Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

AbleGamers gets a thumbs up from me!

flameboy

Yeah I've seen it too often, people are like oh "it wasn't that great" and give a 7/10?! 7 is not by any means bad!

Couldn't agree more.

Going back in time to when I used to buy ST magazines, they promoted a system where a game receiving less than 80% was something to somehow be ashamed of. Every game had to be a 90%+ to have any hope of being a monster hit, otherwise it was considered to be horrifically flawed. A title scoring between 80% - 90% always had an enormous (*snicker*) "but" somewhere along the line.

As people have said, 7/10 or 70% is actually not bad. I'd have killed to get 70% in all of my Final Exams, I would not have considered that bad at all.

Disagree with the thoughts about Edge however: They are pompous assholes who perpetuate themselves through trying make others believe that they are somehow superior by being hyper-critical of everything.

You know, Edge aren't harsh at all... they just score games properly. I mean, when you see a 7 on any other game reviewer, you immediately think "average". And only a 5 should mean average. (but alas, when people see a 5 they don't think average, they think mediocre...)

exactly

Edge are proper critics, while the resty of the games industry press are, by and large, a bunch of charlatans and pretenders, devoid of integrity and authority.

Couldn't agree more.

Going back in time to when I used to buy ST magazines, they promoted a system where a game receiving less than 80% was something to somehow be ashamed of. Every game had to be a 90%+ to have any hope of being a monster hit, otherwise it was considered to be horrifically flawed. A title scoring between 80% - 90% always had an enormous (*snicker*) "but" somewhere along the line.

Couldn't agree more. Some of my favourite games were the 70%/low 80% ones. Reviewers, or rather the people reading the review (IGN viewers for example...) do tend to place far too much emphasis on a game getting 8.5 or above out of 10 (convert accordingly) - anything less than that and its shit supposedly.

Also agree with Edge - stuck-up assholes. But then, I don't buy games based on reviews, I read the review to get an idea of the game without taking score into account. Edge reviews are just a load of convuluted shite though. You'd think you were reading a god awful version of Proust.

Anyways, this site seems like a good idea - good to have a new perspective on things and although I don't personally benefit from it, I know plenty of folk who could and thus links shall be sent!