it on stage @ the nintendo press brieving, just like sony and microsoft is doing for years now.

Yet at the same time, it would be too significant for developers reluctant to change their whole Wii strategy overnight.

Why would developers have to change the strategy? A Wii HD will be just that - a Wii that can output in a higher resolution. Developers wouldn't have to do much to accommodate it. The graphics will stay exactly how they are now.

Found this article about what needs to be done for nintendo to have a successfull e3. And i must say i do agree with some points mainly with the demoing of games.

Last view years it where only wii sports, wii sports resort and in 2007 it was metroid prime 3 but never a 3rd party developer thats showing its game on stage. I personally think it would help 3rd partys allot if they can show it on stage @ the nintendo press brieving, just like sony and microsoft is doing for years now.

1: the conference has already been confirmed longer so that's that

2:... never thought of this, but he'll be there don't worry :D

3:..oh THIS argument. See sony and microsoft have third party games on par with their own, nintendo probably knows how shit third parties are, also who decides who gets shown and who doesn't..

Truth is nintendo have shown a few like red steel 2 and shaun white snowboarding which are.. you know GOOD.

4: ya was wondering about this myself. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do for this but they'll have a way rest assured.

5: who knows, it might be playable seen as it's expected sooner than later.

What we will see:

- Vitality Sensor, most likely wih an update of Wiifit to debut at Christmas

- Metroid Other M massive blowout

- Conduit 2, pushed heavily and a major improvement over the original

- Zelda reveal trailer

- Massive 3DS push

- New Wii Remote (most likely incliuding Wii motion plus in the original size, something I said was coming AGES ago!!!)

- There will be at least one surprise new franchise

- There will be at least one surprise returning franchise

- Possibly New Super Mario Bros. 2 for DS and Wii

What I want:

- F-ZERO GX remade, on the Wii with GC controller support and online

- Lylat Wars 2 (Starfox) but done right, unlike Assault

- Epic Zelda, like OOT but with more story and a real living and breathing world.