N-Europe

Art

Daft

I got given an art book for my birthday and it's something I've always been interested in. Wanted to see what everyone liked or hated.

I'll post two artists I really like.

First up is El Greco.

toledo.jpe

11807-the-opening-of-the-fifth-seal-the-el-greco.jpg

The colours are stunning. You have to see it in real life to do them justice.

Next is Mark Jenkins who's a bit of an underground artist.

2448162375_18243b72d3_o.jpg

102314381_6534f8a53a_o.jpg

258561836_504c520bee_o.jpg

4049523591_c902dbe02e_o.jpg

Any thoughts?

I quite like Jenkins, particularly how it seems to be touches of oddness to the real world. Not so hot on Greco.

I did wonder round Manchester Art Gallery yesterday and saw some stuff I liked, can't remember anything about most of them but I did see a Modigliani, always been a fan.

modigliani_Jeanne.jpg

El Greco is always, lovely, and I really like those animals by the other guy, but the ones of him/the guy lying on the ground strikes me as amateur/pedestrian. Or I've seen it before or something.

This is a very broad topic.

I'm at art school, so I look at loads of artists all the time, but I will (controversially it seems, everyone else hates her) always defend Tracey Emin. if only because the work appeals to me. I did a huge long essay about her, and I feel that it really helped me appreciate a lot (not all) of her stuff. A girl in my class also studied her and raised the question of how much of a story-teller, as opposed to an "artist' she is. But then the entire concept of questioning what is art is just depressing.

emin_nottheway.jpg

It's Not The Way I Want To Die

She is one of the artist's whose work needs to be seen to be fully appreciated imo (though really all art should be seen in person to be appreciated...)

I like Tracy Emin. She seems like a bit of a laugh as well.

El Greco is always, lovely, and I really like those animals by the other guy, but the ones of him/the guy lying on the ground strikes me as amateur/pedestrian. Or I've seen it before or something.

Yeah, the bike one made me laugh because I'd love to find that when I went to unlock my bike. :heh:

The one with the guy floating in the water is pretty dark. In other photos of it it shows the emergency services sending a diver to collect him. Pretty serious but I could help smiling.

Edited by Daft

It may be cliched, but I love

klimt_kiss-758589.jpg

Stunningly beautiful, but at the same time it feels not beautiful.

Guernica.JPG

Causes me pain to look at.

delacroix_liberty.jpg

The power that Lady Liberty has and owns in this painting. The ultimate portrayal of an empowered woman IMO.

921238.jpg

^ I tore out my eyes because they didn't deserve to see when I first went to the Louvre.

And I love:

212_millais_ophelia.jpg

Yeah, that is the reason I adore. Definition of dazed, beautiful and bruised.

I love her hands the most.

I know, lol. It's just like "...Can somebody PLEASE fight me?"

I also don't the feeling of the actual character of Ophelia from that painting...it's far too sunny. You probably don't know much about her, but she goes mad (for a variety of reasons) and sings really suggestive songs, and then disappears off the riverbank and drowns out of scene. It's a really unromantic death, and no one gives much of a shit about it except her brother (and Hamlet claims to, but you can tell he's lying).

258561836_504c520bee_o.jpg

I love this.

I like lots of different things! Here are a few...

russolo-automobile.jpg

Russolo (I have this on my wall, it's amazing)

17092-rodin-hands-1.jpg

Pretty much anything by Rodin.

T03690_9.jpg

Miro. I love his poem pictures.

monet-thames-below-westminster-NG6399-fm.jpg

Monet. And not just the lilies. I love this one, makes me think of Wordsworth, heh.

Therrien.jpg

Therrien. It's just fucking cool.

1008pitts05.jpg

Marisa Merz. They look like aliens, awesome.

I wish I'd kept some sort of note about the pictures I've enjoyed. I nearly burst my head open just trying to remember the artists I copied during my a-level art course (i.e. a direct copy of one of their pieces then my own version of their style...)

Paj; that Emin rollercoaster piece is really, really cool. I've understood/heard very little of the pros/cons of her, but from what I've seen I prefer her to other modern brit artists like Hirst; he seems to be more provokative than challenging, if you know what I mean?

I'm generally not a fan of modern art, and my appreciation of more classical works comes and goes.

However, as a Civil Engineer, I'm a great admirer of quality architecture - Norman Foster is particularly consistently good.

Bridge.jpg

The Millau Viaduct

Germany_berlin_reichstag-1.jpg

The Reichstag Dome

Someone will probably bitch that it's not "real art", but, in my mind it's more artistic than a majority of "modern art" that I've seen.

Paj; that Emin rollercoaster piece is really, really cool. I've understood/heard very little of the pros/cons of her, but from what I've seen I prefer her to other modern brit artists like Hirst; he seems to be more provokative than challenging, if you know what I mean?

Well, I think both words can be applied to both, but having studied her work in-depth for a good while earlier this year/last year, I really get the emotion and feeling from her work. her work is basically an extension of herself. It's all about her, and it's highly uncompromising. I love it, though it's hard-going. I wrote about that roller-coaster, I love it. Let me dig up what I wrote..

Her more famous and large installation pieces seem to reflect a desire for escapism, or lack thereof, also. “Not The Way I Want To Dieâ€, a huge installation piece at the retrospective I attended, is a roller coaster track assembled out of scrap wood. While the track and the wood seem to evoke the seaside town atmosphere of her hometown of Margate, it’s the title in relation to the piece that is most striking. The track comes out of, and disappears into, the same wall of the gallery space, while remaining fairly constant in it’s course, going around and around. This seems to symbolize how Emin felt about her situation in Margate, but also any of the many claustrophobic relationships she’s had, while the title adds morbidity to the proceedings, and desperation to escape and to be free. Yet roller coaster cars never leave the tracks, except in fatal accidents. So, to me, this piece represents both what she feels her life was like (during whatever period she was thinking about during it’s construction), but also how dangerous a path she was treading. She wanted to leave the track desperately, but to do so would be fatal. But then we question how long a poorly constructed wooden roller coaster track can keep her above ground, before it comes crashing down.

(Love how "school essay" that is, reading it back.)

Oh the bump has loads of connotations, obviously. But then I had a word count to keep to. :p

Yeah, if she's ever exhibiting anywhere near you, go see it, it needs to be seen, imo. She did her first retrospective up here in Edinburgh, dunno if she'll do another for 20 years or so!