NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I've got a hd2. Its quite a size but an amazing phone nontheless. Its IMPOSSIBLE to get the screen dirty, and there are videos of people taking knives to the screen and it surviving. Very well made.

I find windows crashes occasionally... by occasionally I mean... like once every few months... but other than that its superb.

From the pictures/videos I've seen of it, it sure does look big :heh:

What's the Marketplace like?

I've got a hd2. Its quite a size but an amazing phone nontheless. Its IMPOSSIBLE to get the screen dirty, and there are videos of people taking knives to the screen and it surviving. Very well made.

I find windows crashes occasionally... by occasionally I mean... like once every few months... but other than that its superb.

When I was working in the admin team at Allianz we had to go through the post, about 3 weeks ago we had an HD2 with a smashed screen...

Just a lil question i've been trying to find out for ages. It's a retarded one probably but i'm out the mobile loop.

If I were to go and get a PAYG android phone, and wanted to use the likes of Google Maps and Twitter, although the app is free, would it cost to use the internet to access and use the apps?

Just a lil question i've been trying to find out for ages. It's a retarded one probably but i'm out the mobile loop.

If I were to go and get a PAYG android phone, and wanted to use the likes of Google Maps and Twitter, although the app is free, would it cost to use the internet to access and use the apps?

Yep, it'll cost you quite a few quid, too. If you think you're going to be a heavy mobile internet user, get a contract.

Gay.

Well now I need to rethink things over, just when I thought I was settled :<

It was 3 I was considering going with for a pay as you go, but not entirely sure how much say, doing a tweet/checking twitter/maps or how much it would cost to get an app fully downloaded.

Tweets and updates will be pretty small. However, images like Google Maps/Navigation will be pretty large. That said, I do loads of surfing (at work), updates, deliberately download apps on GPRS, occasional BBC iPlayer and Youtube and maybe an hour a month of navagation, and my usual data usage is about 200megs.

Cut out the iPlayer/youtube streaming and you'll probably be under the 150mgs allowance Three offer. That said Orange and T-mobile have great data allowances on their pay monthly contract plans + free phone, of course.

Thanks for that tip there, was really handy. To be honest, just that and i'd be pretty much set to go buy a phone tomorrow.

Looked about after what you said about that 3 150 MB allowance and now I just found out about the free texts, 3 - 3 minutes and internet allowence when you top up £10 which is a pretty nifty bonus.

But from going by what you said, does seem like the allowance should be enough till I end up topping up again.

Probably gonna go for Wildfire, don't really have a need for the likes of Galaxy S and Desire.

Angry Birds on Android seem to have killed GetJar and Rovio. They should have just stuck it on the Marketplace.

My Desire HD should hopefully be with me tomorrow, just got an email confirming and it's already been picked up by DHL.

Can't wait!

Finally got a message saying I can update to Froyo. I don't need to backup or anything beforehand do I? I know I've asked before but my memory is shit.

Finally got a message saying I can update to Froyo. I don't need to backup or anything beforehand do I? I know I've asked before but my memory is shit.

If it's anything like my Hero's update, back the shit out of everything up. :hmm:

Angry Birds on Android seem to have killed GetJar and Rovio. They should have just stuck it on the Marketplace.

I'm fairly sure that's where I downloaded it from.

The funny thing was, on Friday a mate at uni was saying he spent his entire last lesson playing angry birds on iPhone and I asked him if it was out on Android. And then later that day, I saw the postings online saying it was now available so I got it and it's great fun.

Well for some reason Rovio decided to have a 24 hour exclusive on Getjar. I guess what they weren't expecting was a large number of the Android community going to Getjar to grab it. And then their website to find out why it wasn't working.

Am I the only one who thinks Angry Birds is a bit shit? Own both the iPhone and iPad games but I really don't 'get' it. To be fair I am shockingly bad at it, which might be why.

lol contradictions!

I didn't bother backing up anything and the update had no effect on the existing items on my phone so I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

Am I the only one who thinks Angry Birds is a bit shit? Own both the iPhone and iPad games but I really don't 'get' it. To be fair I am shockingly bad at it, which might be why.

It's just a good time killer with plenty of charm. You fire it up, play a few levels then put it away again. If you are as bad as you say you are, it might hamper the level of enjoyment you get out of it but still, I think you are closer with the just not "getting it" remark.

I've always found it rather average. It's just... it's like a million flash games that I've been playing on my PC, for free, for years.

Cut the Rope and Plants vs Zombies are much better and deserve way more attention.