NEurope
Dante

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

What is most likely is that there is a timeline for only the more recent games, ie: the 3D Zeldas, PH, ST and maybe Minish Cap. They all fit together quite well, with lots of evidence and storytelling that ties them together.

Games like AOL, the Oracle games, A Link to the Past were all created at a time when Nintendo/Miyamoto didn't care about timelines, nor fitting the stories into a set chronological order.

Anyway, SS before OOT eh. Looks like they may be going for a different villain to Ganondorf this time, which will be refreshing.

If that's the case then I hope there's more mythology/involvement regarding the Goddesses and the Tri Force.

One of the reasons I enjoyed OoT so much and something I think TP lacked.

What is most likely is that there is a timeline for only the more recent games, ie: the 3D Zeldas, PH, ST and maybe Minish Cap. They all fit together quite well, with lots of evidence and storytelling that ties them together.

If this game is before OOT, something tells me they're messing with the whole sword master sword origin story again. I wonder if Aonuma is even familiar with the story of Minish Cap.

I get the feeling their "official timeline" is just as simple as.

OCARINA OF TIME ADULT TIMELINE > WIND WAKER > PHANTOM HOURGLASS > SPIRIT TRACKS

OCARINA OF TIME CHILD TIMELINE > MAJORA'S MASK > TWILIGHT PRINCESS

In other words, only shit that Aonuma has been involved in.

Aonuma isn't the only one involved in the timeline. I do wonder if those involved consider Minish Cap Canon though, regardless of where it is. It wasn't made by Nintendo after all.

Aonuma isn't the only one involved in the timeline. I do wonder if those involved consider Minish Cap Canon though, regardless of where it is. It wasn't made by Nintendo after all.

But isn't the director of this game the same man who made Minish Cap?

Am I the only one, who couldn't care any less for a comprehensive Zelda time line and takes each new game as a time line of its own? ;)

Am I the only one, who couldn't care any less for a comprehensive Zelda time line and takes each new game as a time line of its own? ;)

The timeline only matters if Ganondorf appears. And to explain Wind Waker's Hyrule.

Everything else is just self-imposed geekery :heh:

If this game is before OOT, something tells me they're messing with the whole sword master sword origin story again. I wonder if Aonuma is even familiar with the story of Minish Cap.

I get the feeling their "official timeline" is just as simple as.

OCARINA OF TIME ADULT TIMELINE > WIND WAKER > PHANTOM HOURGLASS > SPIRIT TRACKS

OCARINA OF TIME CHILD TIMELINE > MAJORA'S MASK > TWILIGHT PRINCESS

In other words, only shit that Aonuma has been involved in.

I agree with this. Partially because Aonuma has specifically explained how those games fit together in interviews.

Minish Cap is a tricky one due to it involving a different villain and different sword. Plus it's kind of the "origin" of Link's hat, which he has had in all other games.

Quite possibly the biggest scene in regards to continuity in any Zelda game is the Execution of Gannondorf scene, which essentially explains how he was defeated when child Link/Zelda convince the King that he is evil, and having new sages (as the ones in OoT haven't been awakened).

"In fact, most of you people complaining about it are gonna play it and love it. And do you know why? Because Link has a fucking golden beetle that sits on his arm and goes and catches things like a fucking peregrine falcon. 10 out of fucking 10. That is amazing, you're stupid, fuck off." - Jim Sterling

It might upset some people and he might have been a bit... erm, harsh... But. It needed to be said. Zelda has one of the most deluded fanbases in gaming history.

"In fact, most of you people complaining about it are gonna play it and love it. And do you know why? Because Link has a fucking golden beetle that sits on his arm and goes and catches things like a fucking peregrine falcon. 10 out of fucking 10. That is amazing, you're stupid, fuck off." - Jim Sterling

It might upset some people and he might have been a bit... erm, harsh... But. It needed to be said. Zelda has one of the most deluded fanbases in gaming history.

So are Sonic and Final Fantasy fans, but funny enough the Zelda series has been the series that have always been well...good from the first game to today.

He's not eloquent enough to upset people.

Why can't people understand not everything's black and white? There are many shades of grey. Just because someone criticises something doesn't mean they don't like it. I don't care if something's cartoony or realistic, I just want Zelda to get better every time and exceed the technical standard set by Wind Waker (which it hasn't yet).

I'd say the "Zelda is always perfect" crowd are the deluded ones.

Those are the fans that usually don't give a fuck about the timeline, don't complain and bitch about the most stupidest things in a Zelda game and just play the game for what it is... pretty much the only good group of Zelda fans around online me thinks.

I don't care about the timeline, I only complain if something genuinely lessens the enjoyment for me.

is Jim Sterling killer_kirby in disguise or are they just related? ;)

Zelda has one of the most deluded fanbases in gaming history.

There might just be a certain fan base, that's giving them a good run for their money. You know, color's eeevil, 'cause our click-three-gazillion-monsters-to-death-and-then-do-it-again-on-a-higher-difficulty-game is soooo mature.

:P

(I would link to certain mockups of Diablo III screenshots, but apparently I'm not allowed yet)

What I thought the problem with this at E3 was that the visuals were so basic, as if they'd just mocked up a Zelda tech demo. There was very little animation, the world didn't seem at all Zelda like. Yet with nothing going on, I swear I could still heard the Wii's processor struggling.

Yet with nothing going on, I swear I could still heard the Wii's processor struggling.

Don't really understand this comment, sorry. Elaborate?

The graphics did seem a little basic. The art style was gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but graphics wise it looked like another Gamecube title, which was disappointing. I'm sure it'll get better though.

What I thought the problem with this at E3 was that the visuals were so basic, as if they'd just mocked up a Zelda tech demo. There was very little animation, the world didn't seem at all Zelda like. Yet with nothing going on, I swear I could still heard the Wii's processor struggling.

I know exactly what you mean - just not enough brown, rusty brown and mud brown in the game ::shrug: The game look phenomenal in my opinion, it looked stylish and unique - a nice blend of Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. I think if you're picking the visuals out to be "basic"; you're missing the point of the artstyle. The animation looked pretty smooth to me too, on a par with most other Nintendo developed titles.

The level itself was specifically designed for the E3 showing; it may or may not show up in the final game.

I don't think anyone considers Zelda always perfect. Just most of the time. 90% of the time.

I'm not quite in that crowd. I'm more in the Zelda WAS always perfect-crowd. No truly good Zelda's been released since Wind Waker. Before then, however, every single one was awesome!

I'm not quite in that crowd. I'm more in the Zelda WAS always perfect-crowd. No truly good Zelda's been released since Wind Waker. Before then, however, every single one was awesome!

That's down to the raised expectations of Zelda fans and the raised bar of Zelda games. TP, PH and ST are all 'good', outstanding in fact, but personally I agree that perhaps the quality has dropped a tad since WW. Hopefully Skyward Sword will be back up there.

I do have worries that the motion control and way you use all these items will be gimmicky beyond belief and completely overshadow the game itself. :weep:

I agree with this one to a certain extent. More specifically, the fans that believe that Zelda should be always perfect. If any flaws/dislikes are found, they'll attack it with all their might. Those are the ones that annoy me.

No series is perfect, especially considering Nintendo likes to mix up the formula with each iteration of a series, there's bound to be a black sheep in every series. Which one is the black sheep can be open to interpretation, even.

Fans that don't realize this are only setting themselves up for disappointment, and are only that more annoying when they find a game that doesn't live up to their expectations.