Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

RIP Alexander McQueen

chairdriver

British fashion designer Alexander McQueen has died in London, his press office in Paris said Thursday, after media reports said he had apparently committed suicide aged 40.

Emergency services were called to his home in central London but he was pronounced dead at the scene, the reports said, and a British police spokesman said the death was not being treated as suspicious.

:red:

Really sad.

Come on plebfaces. Chair's opening quote said "British fashion designer Alexander McQueen." Then if you want to know more info you paste that name into google and scan the results. If you want to know even more you click on the inevitable wikipedia link which google will bring up. Do this with every piece of info you "huh?" at and you may leave the state of plebface one day.

Don't make me infract your asses for being plain retarded.

His fashions generally shattered senses.

I can tell, that is most crazy. Does anyone ever wear clothes these "fashion designers" off the catwalk?

Come on plebfaces. Chair's opening quote said "British fashion designer Alexander McQueen." Then if you want to know more info you paste that name into google and scan the results.

When asking means people give answers? This is easier.

Don't make me infract your asses for being plain retarded.

Incorrect, if you're going to infract me, infract me for being lazy.

Possibly, but when someone makes clothes, I like to assume they are for use by almost everyone.

But..It's art. Do you think what Gaga where's is going to be found in Primark anytime soon? No. It's not meant to be practical and meant for the masses. It's meant to be appreciated much like any other piece of art. Surely you understand even that? Thinking of them merely as clothes is kind of silly.

(Or am I being equally retarded here?)

But..It's art. Do you think what Gaga where's is going to be found in Primark anytime soon? No. It's not meant to be practical and meant for the masses. It's meant to be appreciated much like any other piece of art. Surely you understand even that? Thinking of them merely as clothes is kind of silly.

But it's called fashion, not art.

Sad. A bit random, cause he's so famous and well-loved by all, with no obvious suicidal tendencies. But then he's not a celebrity whose life is splashed across the news all the time.

He was a really great fashion designer, from what I've seen. Just really interesting and thought-provoking for what it was.

But it's called fashion, not art.

Technically fashion comes under the "art" umbrella nowadays, or at least fashion design.

The people who primarily do fashion on my course can't just make clothes that have already been made...the point is to create new and intriguing things that'll get people thinking and influence future trends in fashion.

Sad. A bit random, cause he's so famous and well-loved by all, with no obvious suicidal tendencies.

Which is weird, as the police aren't treating is as suspicious.

Someone apparently killing themself out of the blue would certainly raise some alarms.

the point is to create new and intriguing things that'll get people thinking and influence future trends in fashion.

Which portion of fashion are you referring to?

What I mean is, when you say it'll influence trends in fashion, do you mean the fashion you'd see on the catwalk, or the fashion you'd see in the high street?

I wish I could find the clip of this on Youtube. (Quote from The Devil Wears Prada).

This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.

I wish I could find the clip of this on Youtube. (Quote from The Devil Wears Prada).

That quote's a bit over the top, but I like it's sentiment.

To comment "Well it's just clothes." would be like standing in front of Millais' Ophelia and being like "Well it's just paint on a canvas."