NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
lostmario

de Blob 2

The main thing I would love in the original game was a better save function. And, this sounds like it has improved on that aspect. Definitely tempted.

A lacklustre review from 1UP.com - C+.

Splatter paint on a piece of scenery and it not only causes the area to spring to life with color, it also sets off a brief snippet of additional background music. The instrument triggered varies depending on the color you're currently using, so blue might prompt a mean saxophone solo while purple lets loose a jazzy guitar riff. By the time you've finished coloring an entire neighborhood, it's gone from a silent, blank slate to a vibrant, rainbow-colored and music-filled cityscape.

This is the de Blob we know and love. :yay:

Levels start to feel formulaic pretty quickly, and, creative as the basic gameplay seems initially, things go stale well before the lengthy story mode reaches its conclusion.

This kind of criticism makes it sound unimaginitive. :(

I will wait for the Eurogamer review.

Scratch that, I will wait until I have money and/or time. And played everything I have waiting right now.

Gametrailers review:

Best part for me is that it stops the clock when you've finished the main missions, so you can go around doing sidequests without dying every 5 minutes.

My copy of the Wii version should be in the post, just hope it's decent compared to the HD ones.

This is £22.97 in Asda on the Wii (It's £19.97 for those interested in the DS version) so buy it! :D

I bought it earlier. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but will have a go later on. Wanted to play Kirby first.

Also, watched that Gametrailers review this morning and it's so half arsed it was hardly worth watching. Knew they wouldn't bother looking at the Wii version, even though it was developed first for the Wii and then taken across to the other consoles, but they didn't even mention differences between the games at all in any area.

Played the first level earlier. Some how took 40 minutes. That's what I loved about the original de Blob. You'd sit down for a 15 minute romp and come away an hour or so later.

It feels very familiar, but in a good way. Still great fun scouring the levels for all the items and things to colour in. Didn't even touch the secondary quests when playing the level so 40 minutes for just colouring things in and doing the basic quest is pretty damned good, although I'm sure others will be able to do it quicker. Just wish it was so stop start, with all the little tutorial bits continually popping up. Hopefully that's them all covered in that first level.

Two points though. 1) Jumping is still poor, even now it's been placed on the A button as it's floaty. 2) Camera still sucks, and coupling that with the jumping makes some of the platforming harder than it should be.

Still great fun and a very nice companion piece for Kirby's Epic Yarn as it's just so easy to relax with. So if you loved the first one, there's no excuse not to buy it.

Also, watched that Gametrailers review this morning and it's so half arsed it was hardly worth watching. Knew they wouldn't bother looking at the Wii version, even though it was developed first for the Wii and then taken across to the other consoles, but they didn't even mention differences between the games at all in any area.

IGN's video review showed about 5 seconds of Wii footage in the middle while the narrator said "look how crap it looks compared to the others" (it looked pretty much the same to me apart from no HD).

My copy hasn't arrived yet, may get it on Monday...

Ganepark32, what's the frame rate like? Does it go choppy or is it still 60fps like the first? I saw 1 video of the first 15 mins on youtube which looked jerky, hoping it's the video not the game...

Ganepark32, what's the frame rate like? Does it go choppy or is it still 60fps like the first? I saw 1 video of the first 15 mins on youtube which looked jerky, hoping it's the video not the game...

It's pretty smooth frame rate wise. There are dips occasionally when there is a lot on the screen or if there's a lot happening, but they're small dips. Nothing that makes it jumpy but they're such that you'll notice the slight dip. Would be interesting to see how the frame rate holds up on the 360/PS3 versions. I'm guessing better. But yeah, it's pretty smooth for the most part so not an issue.

The bigger issue is the pop in of assets. Don't remember it being as noticeable in the first game as it is here. Turning the camera (if you can because it's a damn mess just like in the first game) shows it clearly at times.

I haven't played the first one in about 2 years so I can't remember everything but I think the first was generally a lot cleaner looking in terms of textures as some of them this time around (particularly on the leechbots and stuff) are pretty poorly done.

It's still a good game, and definitely worth picking up if you loved the first one, just that the switch to multiplatform has definitely hit the title's quality on the Wii and it can be noticeable at times.

I've only just played the first title on the Wii, I do like it, and how...somehow, I don't get terribly bored despite the repetativeness. I do dislike flick jumping though, and find the controls/camera a bit awkward at times. I am going to hold out for this to fall sub £20/15 on the 360 I think, and probably purchase it then. I always had in my mind before playing the original that it'd use lots more motion control.

I've only just played the first title on the Wii, I do like it, and how...somehow, I don't get terribly bored despite the repetativeness. I do dislike flick jumping though, and find the controls/camera a bit awkward at times. I am going to hold out for this to fall sub £20/15 on the 360 I think, and probably purchase it then. I always had in my mind before playing the original that it'd use lots more motion control.

It's already dropped to £17.85 on all-formats, over at Zavvi

Just finished the first level (2 hours later, got 100%). Impressions:

So far, this game is nothing short of amazing. My fears of a bad port were quickly brushed aside, and apart from noticing the draw distance (which tbh doesn't affect the experience for me), everything just feels spot-on.

As with the predecessor, everything still breezes by at 60fps \o/

The graphics have had a noticeable upgrade since de Blob. There are some impressive shader effects (normal mapping & rarefaction on the water, ripple effect during transform sequences), great lighting where necessary (rim lighting on individual models & some ambient lighting on the environment esp in indoor sections), some serious work has been done on the realtime texture engine - especially noticeable in places where grass appears as you move over the ground - and generally more detail on everything. When you've finished a level and are exploring to find the remaining items, you realise just how much prettier and more detailed everything is.

The funky dynamic music is back, as expected. I didn't have surround speakers when I played the first, but this is probably 1 of the best surround games I've played on any platform. Sound effects are once again great, with nothing feeling out of place, which contributes to the world around you feeling alive.

The controls are much tighter than the first. Jumping on the A button feels nice and instantaneous (although being 1 of the 0.1% of players who actually liked the flick-to-jump mechanic, I kinda miss it & would've liked it as an option), the floaty jumping has been sorted, no more sticking to walls unintentionally, no more sliding along walls for no reason, no more falling off walls you're intentionally trying to slide along... blue tongue have now obviously made good friends with Havok, and everything feels precise and accurate.

Overall: highly, highly recommended. I can't wait to play the next level.

Edited by mr_bogus

Glad you're enjoying it, Mr Bogus! Whats the music like? Did I read somewhere that the soundtrack was a free download...? (That may be wishful thinking or a daydream I had.)

Glad you're enjoying it, Mr Bogus! Whats the music like? Did I read somewhere that the soundtrack was a free download...? (That may be wishful thinking or a daydream I had.)

Yeah, Gonintendo mentioned it was free last week.

Whats the music like?

Exactly what you'd expect after the first - more of dem funky tracks with all sorts of cool layers being added as you paint stuff :)

£14.85 @ Zavvi

Blimey! WTF happened there?! With less than two weeks to go until the 3DS, I'm going to have to stay strong and resist.

Sign in to follow this