NEurope
darkjak

E3 wii speculation thread 2010 edition

- F-ZERO GX remade, on the Wii with GC controller support and online

-

sadly that is the dream. Part of me would like to wait until a hd console though.

f-zero gx doesn't need to be remade though its still one of the best looking wii games and it's on gamecube :)

- Zelda Wii shown..quite a long trailer..Link will fly! Christmas 2010 release.

- 3DS unveiled..Paper Mario 3D and Animal Crossing 3D will be first-party launch titles. March 2011 release in Europe..Europeans get annoyed as both America and Japan will see it in 2010.

- Vitality Sensor and Wii Relax shown

- Mario Kart Wii 2

- Luigis Mansion 2 (Uses Vitality Sensor)

- Kirby Wii (Uses Vitality Sensor)

- Pikmin 3

1: the conference has already been confirmed longer so that's that

2:... never thought of this, but he'll be there don't worry :D

3:..oh THIS argument. See sony and microsoft have third party games on par with their own, nintendo probably knows how shit third parties are, also who decides who gets shown and who doesn't..

Truth is nintendo have shown a few like red steel 2 and shaun white snowboarding which are.. you know GOOD.

4: ya was wondering about this myself. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do for this but they'll have a way rest assured.

5: who knows, it might be playable seen as it's expected sooner than later.

wile this is true you need to take into account that it was only a trailer, and trailers say nothing about the controls. Last year @ the xbx360 conference they not only showed MW2 but dev also had the opertunity to demo the game on stage, same goes for ps3 with assasins creed 2. Nintendo needs to do the same with good quality 3rd party games like epic mickey.

Why would developers have to change the strategy? A Wii HD will be just that - a Wii that can output in a higher resolution. Developers wouldn't have to do much to accommodate it. The graphics will stay exactly how they are now.

Proper HD development is a lot more costly than a lot of people imagine. But if we're talking about exactly the same piece of hardware that merely outputs in a higher resolution... then I think we can just stop the whole discussion of a Wii HD, because it would be the most pointless upgrade comprehensible. Having said that, there probably are people who would want that, but then a lot of people also like the Pirates of the Caribbean films and think 3D is worth it.

Proper HD development is a lot more costly than a lot of people imagine. But if we're talking about exactly the same piece of hardware that merely outputs in a higher resolution... then I think we can just stop the whole discussion of a Wii HD, because it would be the most pointless upgrade comprehensible. Having said that, there probably are people who would want that, but then a lot of people also like the Pirates of the Caribbean films and think 3D is worth it.

Exactly. Plus, surely if they did allow 1080p, all that would happen is that games would look exactly the same as they do now but probably run slower because they're running in a higher resolution (which isn't really noticeable when the graphics are limited as it is).

wile this is true you need to take into account that it was only a trailer, and trailers say nothing about the controls. Last year @ the xbx360 conference they not only showed MW2 but dev also had the opertunity to demo the game on stage, same goes for ps3 with assasins creed 2. Nintendo needs to do the same with good quality 3rd party games like epic mickey.

Yes, I agree Nintendo should support 3rd parties more. One thing that really dicked me off when Reggie was talking up The Conduit he totally ignored MWR, which has sold over a million copies and is a stellar game. However, I do believe Nintendo are moving in the right direction, especially how they backed MH3 in the West. I think they need to back more big games like that. However, my prediction is that Epic Mikey will be rubbish and not worth backing.

Firstly, the first Pirates film was good, it just took a nose dive afterwards lol.

Secondly, you are spot on about HD, the costs invovled are massive, that's why companies that fail to get the huge 500k first week sales are losing major money on their games. The cost of these graphical masterpieces will lead to three different things:

1) Game prices rising

2) Shitty hidden costs like pay as you play and pointless in game real money transfers - saying that if dickheads want to waste their money buying shirts for their avatars on 360 then more fool them!

3) Studios going bust

Nintendo did the right thing - they based their company on a viable business plan that MAKES MONEY! Where as developers who are basing their business plan on making a game that does as much to suit the artistic aspirations of the developer as much as making money will be far more prone to failure.

And yet quality AND quantity prevail on the PS3 and 360.

Curious.

I've really no idea what to expect but I think it's gonna be minimal in relation to what I actually want to see.

Wouldn't be surprised if an old franchise is finally brought back...have a good feeling that it could be Pilotwings! Although, if they were to redo it, I'd much rather see it done with Miis e.g. like the Wii Sports Resort effort but much more in depth!

Otherwise, I see the focus being more on the 3DS than the Wii side of things.

I would love this!!

I haven't played Wii Sports Resort for ages but I just felt like whacking it on today and I started playing the flying minigame again and I love it! The controls are perfect and I just love flying around and exploring all the parts of the island.

If they made a full game with loads of different places to discover I would buy it instantly!

And whilst I have nearly lost all hope... I still hope for a sequel to Donkey Kong 64. A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was a brilliant game.

And yet quality AND quantity prevail on the PS3 and 360.

Curious.

That's a matter of opinion. But like I said, it makes no difference to my argument - games will still go up in price, extras will be sold to make ends meet or developers will go out of business. And that is what is happening.

SONY's gaming division made a massive loss again last year, MS didn't do much better and some sizeable publishers like EA and SEGA made large losses on HD consoles causing some studios to go under.

EDIT: SONY's losses on their gaming division last year were $890 million (that was simply their gaming division, NOT SONY as a whole, just gaming division)

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Exactly. Plus, surely if they did allow 1080p, all that would happen is that games would look exactly the same as they do now but probably run slower because they're running in a higher resolution (which isn't really noticeable when the graphics are limited as it is).

have you seen wii games running on emulators such as dolphin

click on 720p and the difference is quite noticeable...

and this is just a youtube video.

I realise the emulation isn't perfect and some textures are out of place here but the game looks suspiciously good on hd.

I have never personally tried dolphin myself, you need a way more powerful laptop than my piece of shit.

Edited by mcj metroid

A wii that could simply render games in 720p, and maybe output 5.1 audio on newer compatible games would be pointless. There's just too small of a market for such a device. The people who Nintendo is mainly selling Wiis to right now, for the most part don't even know what HD is. Not only that, but its probably too late in the cycle to get that many people to buy a Wii just because of HD output. Most of these people have already had a 360 or PS3 for years. And I think its quite obvious that the reason they bought one over a Wii had very little to do with resolution. There people aren't going to buy a Wii because of 720p. If they buy a Wii at this point, its most likely going to be because they want to play Nintendo games, and more specifically Zelda. Nintendo also isn't going to spend R&D money and resources on something that would change their sales so little (and would sell for a lot less profit), when they could be putting more resources into development of the 3DS and their next home console.

That's a matter of opinion. But like I said, it makes no difference to my argument - games will still go up in price, extras will be sold to make ends meet or developers will go out of business. And that is what is happening.

SONY's gaming division made a massive loss again last year, MS didn't do much better and some sizeable publishers like EA and SEGA made large losses on HD consoles causing some studios to go under.

EDIT: SONY's losses on their gaming division last year were $890 million (that was simply their gaming division, NOT SONY as a whole, just gaming division)

I haven't seen prices go up. Not in the 5 years the 360 has been out or the 4 years the PS3 has. Got any evidence DLC is being sold to 'make ends meet'? That's an absurd business model, and not one anyone uses. So that is not what is happening.

Sony's gaming division did not lose that much money, Network Product and Services division lost that much money which includes their gaming department. Not to mention that even though Sony are in effect still paying off the PS3 they got in return a console that isn't showing it's age and central to a won format war - not to mention, along the same lines, however many million 3D ready Blu-Ray/Games machines already in the wild to spurn demand for 3DTV and another point of contact for their video store (which is being expanded into other devices now). Sony isn't just about games, unlike Nintendo. Financial losses in one division are deflected by, and play a part in, other divisions.

Sega, in the same way as Sony, needed restructuring and that's what they've done, EA, too. Sega and EA (In fact, EA have changed their business strategy drastically to the benefit of the developers by letting them retain their IPs) are still producing great games. Honestly, you have no idea what you are on about. You can argue with me but at the end of the day I've worked in the games industry, with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft - and you haven't.

Ultimately, what does all this mean for the end user (being the only thing a consumer should care about unless you want to descend into fanboyism)? If your Sony, apparently, the largest collection of first party studios of the big three and all the quality games to prove it.

Proper HD development is a lot more costly than a lot of people imagine. But if we're talking about exactly the same piece of hardware that merely outputs in a higher resolution...

I don't see what else people could mean. If it had a significant graphical boost then it would mean that it's a totally new console and they'll make other changes to it.

The E3 thread in the other consoles thread turned to shit, because of the system wars bullshit, although I was part of the problem too.

Lets not ruin this thread as well.

It really hasn't though. It was a pretty levelled discussion.

A wii that could simply render games in 720p, and maybe output 5.1 audio on newer compatible games would be pointless. There's just too small of a market for such a device. The people who Nintendo is mainly selling Wiis to right now, for the most part don't even know what HD is. Not only that, but its probably too late in the cycle to get that many people to buy a Wii just because of HD output. Most of these people have already had a 360 or PS3 for years. And I think its quite obvious that the reason they bought one over a Wii had very little to do with resolution. There people aren't going to buy a Wii because of 720p. If they buy a Wii at this point, its most likely going to be because they want to play Nintendo games, and more specifically Zelda. Nintendo also isn't going to spend R&D money and resources on something that would change their sales so little (and would sell for a lot less profit), when they could be putting more resources into development of the 3DS and their next home console.

cmon people know what HD is now.

I don't think people are seeing my point. We are talking about the same company that released the ds 4 times it's entirely possible for them to start doing it when sales are down...

A redesign of the wii would include.

a tiny console

to maximise profits get rid of the gamecube controller ports and compatibility

full hd output

5.1 audio

the console could come with wii sports resort and come packed with a controller-motionplus combo

and who knows even a hardrive(although im pushing it here)

A lot of you are saying this is pointless but nintendo have very little intention of releasing a brand new console anytime soon because of how well the wii is doing. In fact the competition are doing great too and I don't think anyone wants to rush into a new console.

the ps3 slimline was released and has improved on much less that i'm suggesting with the wii above. It was a great idea and yet you're telling me that a wii redesign is an awful idea?

a tiny console

to maximise profits get rid of the gamecube controller ports and compatibility

full hd output

5.1 audio

the console could come with wii sports resort and come packed with a controller-motionplus combo

and who knows even a hardrive(although im pushing it here)

Why the hell would they do that? A HD Wii would cater to the hardcore more than the casual and the hardcore play Brawl and MK with GC pads.

Also, I don't quite get the point of your SMG HD video display. My point was that if they make it so that the only major difference is that the games will still have the same graphics, but a sharper resolution, they'll run slower. That video is based on emulation software running off a PC, not off a Wii console. The games would then suffer from slowdown as Wii is not powerful enough to render at a higher resolution while sticking to 60 frames. Funnily enough, the guy in the video even says that a powerful PC is needed to ensure slowdown doesn't occur, to draw on something of a paradox. And yes, you could say that they could make the console more powerful in order to compensate for this, but I'm pretty sure that if the game has been developed and released before all of this, it won't be programmed to use this new horsepower anyways. And like fuck Nintendo will go to the effort of patching them all.

I think the idea is that they would release new hardware thats actually capable of outputting games at 720p. Not try and render the games at that resolution on existing Wii consoles. You wouldn't have slowdown if the hardware was bettered.

There are major differences between the DS and the Wii.

The original DS obviously needed an upgrade. The design was outdated, it was too big to easily fit into the average pocket, ect.

The Wii's design isn't outdated and its already really small compared to the other two consoles (Even the PS3 slim is more than twice the size).

The DSi provided a long overdue platform for online content delivery on the DS. It also provided new features that the consumer that they're targeting understands. People understand What a camera is, they understand what a web browser is, the understand what audio playback is.

The truth is, the sort of people Nintendo are targeting still do not understand what HD or 5.1 audio is. While certainly more people understand that sort of thing now than lets say 2 years ago, its still not well enough understood to base the production of a new piece of hardware on. Just go out on the street and ask people what 720p means. Unless you're standing outside of an electronics retailer, most people will either say they don't know, or give the wrong answer.

Sure, they could cut costs with new hardware, but by adding HD and 5.1 audio, ect, they're also raising costs. Not to mention, they have to spend money, time, and resources on R&D to develop the console. You can't just say "Ok, we're going to start putting more powerful chips in the Wii, so it can render stuff in HD" It takes a lot of time to do everything they need to do to make that happen.

Aside from the hardware, they also would need to modify the system software to allow it to render stuff in 720p. This sounds like something that would take about an hour to do, involving the changing of a few lines of code and having a graphics guy make a new button for the menu. This simply isn't the case. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3L8rjl5jzM&fmt=22 Look at how the enemies don't move. When you change the way things like that function, you run into problems with software that relies on things working a certain way. There would be a huge mess to sort out with games that didn't work, ect.

It really hasn't though. It was a pretty levelled discussion.

It was heading in that general direction.

Oh yeah, I wonder if Mr Miyamoto was serious when he said that he wanted the visuals in the new 'The Legend of Zelda Wii' to rival Monster Hunter 3's. Who'd be happy and who'd be satisfied but want an even more awesomised visual exerience? :D : peace:

Zelda released this year is my number one wish. Numeber 2 would be Mario Kart 2 but only if it had a track creator and DLC. Can be the same game and it would still be incredible. More battle modes (and better), voice chat, more online and offline multiplayer options (knockout tournaments, leagues etc). Never happen, but we can dream.

As for te HD thing emasher people really do know what HD is, it is completely in the public consciousness now. But to be honest I thi ka wii HD (which I think nintendo kind of need) wouldn't be for the casuals like you say they have them already. What a Wii HD would do is tempt back those (hideous and fickle and superficial) PS3/360 only console owners who avoid the Wii due to myths, lies and plain bullshit. These are the people that buy the games most of here like to play and would like ton see more of on the Wii. Nintendo needs these gamers... Well aye not needs, but why notnget them toO?!!??

Why the hell would they do that? A HD Wii would cater to the hardcore more than the casual and the hardcore play Brawl and MK with GC pads.

Also, I don't quite get the point of your SMG HD video display. My point was that if they make it so that the only major difference is that the games will still have the same graphics, but a sharper resolution, they'll run slower. That video is based on emulation software running off a PC, not off a Wii console. The games would then suffer from slowdown as Wii is not powerful enough to render at a higher resolution while sticking to 60 frames. Funnily enough, the guy in the video even says that a powerful PC is needed to ensure slowdown doesn't occur, to draw on something of a paradox. And yes, you could say that they could make the console more powerful in order to compensate for this, but I'm pretty sure that if the game has been developed and released before all of this, it won't be programmed to use this new horsepower anyways. And like fuck Nintendo will go to the effort of patching them all.

I'm not saying it's gonna be released next year but think 2 years down the line?

Do you think they're going to release an all new console or release an update of their same system..

You see the wii has new devices such as wii motion plus and new ones coming out such as the vitality sensor, so I really don't see them releasing a new system for a while.

You call the ds a dates system well it doesn't get anymore dates than last generations graphics and last generations video output.

I'm just suggesting this idea. it prob won't but people are quick to dismiss it.

There are a few problem against it like you mentioned.

But sales WOULD increase if they did this. They changed the colour of the console to black and sales inscreased for gods sake.

by the way I enjoy discussing this stuff :D

As for te HD thing emasher people really do know what HD is, it is completely in the public consciousness now. But to be honest I thi ka wii HD (which I think nintendo kind of need) wouldn't be for the casuals like you say they have them already. What a Wii HD would do is tempt back those (hideous and fickle and superficial) PS3/360 only console owners who avoid the Wii due to myths, lies and plain bullshit. These are the people that buy the games most of here like to play and would like ton see more of on the Wii. Nintendo needs these gamers... Well aye not needs, but why notnget them toO?!!??

hd and a console redesign( ie make it smaller) and keep it at the same price would do them wonders. That's all they gotta do... but I'm talking way down the line, the wii is still doing great right now.

you think?

I think nintendo would easily sacrifice that part if it needed to. its not an important part anymore.

360 has dodgy backward compatibility and sony pretty much killed theres and that was the biggest selling console of LAST gen... not like the gamecube.

Zelda released this year is my number one wish. Numeber 2 would be Mario Kart 2 but only if it had a track creator and DLC. Can be the same game and it would still be incredible. More battle modes (and better), voice chat, more online and offline multiplayer options (knockout tournaments, leagues etc). Never happen, but we can dream.

Never shay never :D

But if thish wash to happen, pleashe do not avoid mii ash a player becaushe I'm in your room winning all the rayshes - reshulting in your pointsh being reduced at an alarming rate. :D

Better yet, Mario Kart 3DS. I still love Mario Kart DS to this day and I am very much looking forward to the next handheld mario kart experience

Since Dragon Quest IX is coming out sooner then I expected, I don't expect them to go on about a game that's coming out within days after E3...So I guess, Zelda has got my attention. (Metroid: Other M already has my attention :heh: )

Nothing else will keep me interested (Unless they decide to show off english versions of Xenogears (EDIT Xenoblade :heh: ) and Last Story then I will be one happy duck xD )

Outside of Nintendo...nothing really...Last Guardian perhaps. But that's really all.

Edited by killer kirby

english versions of Xenogears

Your reputation precedes your Freudian blowjob slip.