N-Europe

The Lethargic Gamers Show!

flameboy

http://lethargicgamers.wordpress.com/2009/09/02/lethargic-gamers-show-episode-1/

Is now live! Please excuse the lack of production values I am still new to this whole video thing and learning as I go both with software and with show content. Making a one man show is tricky, although think I’ve done ok so far with two shows that contain no game footage!

Any help and advice people from here can give me would be very much appreciated!!! Also if you on N4G please approve it!

http://www.n4g.com/NewsPending-388266.aspx

Dude...now I know that you didn't have any tools regarding the intro, but wtf man. I mean, what the hell was that? Was that just a way of wasting a minute of my life? It's just you throwing random video games/peripherals on top of each other, before panning out to a window of nothingness, followed by a still of the same window with a blinding amount of flash...I think giving yourself tools might be dangerous to mankind.

Dude...now I know that you didn't have any tools regarding the intro, but wtf man. I mean, what the hell was that? Was that just a way of wasting a minute of my life? It's just you throwing random video games/peripherals on top of each other, before panning out to a window of nothingness, followed by a still of the same window with a blinding amount of flash...I think giving yourself tools might be dangerous to mankind.

Thanks very much for the constructive feedback! Bit harsh I think... Like I said really didn't know what to do and it was just a hasty put together. I really didn't know what to do...if there is anyone with the relevant skills who can help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you should get rid of/change hugely the opening. I wasn't sure what was going on, and then got that it was meant to be one of those "speedy" things, like tossing stuff in a pile, but without the effects. :p

It was fine. But defo get rid of that. :)

I really like the idea of the show, and think it has some great potential. So I'll try and give some feedback.

1. As mentioned the intro isn't that great, but the main problem is that it takes too long. It shouldn't really be any longer than 20 seconds if that. It's only a 5 min show people don't want to spend most of that watching a intro. If you don't want to make another intro then try speeding that one up (maybe play it at 4x speed). It might work. Also try using a better font. Doesn't have to be amazing but plain white arial doesn't exactly make your show seem very exiting or professional.

2. I think it's a good idea to tell them the price of the regular game, collector's edition and savings, but holding up a piece of paper with some marker pen writing looks a bit rubbish. Try finding a better way to display the info, or just tell the viewer. It's not a lot of info, so it doesn't really need to be displayed.

3. People don't really want to watch you play pinball. I know that you were showing off the machine but it went on for too long and wasn't that interesting. Maybe whilst you are playing pinball you could talk about the machine or Arkham Asylum or other ways to spend the money or something. Just something for the viewer to listen to so they don't get bored.

4. I thought the best buy on there was the megadrive/game, and you spent the least amount of time talking about it. You also didn't even show the actual game. I also think that the show would be better with more purchases like this. Car boot/ebay bargains of retro games that are still enjoyable today.

5. Not a criticism more of an idea, but perhaps one of the buys could be something along the same theme as the game. So for that episode it could be a batman item. Then you could also prove that you can get a better Batman item than featured in the collector's edition for less than £20.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MoogleViper

I really like the idea of the show, and think it has some great potential. So I'll try and give some feedback.

1. As mentioned the intro isn't that great, but the main problem is that it takes too long. It shouldn't really be any longer than 20 seconds if that. It's only a 5 min show people don't want to spend most of that watching a intro. If you don't want to make another intro then try speeding that one up (maybe play it at 4x speed). It might work. Also try using a better font. Doesn't have to be amazing but plain white arial doesn't exactly make your show seem very exiting or professional.

2. I think it's a good idea to tell them the price of the regular game, collector's edition and savings, but holding up a piece of paper with some marker pen writing looks a bit rubbish. Try finding a better way to display the info, or just tell the viewer. It's not a lot of info, so it doesn't really need to be displayed.

3. People don't really want to watch you play pinball. I know that you were showing off the machine but it went on for too long and wasn't that interesting. Maybe whilst you are playing pinball you could talk about the machine or Arkham Asylum or other ways to spend the money or something. Just something for the viewer to listen to so they don't get bored.

What are you on about?! Those bits were hysterical!

The use of paper was excellent.

See I actually changed the bit with the paper, was originally voiceover with the text appearing properly on screen but then I decided to go for the tacky paper effect...

Do I get to "star" in this next month? :D

Yes but the production values will be much better by then with any luck!

Yeah, you should get rid of/change hugely the opening. I wasn't sure what was going on, and then got that it was meant to be one of those "speedy" things, like tossing stuff in a pile, but without the effects. :p

It was fine. But defo get rid of that. :)

Yes that was what I kinda planned.

4. I thought the best buy on there was the megadrive/game, and you spent the least amount of time talking about it. You also didn't even show the actual game. I also think that the show would be better with more purchases like this. Car boot/ebay bargains of retro games that are still enjoyable today.

5. Not a criticism more of an idea, but perhaps one of the buys could be something along the same theme as the game. So for that episode it could be a batman item. Then you could also prove that you can get a better Batman item than featured in the collector's edition for less than £20.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all those ideas are great...I know it was a pretty poor effort, I think episode 2 might well be a retro carboot round up.. I nearly left out the extended pinball section. Also the sensible soccer section was kinda a fail, had two cameras one recording the game one recording me, the battery ran out on the one recording sensible soccer and I got so fucked off I couldn't be bothered to re-record it!

I know the intro section needs work it literally took as long as it is to put together. Ideally I'd love an animated one with a cool logo and some retro footage etc..

Oh didn't quote it but who commented on my singing?!!!! Daft lol! Glad you enjoyed that cheeky out take...

Maybe one day when I am better at this lark I will do a Episode 1 Redux.

You could actually do the video at a car boot sale. Might make it more interesting.

I assume you're not local, otherwise I'd offer to help. I've been hankering after a creative project for a while now. Although I fear it would go the same way as GamingCorner (ie, me being to lazy to do anything regularly).

You could actually do the video at a car boot sale. Might make it more interesting.

I assume you're not local, otherwise I'd offer to help. I've been hankering after a creative project for a while now. Although I fear it would go the same way as GamingCorner (ie, me being to lazy to do anything regularly).

I'm up in Yorkshire! If in anyway you could help with the intro...I mean the intro doesn't have to be filmed/created by me,so any fresh ideas you may have would be gladly recieved...

Well thanks for all the feedback. I am going back to the drawing board with many aspects of the show changing being altered... I'm going to a car boot 2mrw and plan on filming if I can and then working that into a future. I am massively reworking the intro film and if anyone out there can help with a logo for the show that could be used I will be so happy!!!

Anyway you will be glad to hear some of you have featured in a new feature on the site;

http://wp.me/prELS-3A

EDIT;

REZ you can have a slot! we need to talk!