NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

Which anti-virus is better?

I currently have AVG 8.5 free, but can get Sophos free from my uni. Shall I stick with AVG or change to Sophos?

Edited by MoogleViper

If your going to pay for antivirus I hear the best you can get is vipre. Minimal effect on system resources. http://www.vipreantivirus.com. Also Comodo is very good. http://antivirus.comodo.com/

Never heard of Sophomore Anti virus, if you mean Sophos then I'd go for it. Just grab as much free software as you can from your university as you only get a chance to steal it once.

Never heard of Sophomore Anti virus, if you mean Sophos then I'd go for it. Just grab as much free software as you can from your university as you only get a chance to steal it once.

Yeah I do sorry. I was reading about American universities at the same time.

Which one is better though, Sophos or AVG?

(And no I'm not going to pay for one.)

I would say go with Sophos as it is pay for software. If you don't like it you can always go back to AVG free.

Word of warning; changing an anti virus can cause soooo many problems. I changed to panda, it stopped my machine from booting. >_<

Changing it back took a few hours and a few handfuls less hair on my head :heh:

AVG free is fine, it does what you need it to right?

Sophos is an extremely high standard business-class anti-virus. You can't really get much better.

Although AVG Free should be more than enough for a home PC.

Risk it for a biscuit and remove them all. I haven't had an antivirus for upwards of a year now and have been absolutely fine. You just need to make sure you have a decent internet browser and don't download anything unless you know what it is.

It saves so much resources on your computer, it's really worthwhile if you have the slightest bit of knowledge about the internet.

Risk it for a biscuit and remove them all. I haven't had an antivirus for upwards of a year now and have been absolutely fine. You just need to make sure you have a decent internet browser and don't download anything unless you know what it is.

It saves so much resources on your computer, it's really worthwhile if you have the slightest bit of knowledge about the internet.

This what I do also, for a similar amount of time. But remember, you might not be as cool as Charlie and I so maybe can't pull it off.

I'm with Odwin and Charlie. The best virus protection is a bit of common sense, keeps you virus free without using any system resources....

I'm with Charlie, Odwin and Shorty. In my opinion, AV software is little more than placebo.

I just got rid of AVG last week as it was becomming a resource hog.

Gone with Avira after someone at work recommended it to me. It's awesome and the scanner is called "Luke Filewalker" so it won me over.

Avira seems a lot better than AVG if you are running Vista. I initially used AVG and it wasn't finding anything at all, but Avira gives me warnings quite frequently.

I'm with Shorty, Odwin and Charlie. I also don't use an antivirus on my desktop PC but I use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Then again I format about every 1.5 years.

Hate to sound like i'm hopping on a band-waggon here but no AV software for me either. Might try MS's new one though just to see if it's any good. I'll leave it until about a week before the W7 release.

Sign in to follow this