NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Brink [PC, PS3, 360]

I can get the special edition from Gamestation for £13 or the normal copy for £9 thanks to the elite card :D

Argh but it keeps saying my billing address is invalid even though it's not =\

[edit] fixed and pre-ordered =)

Edited by The Peeps

For those interested in the PC version, you can pre-order the game for £20.89 from My Memory by using the code "AMA5".

Apparently boxed copies activate on Steam, so if you were planning on buying through Valve this more or less shaves 30% off the asking price.

I've no idea, although opinion of them seems generally favourable.

If the game didn't arrive on launch I suppose you could always buy it through Steam on the day, sending back the physical copy once it arrived. It seems a worthwhile risk for me given the price difference, but that's up to the individual.

In the meantime get Company of Heroes. You will not be disappoint.

This game could really do with a demo.

agreed, they have released a ton of demonstration videos showing how its objective based play, headset-less communication etc... work but it could really benefit from giving gamers the chance to try it out.

this says it for me from 1up's review;

Brink is unfinished. And that doesn't mean it's full of technical problems. Well, it's got those too. But mostly, it's just an unpolished, poorly executed mess of ideas.

Not really any excuse for this when its been delayed a few times...I guess theres that old saying "you can't polish a turd"

And that's why I don't pre-order games I'm not positive are going to be awesome :heh:

Huh, well I can't really afford it anyway so no bad thing.

This was always at risk, some of the gameplay videos looked a bit naff, and the campaign was bound to be shit. Shame, because the multiplayer had some decent ideas.

I'm interested to see how the potential NE clan awkwardly disbands. The word 'clan' presumes loyalty, troopers. Now get outta my sight.

Well I'm still getting it, hopefully if there are problems then they'll get patched soon enough.

I'm still going to get it. Frankly, there's been some odious guff surrounding more than a few of the reviews- the poorest all based on a 2 hour review session in a hotel with bots only. The more positive reviews are by writers who spent more time with it.

and hell, if it's shit then L.A Noire is out soon. Trade in for that and we're all good.

I wouldn't even say the reviews have been terrible for the game, or at least not the ones I have seen. They've been generally positive, highlighting the few issues such as poor single player component with poor ally AI and graphical blemishes, giving scores around the 8 out of 10 mark which is by no means "shit", as some of you are interpreting from that 1UP review (I haven't read the whole thing but that little snippet posted above tells a tale that no other review I've read has told).

I'm personally going to wait a little on this, to see how the online community has turned out (whether its all CoD meatheads going for kills or whether people are genuinely working together to complete the objectives as they should do), but I do think I'l pick it up on the 360 some time early next week. Must remember to pick up a new headset as well.

I was in the beta. I am interested in how much the game has improved given the delays etc. :laughing:

This game could really do with a demo.

If they want 0 sales, sure.

I wouldn't even say the reviews have been terrible for the game, or at least not the ones I have seen. They've been generally positive, highlighting the few issues such as poor single player component with poor ally AI and graphical blemishes, giving scores around the 8 out of 10 mark which is by no means "shit", as some of you are interpreting from that 1UP review (I haven't read the whole thing but that little snippet posted above tells a tale that no other review I've read has told).

I'm personally going to wait a little on this, to see how the online community has turned out (whether its all CoD meatheads going for kills or whether people are genuinely working together to complete the objectives as they should do), but I do think I'l pick it up on the 360 some time early next week. Must remember to pick up a new headset as well.

Another pessimisticish review at joystiq;

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/brink-review/

Its moments of triumph are unsatisfying, and far outnumbered by its moments of crushing frustration. At every turn, it doesn't just settle for mediocrity -- it runs towards it with ramming speed.

Yes you are right there are more optimistic reviews out there but I think they are maybe being slightly swayed by what it does different and despite its obvious shortfalls. Although this isn't unique to Brink, look at the great scores both Fallout 3 and New Vegas got (oddly also Bethesda published titles) despite their large numbers of faults/bugs/glitches.

Consider me disappointed. This looked like it had promise.

This looked like it had promise.

Never did. The game was a mess whenever it was shown or spoken about. The developer's last game was ET:Quake Wars. Where they shit talked constantly about DICE and BF2. They delayed, also missing BF2142 funnily enough (and even BC maybe?) and then released a really crappy game. It had more hype than this game.

Brink will do well though as some people really got behind it when it came to the hype. You had some people even claiming the game would be a revolution or something lol. They did not shit talk any games specifically this time but they did take shots at teamwork fps in general.

It's going to be fun reading responses to the actual game. The beta was disturbingly bad. It's the kind of game that would make bad Wii fps seem good. Obviously they will have worked on the game for afew months but i doubt they pulled a miracle as the core base gameplay was terrible. It's not stuff that can be patched or fixed coming out of a beta.

I thought you said the Brink beta was incredible a few months ago?

Read a few reviews, watched a few videos; I'm gonna pass. It just doesn't look or sound like it's any good. The ideas were there but the execution is just... off.

I really hope The Witcher 2 is good. Between Brink and 'Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword' I'm feeling a tad disappointed with PC gaming right now.

Edited by McPhee