Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Your Capitalist Agenda Pushing List

jayseven

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Molly - Just because I do something that goes against my argument doesn't mean that it's any less valid. :heh: Plus, I need the jacket, I lost my old one. And I delude myself into thinking that cultural possessions like books and dvds and cds don't count. But they do. And still, if they were all stolen, I'd be a bit upset, but honestly speaking I wouldn't really be that annoyed by it. The experience would still be there. :heh:

Yes we are all materialistic bastards. It's a sorry state of affairs. But I stand by the fact that you having a go at people at Christmas when you're just as bad (nearly, anyway :P) is completely hypocritical and pointless ::shrug:

Oh, and by the way, how are you?

Swell thanks, how are you? :)

PS - I'm not the grinch!

Yes you are ;)

Yes we are all materialistic bastards. It's a sorry state of affairs. But I stand by the fact that you having a go at people at Christmas when you're just as bad (nearly, anyway :P) is completely hypocritical and pointless ::shrug:

No it isn't!! Christmas is supposed to be about family! But instead, everyone gets a bonus so they can spend more money on things they don't need!

I'm not just as bad!! Yeah, I do have books DVDs and CDs, I spend approx 40£ a month spoiling myself like that, and it's already way too much. In comes christmas and... nothing, cause I don't get presents. My gran-gran gives me a box of chocolates and me and my mom give each other a book every month. That makes a total of about 10£, and if you ask me honestly, I don't really want anything else (and I always give the chocs to my brothers, I don't like them, lol). And you're calling me a hypocrite because I say people want too much? No offense, but I don't think it's hypocrisy to say it's a bit too much asking for the things some people are asking for. Like, I remember reading a few pages back about someone planning on asking for Fallout 3 Game Of The Year Edition... I think that's just such a stupid waste of money! I mean, why ask for something that'll cost 4 times less in one year now? The exact same thing! But it seems I'm alone on that one, everyone buys games/books/CDs at launch. (I open an exception when it's something like Street Fighter 4 or Modern Warfare 2, in which buying it later will make the game worse). I can't ask for something like that and feel good about myself!! And it's not like I'm poor, it's just a matter of integrity!

/Rant.

Ignore me, please. :cry:

No it isn't!! Christmas is supposed to be about family! But instead, everyone gets a bonus so they can spend more money on things they don't need!

If we're being really picky, the actual answer is that Christmas is a Christian celebration to celebrate the birth of Baby Jeeeeeeesus. Geez us. :heh:

Lifes too short to wait a year to buy something, just because its cheaper.

Its just money, *shrugs*

Life's too short to spend it hung up on things. Unless you have no ambitions? The money (yes, it's just money) you save... you can use on being alive. Instead of on being a zombie (here's looking at George Romero).

What, you think I just save the money I don't spend "for the future"?

Fuck no... it paid for my trips to Japan, Europe rail pass, Nepal, so on and so on. That's life, you know? Not sitting at home playing Uncharted 2, not my jacket, not watching Lost on TV. Those are the intermissions between life. The white noise.

Plus, there's a hole in your theory: there's stuff coming out all the time, which means that no matter when it is, there'll always be things you want available for cheap prizes, systematically. Unless you want very few things, in which case this doesn't even apply.

If we're being really picky, the actual answer is that Christmas is a Christian celebration to celebrate the birth of Baby Jeeeeeeesus. Geez us. :heh:

Somewhat accurate. But there's millions of non-christians celebrating it. :heh:

I'm not just as bad!! Yeah, I do have books DVDs and CDs, I spend approx 40£ a month spoiling myself like that, and it's already way too much. In comes christmas and... nothing, cause I don't get presents. My gran-gran gives me a box of chocolates and me and my mom give each other a book every month. That makes a total of about 10£, and if you ask me honestly, I don't really want anything else (and I always give the chocs to my brothers, I don't like them, lol). And you're calling me a hypocrite because I say people want too much? No offense, but I don't think it's hypocrisy to say it's a bit too much asking for the things some people are asking for. Like, I remember reading a few pages back about someone planning on asking for Fallout 3 Game Of The Year Edition... I think that's just such a stupid waste of money! I mean, why ask for something that'll cost 4 times less in one year now? The exact same thing! But it seems I'm alone on that one, everyone buys games/books/CDs at launch. (I open an exception when it's something like Street Fighter 4 or Modern Warfare 2, in which buying it later will make the game worse). I can't ask for something like that and feel good about myself!! And it's not like I'm poor, it's just a matter of integrity!

/Rant.

Ignore me, please. :cry:

So anyone that has more than two things on their list doesn't know that Christmas is about family?! You started (pages back) by saying that all Brits want too much, which was a massive generalisation and here's another one! :heh:

Oxigen I'm getting one thing for Christmas that I've bought for myself because I need it. Yes I need to know the time, alright? :P

We're not going to get anywhere, I've told you I agree with the idea. This may sound like I'm worked up, but I'm really not. :)

There's millions of people giving and receiving presents, too. :heh:

I think you're getting yourself a bit too worked up over the meaning of Christmas. That's why I posted that in my last post, because if we're all going to be picky, then technically everyone should be going to Midnight Mass, etc. :heh:

You said that Christmas is about spending time with your family. That's your meaning of Christmas. Thinking about the presents, do people give gifts to randomers everywhere? Nah. It's family and friends. I consider my friends to be family to me, but an extended and different kind of family. Whether you give them yourself, giving them your time and attention or giving them gifts, then what's the harm? You're still "giving" something to the other person, whether it's your love, your time, your attention, or a gift. The gift is just a representation of that, at least I think so anyway. That's my interpretation of it.

My Christmas Wish List

Bear in mind this is a list of EVERYTHING I want in my whole entire life, as a guide to my parents (they never know what I want). I've told them to choose at random stuff from it, so I get a surprise.

CDs

Yeah So - The Slow Club

More Adventurous - Rilo Kiley

Take Offs And Landings - Rilo Kiley

Goodbye England (Covered In Snow) - Laura Marling

XX - The XX

Blood Bank - Bon Iver

The Collection - Alanis Morissette

Cruel Sister - Rachel Unthank

Legs To Make Us Longer - Kaki King

Fixin' To Thrill - Dragonette

Voltaic - Bjork

Ellipse - Imogen Heap

Speak For Yourself - Imogen Heap

Don't Stop - Annie

Un Dia - Juana Molina

Love In The Time Of Science - Emiliana Torrini

Fisherman's Woman - Emiliana Torrini

() - Sigur Ros

Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros

Return To Saturn - No Doubt

Strange Little Girls - Tori Amos

Walnut Wales - Joanna Newsom

Yarn and Glue - Joanna Newsom

DVDs

Inglorious Basterds

Moon

Sympathy For Mr. Vengence

Arrested Development (Seasons 1 - 3)

Battlestar Galactica (Seasons 1 - 4)

Antichrist (I'm not sure it's out, but it's stunning to write down)

Clothes

Smart shoes

Nice jeans

Tegan and Sara t-shirts (particularly the purple one with knives on it)

Warm, smart jacket

Jewelry which both stuns and reminds the onlooker of the world which Joanna Newsom creates in Ys

Calvin Klein pants

Calvin Klein Crave (cologne)

Random clothes which set the fire to the third bar/fix to thrill.

Electrical Stuff/Gaming Stuff

A PSP

Final Fantasy Dissidia

Star Ocean (on PSP (I'm being unspecific, because I don't mind which))

Dynasty Tactics 2

Kessen III

Henry Hatsworth In The Puzzling Adventure

Digital camera

USB Stick

Blank CDs

Books/Stuff Forged From Paper

Music posters of any band/artist I like, and any of the people listed in the CD section

Books that are classics

Labryinths by Borges

Life's too short to spend it hung up on things. Unless you have no ambitions? The money (yes, it's just money) you save... you can use on being alive. Instead of on being a zombie (here's looking at George Romero).

What, you think I just save the money I don't spend "for the future"?

Fuck no... it paid for my trips to Japan, Europe rail pass, Nepal, so on and so on. That's life, you know? Not sitting at home playing Uncharted 2, not my jacket, not watching Lost on TV. Those are the intermissions between life. The white noise.

Plus, there's a hole in your theory: there's stuff coming out all the time, which means that no matter when it is, there'll always be things you want available for cheap prizes, systematically. Unless you want very few things, in which case this doesn't even apply.

For some to be fair, sitting infront of a telly with uncharted 2 is a pretty good life! :grin:

So anyone that has more than two things on their list doesn't know that Christmas is about family?! You started (pages back) by saying that all Brits want too much, which was a massive generalisation and here's another one! :heh:

Oxigen I'm getting one thing for Christmas that I've bought for myself because I need it. Yes I need to know the time, alright? :P

We're not going to get anywhere, I've told you I agree with the idea. This may sound like I'm worked up, but I'm really not. :)

I was just letting out steam 'cause you called me a hypocrite! :heh:

I said that in general, brits ask for more than we (the Portuguese... and on that matter, I'll take the chance now and expand that to the Spanish, the French or the German do. I don't know about other countries, so I won't say anything about them) do. So, of course it's a generalisation. That's what the "general" is for, there's no troops that need command here, are there?

Now I'm gonna be picky. You don't need a watch! You have a cell! It tells time! Boooo!

(little secret, I ain't worked up either. I was about the hypocrite, though.)

You said that Christmas is about spending time with your family. That's your meaning of Christmas. Thinking about the presents, do people give gifts to randomers everywhere? Nah. It's family and friends. I consider my friends to be family to me, but an extended and different kind of family. Whether you give them yourself, giving them your time and attention or giving them gifts, then what's the harm? You're still "giving" something to the other person, whether it's your love, your time, your attention, or a gift. The gift is just a representation of that, at least I think so anyway. That's my interpretation of it.

And the fact that people actually put stuff in the same group as love time and attention doesn't upset you? :(:(:(

Seriously, though, it's not so much about "christmas", it's about material possessions. :heh:

Isn't it a little presumptuous to tell other people what is life?

In this case? No. That's why fiction is called fiction, because it isn't real life.

For some to be fair, sitting infront of a telly with uncharted 2 is a pretty good life! :grin:

:grin:

Still, you know what I mean...

*huge list*

But I can't... stooooooop'loving you! (Phil Collins style!)

Edited by Oxigen_Waste
Automerged Doublepost

@ Chair, I want to hold you for the irony. I love it.

I said that in general, brits ask for more than we (the Portuguese... and on that matter, I'll take the chance now and expand that to the Spanish, the French or the German do. I don't know about other countries, so I won't say anything about them) do. So, of course it's a generalisation. That's what the "general" is for, there's no troops that need command here, are there

No you didn't:

I'm just saying, you brits' christmas lists are much bigger than ours. :heh:

Also, is my mobile phone attached to my wrist? Can I see the time in one easy arm motion? No.

:heh:: peace:

No you didn't:

Did you notice the ":heh:" smile at the end, indicating sarcasm, you vile woman?

(Did she fall for that? Damnit...)

Well, I meant in general. :weep: And you know it! :D

Also, is my mobile phone attached to my wrist? Can I see the time in one easy arm motion? No.

:heh:: peace:

Shush you!

Dinner time, over at my house, so... see you in a while.

I'll just assume you must already have Oldboy.

Hey, they're two completely different films. SFMV is the opposite of Oldboy (and Lady Vengeance is a hybrid between the two of them). I know lots of people who love Oldboy and hate SFMV. And I know 2 persons who are the same but reversed.

And the fact that people actually put stuff in the same group as love time and attention doesn't upset you? :(:(:(

Seriously, though, it's not so much about "christmas", it's about material possessions. :heh:

Honestly, it doesn't bother me all that much. That's me being me, though. I like being able to buy something nice for someone I care a lot about and seeing them happy. For example, last year I got Ine (as a joke gift) some blowing bubbles, because I thought it would be a fun little gift and she could be a little silly with it. She used them with her dog, heh.

The fact is that there are many things which people take a lot of joy from. We're on a Nintendo/gaming forum, so it's safe to assume that many of us get joy from gaming. Many of us get joy from listening to music, or seeing particular films, or something else. Why is it so wrong to buy somebody a gift that you think they will like? If you know it will make them happy, then why so bad? Yeah, it can be a little too much indulgance, if you're just getting gifts because "it is simply there." But, if you would genuinally get some joy or use from something, then I don't think it's all that bad.

Take Molly's watch for example. My Mum bought me a watch for my birthday in January, because my old watch was a bit wrecked, broken and old. So, she bought a nice one for me because she thought I would find it useful. When I'm working, I use it. It was her birthday last week, and I bought her a particular CD that she wanted, and she's been listening to that everyday in the kitchen.

Hey, they're two completely different films. SFMV is the opposite of Oldboy (and Lady Vengeance is a hybrid between the two of them). I know lots of people who love Oldboy and hate SFMV. And I know 2 persons who are the same but reversed.

>_> <_< >_>

SFMV is actually the one of the 3 I haven't seen yet. I want to though. I love Oldboy and really liked SFLV.

There's obviously sexual tension between Molly and OxyWaste. All this "Its not about Chrrrristttmassss, its about materialism and posssesssions" stuff is boolshit.

Christmas sex is the best sex of the year. Everyone wants a piece.

If you had your way I would have slept with every other knee member by now :heh: