NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

On 26/04/2024 at 11:37 AM, Julius said:

Some manufacturers have been able to "touch" the new Nintendo console, without the possibility of actually seeing it to avoid leaks.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box

Step 2: Put your console in that box

Step 3: Have them touch the box

And that's the way you do it

giphy.gif

It's my Switch in a box!

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box

Step 2: Put your console in that box

Step 3: Have them touch the box

And that's the way you do it

giphy.gif

It's my Switch in a box!

Have you been playing Labo recently?

• Haha 1

Pyoro just tweeted a picture of the Nintendo World Championship 1990 NES cart and people are flipping out with speculation. 

Some think that it means NWC is coming to Switch Online, or a new 99 game based on it is coming out, which others are focusing on the dip switches with 'SW2' apparently signifying that Switch 2 is going to be the official name after all 

I honestly have no idea what it might mean but when Pyoro tweets it usually means there's an announcement in the very near future 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well.  The next Nintendo Earnings Release/Investors Meeting is due to happen next week ;)

Posted (edited)

I don't think this is actually the NES ROM on NSO... the description makes it sound like a new take on NES Remix instead!

That would be very cool! :D

Edit: Looks like Pyoro is confirming!

Awesome! :D

I wonder if we could potentially get a SNES edition or a Game Boy Edition later on as well?

Edit 2:  Will cost $30 (So, same price as NES Remix 1&2/Ultimate NES Remix)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Happy 22nd birthday to the GameCube!

Quick write-up on the front page, tried to make it a bit different to the usual best game lists and focus more on the media hype of the time 

https://www.n-europe.com/news/nintendo-gamecube-turns-22-in-europe/?fbclid=PAZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAaazb3FoDaBeapz7NYKEBeMGCFM13rjZaSA_NGFQhUmDIGdSOgfkcgKsVeI_aem_AXIhAiCqWBLPFreOCes9oad8uBXU2dRugO8albat_5sJDACtydmPg0I08yd2o-7_5-Nx3ofuI5sMEG3hWU8Xm5x5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I don't think this is actually the NES ROM on NSO... the description makes it sound like a new take on NES Remix instead!

That would be very cool! :D

I certainly hope so. The NES Remix games were two of the best on the Wii U. Loved them to bits.

58 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I certainly hope so. The NES Remix games were two of the best on the Wii U. Loved them to bits.

Really great games! They introduced me to a lot of NES titles I previously couldn't get into as well. 

• Thanks 1

This week, Australian new trademarks the Wii U title Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush and 3DS title Fullblox, also known as Stretchmo, have been registered with the government. These two new trademarks are interesting because the older ones still exist; it's not a simple renewal, which happens quite often.

Ports incoming? Can't be the end of a console's life unless a Kirby game sees it off into the sunset. :D

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Ports incoming? Can't be the end of a console's life unless a Kirby game sees it off into the sunset. :D

Rainbow Paintbrush would be a miserable game while docked...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Rainbow Paintbrush would be a miserable game while docked...

People expressed the same thing about Skyward Sword on Switch when it was announced but it was great and worked well.

If it does make it off the Wii U, that only leaves Starfox Zero, Nintendoland and Xenoblade X that I want ported over. Make it happen, Nintendo.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

People expressed the same thing about Skyward Sword on Switch when it was announced but it was great and worked well.

Wait, what? The motion controls in that are mostly the same, though?

Just now, Glen-i said:

Wait, what? The motion controls in that are mostly the same, though?

I'm talking about the fact people said the game wouldn't work without motion controls and yet it did.

If Kirby is to be ported, then it would be a SS situation where the controls would need changing to accommodate how the Switch is being played 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm talking about the fact people said the game wouldn't work without motion controls and yet it did.

If Kirby is to be ported, then it would be a SS situation where the controls would need changing to accommodate how the Switch is being played 

I can't imagine having to draw accurate lines with an on screen cursor in a game where you're required to almost immediately start drawing on a different part of the screen after an input.

Pocket Card Jockey is a great example of my concern actually. That game feels clumsy with a controller.

Edited by Glen-i

Posted (edited)

If we’re getting a port of Rainbow Paintbrush, it’ll probably be handheld mode only.

Wouldn't be the first 1st party game to ship without supporting a specific Switch configuration.  Brain Training Switch is Handheld only; and Switch Sports is Docked mode only.

They’ll surely have to ship physical copies with a Stylus though, even if it’s an el-cheapo one like what came with SMM2 and Brain Training.  It’d be unplayable with finger only.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I can't imagine having to draw accurate lines with an on screen cursor in a game where you're required to almost immediately start drawing on a different part of the screen after an input.

Pocket Card Jockey is a great example of my concern actually. That game feels clumsy with a controller.

PCJ is an excellent example of game that should’ve just been handheld mode only.  The Docked experience is utterly woeful.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Liam Robertson is back!

Fascinating video.  Such a shame about what happened to Vicarious Visions…

Hope that Nintendo keep working with their descendants (Velan Studios) going forward.  They’re good peeps.

Posted (edited)

This is Furukawa, President of Nintendo. We will make an announcement about the successor to Nintendo Switch within this fiscal year. It will have been over nine years since we announced the existence of Nintendo Switch back in March 2015. We will be holding a Nintendo Direct this June regarding the Nintendo Switch software lineup for the latter half of 2024, but please be aware that there will be no mention of the Nintendo Switch successor during that presentation.

cGtvv5cl.png

Catching that PS2 record...

The latest software numbers are as follows.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 61.97M (+1.39M)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 45.36M (+570K)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 34.22M (+550K)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.85M (+240K)
Super Mario Odyssey - 27.96M (+310K)
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 26.27M (+100K)
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 24.92M (+560K)
Super Mario Party - 20.66M (+320K)
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.61M (+330K)
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 17.45M (+250K)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 14.25M (+270K)
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 13.47M (+300K)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 13.44M (+1.48M)
Nintendo Switch Sports - 13.11M (+630K)
Mario Party Superstars - 12.89M (+580K)
Splatoon 3 - 11.96M (+250K)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 7.52M (+560K since September 2023)
Pikmin 4 - 3.48M (+510K)
Super Mario RPG - 3.31M (+170K)
Princess Peach: Showtime! - 1.22M
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - 1.12M

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I figured they would at least mention the Switch 2 today so glad they didn't disappoint on that front. Probably the same sort of cycle as the original Switch, reveal in the Autumn and release in Spring. Very interested to see what games they announce in the June direct, could Prime 4 finally make an appearance?

Good to see Princess Peach: Showtime shift over a million copies. Shame we didn't get numbers for Another Code but it was to be expected really. 

Interesting that if they hit their sales target for the next fiscal year they would surpass the DS and be getting very close to PS2's total 

Now that we have confirmation of a June Direct, the question then becomes "What are they going to show there?"

This will almost certainly be the last Direct focused on the current Switch model.  So I reckon they're gonna look to go out on a good note here.

Wasting Metroid Prime 4 on the current Switch would be a stupid move, but if it is going to still happen for the existing Switch 1; this is the game's last chance of being announced for Switch 1.  If it doesn't appear here, then it's a guaranteed launch window title for Switch 2; and it'll probably be exclusive and not a cross-generational release.

Now, I think it's safe to say that the majority of the Switch 1's lineup is gonna be made up of Wii U ports and Wii/3DS HD remasters/remakes, we all know this, has been the case for around a year now.  But I do think we're gonna get a small handful of new games and we already know about Nintendo World Championships, but I propose that we could also be looking at a new Mario Party game too.

ND Cube usually put out one game every 1-1.5 years and the last game they worked on was Everybody 1,2,Switch as a co-development with EPD (Their last solo game being Mario Party Superstars in 2021), so I reckon they'd be due another release come November this year.  We have had late-life Mario Party releases a few times before (7, Advance, 9 and Top 100 all spring to mind immediately) and it's basically a guaranteed 7+ million seller by this point.  So I reckon it'd fit the bill nicely.

HAL are also due to pump out one more Kirby game (their last release being Kirby & The Forgotten Land in 2022 - KRTDdx was made by Vanpool; before being shut down that same year... perhaps their staff were absorbed by HAL and IS?).  You all know that every Nintendo console has to close out with an incredibly late Kirby game, it's basically law at this point.  So I'm gonna bet on a Kirby game either at the end of this year, or start of 2025.

Naturally, we also have Level 5's upcoming games that are due eventually too.  Not unlikely that they'll show up here again with new trailers and (hopefully!) release dates.

Add on a spattering of ports/remasters/remakes (Metroid Prime 2 & 3, Zelda TP HD/TWW HD seem like shoe-ins at least) and you've got yourself a solid console closing Direct I reckon :) 

10 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

"What are they going to show there?"

8p921y.jpg

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Now that we have confirmation of a June Direct, the question then becomes "What are they going to show there?"

This will almost certainly be the last Direct focused on the current Switch model.  So I reckon they're gonna look to go out on a good note here.

Wasting Metroid Prime 4 on the current Switch would be a stupid move, but if it is going to still happen for the existing Switch 1; this is the game's last chance of being announced for Switch 1.  If it doesn't appear here, then it's a guaranteed launch window title for Switch 2; and it'll probably be exclusive and not a cross-generational release.

Now, I think it's safe to say that the majority of the Switch 1's lineup is gonna be made up of Wii U ports and Wii/3DS HD remasters/remakes, we all know this, has been the case for around a year now.  But I do think we're gonna get a small handful of new games and we already know about Nintendo World Championships, but I propose that we could also be looking at a new Mario Party game too.

ND Cube usually put out one game every 1-1.5 years and the last game they worked on was Everybody 1,2,Switch as a co-development with EPD (Their last solo game being Mario Party Superstars in 2021), so I reckon they'd be due another release come November this year.  We have had late-life Mario Party releases a few times before (7, Advance, 9 and Top 100 all spring to mind immediately) and it's basically a guaranteed 7+ million seller by this point.  So I reckon it'd fit the bill nicely.

HAL are also due to pump out one more Kirby game (their last release being Kirby & The Forgotten Land in 2022 - KRTDdx was made by Vanpool; before being shut down that same year... perhaps their staff were absorbed by HAL and IS?).  You all know that every Nintendo console has to close out with an incredibly late Kirby game, it's basically law at this point.  So I'm gonna bet on a Kirby game either at the end of this year, or start of 2025.

Naturally, we also have Level 5's upcoming games that are due eventually too.  Not unlikely that they'll show up here again with new trailers and (hopefully!) release dates.

Add on a spattering of ports/remasters/remakes (Metroid Prime 2 & 3, Zelda TP HD/TWW HD seem like shoe-ins at least) and you've got yourself a solid console closing Direct I reckon :) 

Mightn't they try and release MP4 on Switch 1 given that they have 140 million player base to sell it to? 

I presume that's always the rationale for cross-gen releases. It depends on whether they think it'll make more money by selling more units, or make more money by selling more consoles.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, bob said:

Mightn't they try and release MP4 on Switch 1 given that they have 140 million player base to sell it to? 

I presume that's always the rationale for cross-gen releases. It depends on whether they think it'll make more money by selling more units, or make more money by selling more consoles.

Ensuring the success of their next console and securing their business as a going concern over the next 6-8 years is more important than selling a few extra copies of a single game.

Remember that Nintendo has no backup if Switch 2 fails.  There is no seperate handheld pillar to prop them up this time, so they have to make sure that Switch 2 is an explosive success right away in order to keep their business going through the transitionary period.  That means no dicking around with their releases and being all-hands-on-deck to make sure that Switch 2 is a massive success.

Switch 1's days are numbered, and they cannot afford to let Switch 2 fail.  The big hitters need to be exclusively focused on Switch 2 now (which is why the last year of Switch 1 has been almost entirely made up of remasters/remakes that are mostly outsourced).

Edited by Dcubed

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Ensuring the success of their next console and securing their business as a going concern over the next 6-8 years is more important than selling a few extra copies of a single game.

Remember that Nintendo has no backup if Switch 2 fails.  There is no seperate handheld pillar to prop them up this time, so they have to make sure that Switch 2 is an explosive success right away in order to keep their business going through the transitionary period.  That means no dicking around with their releases and being all-hands-on-deck to make sure that Switch 2 is a massive success.

Switch 1's days are numbered, and they cannot afford to let Switch 2 fail.  The big hitters need to be exclusively focused on Switch 2 now (which is why the last year of Switch 1 has been almost entirely made up of remasters/remakes that are mostly outsourced).

I'd be more inclined to agree with you had they not already announced it for the Switch. It's very similar to the BOTW situation, announced for the Wii U but released on both the Wii U and the Switch. Nintendo needed the Switch to succeed after the performance of the Wii U and could have easily made BOTW a Switch exclusive but they still gave it a cross platform release.