NEurope
Tellyn

Disney Buying Marvel For $4 Billion

Didn't see this coming.

The Walt Disney Co. says it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the Disney family.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters.

Disney said Monday that Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own.

It said the boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the transaction, but it requires an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hpSHllNjlQeBmsxGJTXeoJMg5YuwD9ADSNBO0

Kinda suprising but it rings a bell of familiarity to it....hmmm.

I'm fucking screaming and spinning in my desk chair.

What's going to happen to Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando?! There's a Marvel Island, and that park is a rival to Disneyworld?!

I'd rather die than see the Marvel island closed down.

What's going to happen to Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando?! There's a Marvel Island, and that park is a rival to Disneyworld?!

0_o calm down.

I don't think this is Disney's power grab. I presume things will be mostly the same but Disney just saw it as a chance to get more money in their back pockets.

If anything Disney could help Marvel breath some new life into their themeparks. They do run the most well known theme park brand in the world afterall.

I can't see Spider-Man walking alongside Goofy in Disneyland and nor visa versa. I'd imagine they shall continue to be two seperate identities within the same parent company.

Don't worry, I wasn't that upset.

You're most likely right.

"screaming and spinning in your chair"? Sounds like The Exorcist :heh:

That's really... odd and cool. I wouldn't imagine much would change. Probably keep things pretty separate for the most part. But I can imagine some cool cross overs of IP and talent from both sides.

Imagine if Pixar got Disney to let them have a go on some Marvel IP.

You're right: it'd suck.

As long as nothing is really messed about with then im not too bothered......please dont mess about with my Marvel stuff!

I don't really think much is going to change, not like we'll see Mickey show up in the next issue of The Amazing Spider-Man. Disney are behind lots of strange things you'd never pin them to normally, like Pure and Turok.

I can imagine this being referenced in something like Deadpool though. :p

As long as it doesn't affect Kingdom Hearts, I'm dealing with it well.

It won't. It will remain shit.

Sits; terrified of hordes of angry KH maniacs

I don't really think much is going to change, not like we'll see Mickey show up in the next issue of The Amazing Spider-Man. Disney are behind lots of strange things you'd never pin them to normally, like Pure and Turok.

Well Obama has already shown up (speaking of Disney and Obama...) so anything is possible :heh:

Besides, many of Tarantino's films are part-owned by Disney so its not like everything they do is cute and fluffy. They're a smart business really, fingers in many pies and all that.

If anything Disney could help Marvel breath some new life into their themeparks. They do run the most well known theme park brand in the world afterall.

Breath new life into arguably the best theme park in the world? o____0

Anyway, thats boo news. It better not change shit. Also Boom Studios print Disney comics soo....I wonder if it'll change that.

It won't. It will remain shit.

Sits; terrified of hordes of angry KH maniacs

Hahahahaha, you're funny!

*draws dagger* :angry:

it's likey nothing will become of this.. still wonder what's in it for marvel?.. maybe more movie resources or something.

As long as nothing changes and disney don't go gaying up Marvel, well, then it's all cool.

As long as nothing changes and disney don't go gaying up Marvel, well, then it's all cool.

I'd like to think it would mean less fuck up films from marvel. Marvel make one good film then 1 terrible one..

I'm not sure how much involvement marvel have in these films. I heard that the films would get better starting with the incredible hulk because they had more involvement and then wolverine came along.....sigh.

and captain america is gayer than any disney character :D

I'd like to think it would mean less fuck up films from marvel. Marvel make one good film then 1 terrible one..

I'm not sure how much involvement marvel have in these films. I heard that the films would get better starting with the incredible hulk because they had more involvement and then wolverine came along.....sigh.

and captain america is gayer than any disney character :D

They only hold the license for certain characters. Ie not Spidey, FF, X-Men etc.

Also fu on the Captain America comment. :(

Hopefully nothing changes in the next few weeks, I fly out to Orlando in 12 days..

The Marvel part of Islands of Adventure is one of the best parts of the entire park. I truly hope this doesn't mean it will have to be redesigned - Universal would really not be happy.

And Ramar - I doubt they'll change anything at all that quickly, especially as the summer is the busiest time of the year for the parks. They'd lose loads of cash if they closed a part of the park!