NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

If you've not heard of '8pen', take a look;

Having given it a shot, at a reasonable .99p from Android Market, I am really impressed. It seems a great alternative - nay, dare I say it, replacement - for the small keyboards on modern phones.

Just downloaded it - this is going to take some crazy getting used to, but I see it being super fast once I'm trained! :heh:

I can report the 8-pen is pretty fun! It's taking some getting used to, but I already enter the more common letters without having to stop and think. Try it, you may be converted!

I tried it and spent around fifteen minutes on the tutorial trying to write "how". I have up in the end.

Is it just me, or does nobody type on a phone by prodding their index finger at the screen? I doubt this "revolutionary" typing method is really that much quicker than two thumbs on a regular QWERTY keyboard (with autocorrect and autocomplete). I would give it a go though, but I haven't got an Android phone to test it out on.

the one thats from toysrus?! That's the one I was looking at...

Nah it was from Alidi or somewhere aha.

OK so I've just got the Wildfire, but want to get some apps for it. Ofc the Android market is the place to get them, but I don't know how to put them on the phone.

Is it through the HTC Sync program? Because I can't get that to work, as the Wildfire isn't recognised by the computer even though it's plugged in and charging via USB...

You should have an icon for Market in your app drawer (usually accessed from the bottom of the screen). I think its also preloaded to a homescreen.

Search the market for an app, and you should get an 'install' icon there... no need to access from computer.

I still want to be able to use the Sync program, but I will see if I can do it your way in a bit!

I am downloading some shizzle through the Market app, but am still unable to get my phone/pc to recognise each other. Bloody annoying. I've set the thing on the Wildfire to debug, as suggested by people. That allows a connection to be made where i can view files and stuff, but Sync still is unable to work. Lame.

Edited by dwarf

You may have to download the latest version of the sync program from the HTC website: http://www.htc.com/www/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=1058&news_id=804

Also when you connect your device to the pc you must specifically set it to sync. The default option is to charge the device. You can select sync by pulling down the notification bar select the charging notification and change it to HTC sync.

Yeah I did all of that, it just doesn't work.

Anyway, as for the handset (Wildfire) my response is mixed. It struggles to run what you'd think would be simple apps (Angry Birds may as well be unplayable) and, not so much a phone problem, but I can't get Youtube to work off 3G. Generally seems like the operating system is struggling somewhat, and I guess that's because it runs off an old Android version or sommat.

I was under the impression the Wildfire was pretty new and pretty high end but nooooo. Ergh.

Just.... Argh. It might be worth cancelling the contract if that's even possible without Jesus ramifications.

The Android store is miles behind the Apple one as well. Anyone recommend some good game apps I might not know of?

The Wildfire is a new mid-range (or low-range if you just count new smartphones) phone. And don't judge the performance on Angry Birds - the version on the marketplace is reportedly a very buggy/slow version of the game. The old version works fine on my lower-end phone (HTC Hero).

What's the 3G connection like in your area? Once again, it works fine over 3G on my lower-spec phone.

As for game apps, I don't really pay attention to them (games on a mobile phone just don't interest me).

Casual games really interest me, there's just something about touch screen apps that allow you to piss around in a really fun way.

I don't know about 3G, but margh.

Well a couple of dumb casual games I have on my desire are:

Spaceman

Falling ball

Shoot U!

The moron test

The impossible level game (ILG)

Phit droid

Had paper toss

Abduction

Radiant

Angry birds lite might be better for the wildfire if Rovio have released it.

Also try this for your syncing issues: http://androidforums.com/wildfire-support-troubleshooting/108826-cannot-use-htc-sync.html

More specifically:

did you try going into settings, then applications, then development, then make sure usb debugging is ticked on the phone?

Also tried and tested games on the wildfire: http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire/144659-games-list-htc-wildfire-please.html

Edited by Ten10

Ah right thanks for the suggestions.

And yeah I did the debugging. I think I'll just not bother with the dang thang.

One interesting thing about the release is there is a lot of support for technologies often used in games (the PlayStation buttons are also mentioned in the code) - so it looks like Google are trying quite hard to boost gaming on Android.

Although anyone stuck on a phone that won't be updated to 2.3 (I would guess all before the Nexus/Desire) will probably miss out.

I think it would be down to the manufacturers / carriers. If it's a handset that they are still selling then most likely it will get an update. With android it's mainly end of life handsets that don't get updated. ( Considered EOL by carrier / manufacturer.)

HTC recently said that the legend will be updated to 2.2 and the legend is rocking a 600MHz processor. Gingerbread has the same hardware requirements as froyo so should be fine for quite a few handsets.

In the case of Samsung just don't buy one.

I have an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade which also has a 600MHz processor. Froyo runs on it perfectly well.

Since purchasing an Android phone I have learned that the way to get the most out of it is not to be a slave to the manufacturer's update schedule. Custom ROMs are the way to go (I think at lest cube is on a custom ROM too?).

Custom ROMs are the way to go (I think at lest cube is on a custom ROM too?).

Yup. Currently on Android 2.2.1 with the Gingerbread keyboard installed. Runs really fast on my HTC Hero (528 MHz). It looks like it's probable that 2.3 will be ported over at some point, too.

I miss out on HTC Sense, but there are better alternatives out there.

Would a Wildfire with a custom rom of 2.2.1 run fast (if it can be done)? Faster than it does out of the box? It seems like a good mid-range smartphone but dwarf is making it sound slow.

I have a paid modaco account so if you want something from the kitchen just let me know. (To anyone really.)