NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I disagree, Nintendo have made it quite clear that console and DS games from OOT onwards all fit together in a particular way. WW references the end of OOT, as does TP and there is continuity between them. The earlier games however, fair enough, it's guesswork as to how they fit in and not worth considering.

True, as you could get to Zora's Domain through the Lost Woods but even then there was a sense of distance between the two. Here I can see the wall that, as far as I can tell, leads up to the river/waterfall.

To be honest, a more connected word is something I'd love to see in this. Zelda games in the past have at times felt like exploring a maze, if done right something a little more open could really improve the series in my opinion.

I started playing through some Twilight Princess again yesterday, and I'm starting to really dig the art style in Skyward Sword now. I just wish that they would do a bit more work on the backgrounds. I thought Faron Woods was particularly beautiful in Twilight Princess simply because of all the detail and shrubbery around the place that made it feel very "forestry".

I hope they can mimic that kind of atmosphere here. I remain hopeful though, didn't Aonuma say they hadn't even decided on an art style towards the end of 2009? If that's the case, than these are really alpha-level graphics. :)

Another good thing about the visual style is that the cleaner and less detailed textures will make it look better when viewed on an non 480p display.

They were actually quite close together in Ocarina of time:

hyrule.jpg

And, oh my god, its surrounded by clouds! Such foreshadowing by Nintendo!

All this talk about timeline, you guys are making it way too complicated...here is how the timeline goes.

Here's my official Zelda timeline:

Legend of Zelda

Adventure of Link

A Link to the Past

Link's Awakening

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Oracle of Seasons

Oracle of Ages

The Wind Waker

Four Swords

Four Swords Adventures

The Minish Cap

Twilight Princess

Phantom Hourglass

Spirit Tracks

Skyward Sword

pretty simple no?

To be honest, a more connected word is something I'd love to see in this. Zelda games in the past have at times felt like exploring a maze, if done right something a little more open could really improve the series in my opinion.

I know what you mean - it's actually a series of ridiculous platforms, corridors and in TP's case, cannons that blast you across the world - even getting to Zora's Domain for the first time in OoT was a little silly. Using the Ocarina to open up the waterfall made it feel you were about to visit this ancient civilisation that nobody had seen in ages and after going through swings and roundabouts to get there, you find that in actual fact their leader is a fat piece of shit that is blocking the way to an even fatter piece of shit.

Something more akin to the trek up to Goron City, where it was simple, albeit epic (which is what I think you're semi-implying would be nice) but also the sense that it's one big interconnected world (aka Zelda with racial harmony). I suppose MM was the only one that got kinda close in that regard.

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood what you've said by the way - I'm tired!

Also, as much as I hate to suggest it, seeing as I absolutely cannot stand most Metroid games, why not borrow the backstory elements whereby exploration/examination (like the scan thing) and persistent conversation with NPCS actually inform you more of the world that you're adventuring through.

I think MM had something similar where you could talk to people wearing different masks and sometimes they'd reveal information that you otherwise wouldn't have known and for the most part I think it really worked!

I know the trailer wasn't quite as 'epic' or megaton-flavoured as the 2004 TP one, but I can't stop watching it for that music... It's epic in its own right. The trumpets... they're beautiful.

I thought the Music was the same as one of the Twilight Princess trailers.

I thought the Music was the same as one of the Twilight Princess trailers.

The four main TP trailers that come to mind are

, and then the Wii-fied E3 2006 trailer. None has the same music as Skyward Sword. Edited by D_prOdigy

Wait, are you talking about the first little bit, from before the demo, or the longer one from after the demo?

Wait, are you talking about the first little bit, from before the demo, or the longer one from after the demo?

Dis is da one.

I know it has elements of classic Zelda music in it, as do the trailer for every iteration. The bit I was noting that I really liked comes in at around 0:44 in that video.

... But now I'm paranoid and worried that that has actually totally been used in every trailer ever and I'm being stupid...

So both of them edited together then. From about 0:40 onward the music is taken directly from one of the Twilight Princess trailers. It was one of the few that they did orchestrated songs for, I don't remember what trailer it was from though.

I love Majora's Mask being in the trailer, it even makes that creepy sound!

Getting more pumped for this game by the day. Despite all my recent complaining, I'm in the mood for a new Zelda-thon experience! Reminds me, I need to pick up a couple of M+'s sometime soon!

I'm actually quite fed up with the cartoony art-style. It was incredibly nice in Wind Waker

If by "incredibly nice" you mean "sucks ass", I couldn't agree more.

Anyway, a few interesting things I've found on other forums:

2881af9.png

What's the interesting bit about this?

aw3ygk.jpg

So true.

That actually really makes me feel sorry for Miyamoto and the gang. Fanboys, and I think especially Nintendo fanboys, are virtually insatiable.

If by "incredibly nice" you mean "sucks ass", I couldn't agree more.

Links new biker thighs.

Its a direct comparison between the two different models. If you don't find it interesting, nothing I say can make you find it interesting. Some do find this sort of thing interesting though.

Wow TP Link has girly thighs.

I'm surprised to read that there are still people out there who don't find WW's visual style totally stunning, innovative and creative. What a beautiful looking game.

Its a direct comparison between the two different models. If you don't find it interesting, nothing I say can make you find it interesting. Some do find this sort of thing interesting though.

So the interesting thing is that they look similar.

No not really. The interesting thing is more the ways they look different, on a smaller scale, it shows somewhat the differences in the art style between the games. The similar model is one of the few things that is consistent, so its one of the few things that can properly be compared.