Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Domain & Web hosting

Ramar

Firstly I apologise for what appears to be a bi-annual topic, but a quick search brought up some old topics, so I thought I'd ask for new recommendations.

Basically I've got bored of not finding decent employment, so I want to knock a quick website portfolio. But I've never purchased a domain or webhosting, so recommendations on good places, prices and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Budget wise I'd say about £30-£35 a year for hosting and domain, I don't need too much in terms in bandwidth.

http://www.dataflame.co.uk is my favourite host. Absolutely fantastic support - I always got email responses within 10 minutes any time of day. They take backups for you. Everything is always very fast, very reliable.

I'd second that. It's been a while since i've used any hosting, but the last time I did it was them I used and had no problems whatsoever.

My work currently uses UK2 and I really wouldn't recommend them. The only real advantage is the ability to host multiple websites with them (so I've put my personal site on work's hosting as it costs nothing extra).

While the website has been very reliable, we used to have loads of email problems. Although those have been mostly solved - the only problem is their spam filter which you can't turn off.

Are you buying hosting strictly for web design only or will you be doing any programming/scripting?

It's just going to be website for potential employers with all my qualifications and what not with a page to download some programmes I've made. So it's not a website to show off I can design websites, if that makes sense, it's going to be a very basic website.

It's just going to be website for potential employers with all my qualifications and what not with a page to download some programmes I've made. So it's not a website to show off I can design websites, if that makes sense, it's going to be a very basic website.

Oh OK. Then I guess any web host will do. I'd use Google and search for some web hosting reviews.

I've been with quite a few hosts and some real charalatans.

I currently use domainmonster for domains and have done so for a couple of years now. They give you much more control over your domains than someone like godaddy who I DESPISE. Everything seems to cost extra with them.

I've used asmallorange for my webhosting for the last 3 years. Their customer service is excellent, problems solved quickly and they're always willing to go the extra mile. They're very understanding if your payments are a bit late too and don't just down your site immediately. I'm sure there could be better deals around but after some really bad experiences with hosts, I stumbled upon these guys, they've been excellent and so I've stuck with them.

Major tip with webhosts is to avoid any stupidly good deals. Like unlimited bandwidth or space. Even if you don't use that much, someone else will take advantage of the offer and hammer the server meaning your site's performance could also suffer. Companies that offer the 'unlimiteds' generally don't operate for too long.

They give you much more control over your domains than someone like godaddy who I DESPISE. Everything seems to cost extra with them.

The thing is with GoDaddy that during the checkout process they try and trick you into buying all the bells and whistles. You just have to be careful on the checkout process, skip all the deals, untick all the boxes and you can get a really good price. Plus I had some coupon code that got me 2 years hosting for about £20.