NEurope
Dan_Dare

Thriller? (warning: not safe for faith in humanity)

Sky1 have annouced that Psychic medium Derek Acorah will perform a live séance in an attempt to contact Michael Jackson — live on television. Two shows, one called ‘Michael Jackson: The Live Séance’, the other ‘Michael Jackson: The Search For His Spirit’ are to air in November.

The shows will apparently take place at a secret location where Michael Jackson once stayed. The show will be presented by June Sarpong, and will give fans a chance to reconnect with their hero. DigitalSpy has the full article.

Sky1 director of programmes Stuart Murphy said; “There is an insatiable appetite to find out more about Michael Jackson. He was an extraordinary figure and the curiosity surrounding his life - and his death - stretches well beyond fans of his music.â€

thriller460.jpg

:sad:

Heard about this the other day. Absolutely shocking really. Can't believe it's being allowed to go ahead. Thought there were OFCOM guidelines about doing things like seances and the like on TV. Thing is though I bet they'll get shed loads of viewers just from people wanting to see how crass it is so they can complain about it after.

Erm, what? This just sounds terrible, and very disrespectful. Why can't they just let him rest in peace?

Why am I not suprised ...

It does puzzle me a bit that they decide to contact MJ of all dead people. Why not Hitler? Or Einstein? I would argue that those people were more interesting to find out about from a scientific standpoint. But not from a popular standpoint, which just kinda proves the unseriousness of this. If they were really taking this seriously, they would have used this method for more important matters.

I guess I'll be down the pub when this is on. All the idiots should be glued to their TVs. Will be a good night!

I guess it's because the people who actually believe in seances and the like are likely to be ones that couldn't give a shit what Hitler/Einstein would have to say. Maybe we should predict what kind of things Mr Acorah as THE SPIRIT OF JACKSON will say. Surely he's going to slip a 'shamone' in there somewhere.

As soon as i read it was being done by Derek Acorah, he has been proven to be a fake. I am surprised people still watch his shows and that he has been allowed to produce more shows.

I'll be avoiding this, just like the plague!!

in fairness, id love to hear MJ with that scouse accent.

this really is bad taste but my god will it be funny.

I saw Derek Acorah "live" at one of his shows years ago. I enjoyed it, but that was when I was bumming Most Haunted.

I hate shit nowadays.

I saw Derek Acorah "live" at one of his shows years ago. I enjoyed it, but that was when I was bumming Most Haunted.

I hate shit nowadays.

This any better? ;)

I know I posted it lately but I think it bears repeating

If I walked into a single mother's house and said I could read her baby's mind, then started shouting four-letter words, claiming I was simply voicing her offspring's thoughts, I would expect to be arrested the moment I stepped outside.

And if, during my "psychic reading", I also speculated about the mother's sex life, and a potentially abusive relationship with a former boyfriend, claiming her toddler was concerned about "men who want to touch mum's privates", and I went on and on in this vein until the mother burst into tears, there in the living room, in front of her child, I'd expect to be arrested, sectioned, and beaten in the back of the van.

And if I allowed a TV crew to broadcast what I was doing, I'd expect to be attacked by a mob, who'd pull me apart and kick my remains around the street, pausing only to spit on any bits of my face that got stuck to their shoes.

But no. In fact the outcry would be muted at best and Ofcom would turn a blind eye - as it did last week, while clearing Channel 5's unbelievably disgusting Baby Mind Reader of any wrongdoing.

I've never fully understood the public's docile acceptance of psychics, or why, when it comes to their supposed abilities, the burden of proof is assumed to lie with the sceptic, as opposed to the sort of shrieking idiot who claims to be able to contact the spirit world (or in Derek Ogilvie's case, communicate telepathically with kids too young to talk).

I'm quite hardcore on this. I think every psychic and medium in this country belongs in prison. Even the ones demented enough to believe in what they're doing. In fact, especially them. Give them windowless cells and make them crap in buckets. They can spend the rest of their days sewing mailbags in the dark.

The audiences that psychics prey on are equally infuriating, albeit less deserving of contempt. They're just disappointing, like a friend who's let you down. Often, they're simply grieving and desperate.

I mean, if you want to believe in psychics, fine. You're a dangerous idiot and I wouldn't trust you to operate a spoon without putting an eye out ... but fine. Your choice. Delude yourself silly. Your world is probably more fun than the real one. There's no death, just an afterlife filled with magic spirits who like to communicate with eerie, ugly, otherwise-unemployable bottom-of-the-barrel "showmen" back on Earth.

But don't accuse anyone with the temerity to question your sad supernatural fantasies of having a "closed mind" or being "blind to possibilities". A closed mind asks no questions, unthinkingly accepting that which it wants to believe. The blindness is all yours.

(If you want to feel your eyes pop rudely open, swot up on the "cold reading" techniques fake psychics use - a combination of guesswork and sly conversational tics which give the impression that the "psychic" is magically receiving accurate information from the ether. A fantastic (albeit pricey) step-by-step guide is available from Ianrowland.com.

Anyway, back to my psychic prison fantasies. The problem with trying to jail all the mediums in Britain is they'd a) see it coming, and escape overseas to somewhere even more gullible, like Narnia, before you'd passed the legislation, or b) call on their ghostly friends in the spirit world to whisk them from harm's reach.

Except they couldn't because ghosts - unlike scumbags and conmen - don't exist. Pity. But that's the real world for you. Often disappointing. But real. At least it's always real.

This is what happens when you let Derren Brown rot your airwaves, it opens the floodgate to the other useless shitbags.

This is what happens when you let Derren Brown rot your airwaves, it opens the floodgate to the other useless shitbags.

Woah, woah, woaoooh. What? This is completely different? Unless this Derek guy says at the start of the programme, "During this programme I will use illusion, misdirection, tricks and lie." then it is not, my friend, the same.

Woah, woah, woaoooh. What? This is completely different? Unless this Derek guy says at the start of the programme, "During this programme I will use illusion, misdirection, tricks and lie." then it is not, my friend, the same.

Ghosts, magic, Dan's sex life. Its all an illusion Michael.

Derren Brown does exactly what the Dare of Dan posted above: He demonstrates how easy it is to fool people. He doesn't believe in telepathy, psychokinesis, ghosts, or the like. But many people just don't get that - they think he's for real. Which just kinda proves his point.

The dead should be honoured and allowed to rest in peace. Its no wonder when they are disturbed they lash out at foolish ningen.