N-Europe

Job or College?

Goafer

Boy, if I could go back, at 18 I would have jumped into an apprenticiship etc THEN get qualifications. 18-25 is a crucial time in that if you don't really know what you're doing or have a profession in that age range, you'll probably end up with no idea.

The messed up thing is the jump from 2nd year college to university is such a small one it often makes people rush into careers they don't have any passion for, turning them into failing students at uni or unenthusiatic potatoes at work just doing a generic 9-5 mon-fri grind for the rest of their working lives.

Before stepping into uni... Check and see things career wise that grabs your interest, make money, settle down then look at stepping up the levels with qualifications. Believe me, it ain't nice being in your early 20s at basically the same level you were when you were like 17.

Believe me, it ain't nice being in your early 20s at basically the same level you were when you were like 17.

Oh I know all too well, I'm 23.

The RAF thing is pretty tempting. Although I assume I'd have to move away? And the qualification you get from that is only one level above what I already have (I have NVQ level 2). It does look massively interesting though.

I'd do the college course and try to pick up as many unpaid (or paid if you get lucky) work experience positions as possible while you're doing it. This way you finish college with both the qualification and the experience to get into a half decent job when you finish.

The qualification will open a lot of doors for you, the experience will put you top of the shortlist compared to others who have simply gained the qualification while not doing much else.

The RAF thing is pretty tempting. Although I assume I'd have to move away? And the qualification you get from that is only one level above what I already have (I have NVQ level 2). It does look massively interesting though.

But you get paid for it and will give you some valuable work experience. It will also look good on your CV and give you something to put into your portfolio.

Oh I know all too well, I'm 23.

Can happen but not always. You can be based in one place, stay there and be "shipped out" to wars or whatever when needed. My father was in the RAF. We lived in Elgin, and he worked in Lossiemouth on a day to day basis. He was shipped out to the Falklands for 10 months. We all were moved on a longer term basis to Germany (3 years) back to Scotland (6 years), then over to Northern Ireland.

Also you have to have very good (read: perfect) health to join the RAF. Even slight complaints can disqualify you.

Something I would have loved to have done myself, but unfortunately I've got a list of medical complaints. :mad:

Balls again. I'm a speccy git.

Plus my hyafever varies from year to year. At best it's barely noticable, at worst it's like a bad cold for a month or so, then it gets better (just the occasional sneezing etc).

Balls again. I'm a speccy git.

Plus my hyafever varies from year to year. At best it's barely noticable, at worst it's like a bad cold for a month or so, then it gets better (just the occasional sneezing etc).

If its a pilot you want to be thats a definite no. They are VERY tight on the medical for the pilots (training a pilot costs an unbelivable amount of money)

Other jobs im not so sure on. They put you through a medical and fitness testing n stuffs. For example - My boss has a history of collapsed lungs (more common than you would think, can just randomly happen to anybody), so he absolutely couldnt join. Colourblindness can be a big issue for certain jobs.

I have a severe skin condition, arthritis, and horrendous sight...so I can say im pretty much a no :heh:

Depends for £900 I reckon you could get some pretty good equipment to set you up right?

Qualifications are very nice if you have them but in something like photography a portfolio is important. Spend the money buying equipment to help make a really good portfolio then approach a photgrapher to try and get further training. Then you can earn as you get experience and it shows to your employer you have business as well as photographic skills.

If the college is near you could always use things like library anyway no one notices or cares. I still use my uni library and its been a few years since I graduated! Just take photos of the books instead of taking them home :D