NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I've registered my interest in the developer app. Should be interesting - an iPhone user was particularly impressed when I said i'd be making some apps.

I registered too but I doubt I'll be using it for serious production.

IGN have launched their Android coverage today. Some nice apps detailed, along with a review of the, quite frankly, awesome HTC Evo - which while not heading to the UK anytime soon, may have a british counterpart soon - HTC Desire HD.

A bit late, but cheers for the info on transfering music to the Desire! Although I put them into the 'backup' folder and they show up in the list, but not on the main album cover view... odd. Well, at least the files are there.

Loving the Desire still though, it's an incredible phone!

I'm currently trying out Remember the Milk as I feel I should organise myself a bit better than notes of paper scribbled onto.

In case I don't get along with it does anyone else know of a good app that I can update on my computer (Mac, although I presume most of them will be web-interface based) and sync?

I use Google Calendar for keeping track of work and other things, but prefer my to-do list separate.

I always think about using something like that to organise things a bit better. Then I forget to add stuff to these programs.

The current ROM on my HTC Hero had been going really slow, so I decided to try out a new one. It had the new jit compiler but lacked HTC Sense. I decided to give it a go anyway.

Some of the standard features, such as the lock screen, mail and keyboard (which I said was "moral accurate" on twitter) are actually better then sense (which now seems quite slow and clunky) and a few apps such as LauncherPro, Handcent SMS and MixZing to replace the not-so-good parts. All in all, it now runs amazingly fast and the battery is a bit better than before.

The only thing I was missing was the syncing contacts with Facebook, but I found a way to sync Facebook with my gmail contacts (which in turn is synced with my phone).

My contract is up in a couple of months and I have started to look at new phones. I don't want the iPhone but was thinking about one of these HTC phones.

Is the Desire the best aside from the nexus one? I'm on o2 and they offer the Desire (at a price on the cheaper contracts) so was gonna go for that. Interested in peoples views on what it's like, apps, battery life etc etc.

Cheers :)

The desire is a nexus one with htc sense and a memory boost.

Plus its not been discontinued, unlike the Nexus One.

I have the Desire and mine lasts for three to four days. But then I'm not as heavy a user as some other people. Just popping on facebook/twitter/emails during lunch, the odd phonecall, texts.

Sounds good enough to me. As long as it lasts more than a day.

I think I may go for it unless there is a newer HTC coming out soon?

Well as far as europe goes the desire is still htc's flagship device. There are rumors of a htc desire HD which will be an evo caliber device for the european market.

I got a Wildfire the other day (little brother to the Desire) and I'm loving the software. The completely customizable homescreens are brilliant - use the calendar alot? Have it on the first screen. Use it every now and then? Put it on a side screen. Barely use it at all? Consign it to the app list. And you can do this with absolutely everything, from the clock to the games that you buy. Its awesome.

HTC are workaholics - they develop and ship phones faster than any other manufacturer I can think of - so yeah, they'll be a few more devices in the next few months.

Got accepted to the app inventor today. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but will post back my thoughts

Froyo update 2.2 in available for UNLOCKED HTC desires this weekend. Carrier versions coming soon. T-mobile version coming in September no word from other carriers.

Update 1: orange have said it is expected to take around four weeks.

Update 2: Vodaphone have released a 2.1 update that urinates all over the OS adding various vodaphone 360 services, bookmarks and a new scene. This has prompted several owners with a vodaphone branded handset to debrand and upgrade to 2.2.

Edited by Ten10

I got a Wildfire the other day (little brother to the Desire) and I'm loving the software. The completely customizable homescreens are brilliant - use the calendar alot? Have it on the first screen. Use it every now and then? Put it on a side screen. Barely use it at all? Consign it to the app list. And you can do this with absolutely everything, from the clock to the games that you buy. Its awesome.

*High five*

I find that advert for that new phone so hilarious "With four customisable corners".....I've got four entire screens of customisable. I lulzed.

*High five*

I find that advert for that new phone so hilarious "With four customisable corners".....I've got four entire screens of customisable. I lulzed.

You can still customise the screens but you can also put specific shortcuts in the corners of EACH screen. Which would probably be address book, texts, camera and something else meaning you wouldn't need them on your home screens anyway.

It only took the best part of a year, but T-Mobile finally sent out the 2.1 update for HTC Hero. It's nice.

It still seems a stupid thing to advertise IMO.

Apple advertise features that have been on phones for years.

"With the iPhone you can do other stuff while on hold!"

Okay, another HTC Desire question...

Every time I get a call I always hear a voice saying "Call from [insert person's name/number here]", is there any way to disable this so I can hear my awesome ringtones? I've looked everywhere, but can't see the option to disable it. Thanks if anyone can help.

Can't say I've come across this functionality. Maybe an app you've installed.