NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I have no idea what you just said.

We're talking about baking, kitchens, frozen yoghurt and gingerbread.

I don't actually have a Wildfire, I was just asking if, theoretically, getting 2.2.1 would make it a good device.

2.2 has better performance than 2.1 but I don't know what gains there would be on the wildfire.

Another option would be root and overclock to maybe 700Mhz at the expense of battery life.

Need for speed shift

Tetris

Sims 3

All 65p on the android market place. Check comments for any incompatibility issues. Need for speed works great on the desire

Only Tetris appears in my marketplace, I would guess that the others are missing due to incompatability.

Aparently fifa 10 is also in the deal, doesn't appear in my marketplace so I can neither deny nor confirm. I think I might pick up tetris, even though I don't have the space it will be a nice addition for a future upgrade / tablet.

So, I got a Desire.

LOVE IT. My first proper smart phone and I don't think I've let go of it for about 5 hours.

Couple of questions about email. I've set up my Gmail account. Awesome. I have a hotmail account too, however I'm not a huge fan of POP. Do you guys use that? trust it? I've got a little bookmark downloaded that takes me to my hotmail account so i'm using that but it would be easier to use the mail app. What do you guys do??

Also, Recommend me some good apps to get. Free ones of course :D

Unfortunately you have to use pop. Active sync doesn't seem to work with hotmail on the desire. Not quite sure who is at fault on that one. I use pop it works well enough for me. The downside is that there is of course no reconciliation so if I delete mail from off the account via PC it isn't reflected in the mail app. Does work from phone to mail server though.

List of Apps: http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1176451&postcount=917

That list probably needs updating as there have been tons of new apps since then. I'll get round to it one day.

Get need for speed shift. Massive saving on that game at the moment.

Just a word of warning. The marketplace currently uses google checkout, which charges you in the currency that the developer is selling the app in. Even though it gives you a cost in your own currency you will be charged in $ if an American developer Euros etc.

So if you add a debit card but your bank charges you for transactions of foreign currency a 99p app could end up costing you £2.49

Edited by Ten10
See the cops warner brother

Claire's just got a Samsung Galaxy S with O2 interwebs, but how the fuck do you connect to O2 interwebxs?

Another option is configuring Gmail to download the Hotmail emails (via POP) and then ignoring logging in though hotmail from then on. You can even send from your hotmail address using gmail - everything is in the settings in gmail.

Claire's just got a Samsung Galaxy S with O2 interwebs, but how the fuck do you connect to O2 interwebxs?

If you have a package with internet in then you just put the sim card in.

If you have a package with internet in then you just put the sim card in.

Hmmm, thats not worked. :(

Maybe check the wireless & networks under settings. I think the Samsung skin also provides the switches for these in the notification bar.

Ok so the battery life isn't too great. Lasted about 14 hours. I was playing with it a bit but not too much.

Any tips??

Wifi off, GPS off and got myself an app killer etc

Edited by Platty

Task killers do nothing in 2.2. One thing you could try is going down to the lowest brightness setting. If you want to take power saving further you can disable mobile networks, but then the whole point of android goes out the window doing that.

You can get extended batteries for the desire. Personally I tend to get 15 hours under my normal usage which is email on sync web browsing, music, video and gaming.

Best I've got doing some power saving techniques is around 25 hours.

I use manual sync and I'm pretty sure that helps loads. Biggest saver for me is not playing angry birds. That is a phone killer!

I'll have a play about with some of the settings. I just want it to last the day really, 24hours at most so I only have to charge it once at night and don't have to worry about the battery life throughout the day and end up not actually using the phone.

I heard after a few charges the battery tend to sort itself out a bit anyway... not sure if that is true or not.

I'll have a play about with some of the settings. I just want it to last the day really, 24hours at most so I only have to charge it once at night and don't have to worry about the battery life throughout the day and end up not actually using the phone.

I heard after a few charges the battery tend to sort itself out a bit anyway... not sure if that is true or not.

If you only want to charge it at night then, assuming you sleep for 8 hours, it only really needs to last for 16 hours, it's not like you'll use it when you're asleep! :heh:

If you only want to charge it at night then, assuming you sleep for 8 hours, it only really needs to last for 16 hours, it's not like you'll use it when you're asleep! :heh:

Haha true!

It lasted about 16 hours today actually and I used it quite a bit. I think draining it dead and charging it switched off worked wonders on it last night. Maybe.

Really loving the phone though. So happy with it and glad I didn't go down the iPhone route.

Platty, they do tend to say that in the Desire the first few charges are the shortest for whatever reason.

I charged mine yesterday morning and was texting like a mother fucker yesterday and the odd phone call. Pottering on and off the internet today on it and its at the 50 mark now. As I doubt I'll use it much the next few days (work) I think it'll last until Tuesday night. Four days ain't bad.

Just a few android news pieces.

New music player UI:

Some crappy angry birds ripoff angry frogs:

Think the best thing is probably the music but even that is probably stolen.

First Unreal Engine game for android released at $2.99

Dungeon Defenders:

Apparently works best on Galaxy S / Hummingbird powered devices, 600MB download required. Not recommended for Nexus one / HTC Desire.

SGS footage:

Edited by Ten10

The missus got herself a HTC Desire before Christmas, and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed and amazed by it. I never really cared much for the iPhones and the W7 phones, but this thing is simply stunning. You could replace your desktop PC with this thing! There's nothing it can't do.

Nice that it's powered by Linux too. I'm a Linux user myself mostly, on the desktop, so it's cool to see it broadening it's appeal and abilities.