NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Final Fantasy XIV

Development Staff

Producer: Hiromichi Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY I, II, III, XI)

Director: Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, XI)

Art Director: Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story®, FINAL FANTASY XII)

Music: Nobuo Uematsu of SMILE PLEASE (FINAL FANTASY series)

info.jpg

256a93p.jpg

eupizq.jpg

23lzii9.jpg

2r26fs6.jpg

ffxiv-im.jpg

Check out the website for artwork, music, vid etc.

Wow, this does look really nice. You have to laugh at this, though; I know some people playing FFXI who have literally devoted their lives to it, and this is surely going to eventually replace it. Major lols.

It definitely sounds quite good and SE's support for FFXI is really good. its still active. Most MMORPG fizzle out after a year or two. But personally i am going to be casual.

I look forward to the beta as they have some good people on this. For PS3 Free Realms will be the first MMO to hit the west this year but this could be the first serious one next year.

Well I hate MMOs, FFXIV is definitely not going to change that.

Like Choze said, SquEx's support of XI is admirable.

Also, the game isn't exclusive. It's also on PC and might still come out for the 360 and Wii. (lol, just kidding about the Wii)

I wouldn't of thought it would work on the 360, no other MMO has even been released on it, including Microsoft's efforts with the Marvel game.

I wouldn't of thought it would work on the 360, no other MMO has even been released on it, including Microsoft's efforts with the Marvel game.

Except for Final Fantasy XI. ;)

It's a PS3 "console exclusive", i.e. no Xbox 360/Wii.

I imagine they'll use the same tech as DC Universe Online, where PS3 gamers can play simultaneously with PC gamers on the same server.

Oh yeah! An exception :) I remember hearing you had to jump through hoops to get it working though.

It could do, though FFXI is a last gen MMORPG. Its less demanding all round. FFXIV is likely not a paid exclusive and more to do with the fact Wii and 360 dont cater well to MMORPG at all.

Another update: This game is going to use the latest tech and software requirements for pc. So yeah file size wise this going to be one of the biggest MMORPG.

I want a RPG that betters FFX, not a MMO.

Why are you standards set so low? :(

I more or less get the feeling that SE keeps FFXI going for their own self-image since it is a numbered Final Fantasy game. But, perhaps more so, the fact they are charging £8.99 for each person means it's the game that keeps on lining their pockets with cash. Either way, it's a bit of a tediously shit game, and believe me when I say I've tried it.

Is this out for PC too? If so the title is misleading.

tis, yes. Title edited.

XI was really good, but there were a few things that bothered me. Its expensive, its got a nasty learning curve, you sometimes had to play for hours or even DAYS to level up. Some servers are basically all japanese, etc etc etc. If they sort out these problems, I'm game.

Suprised the hell out of me when I saw this in the Sony conference.... A nice surprise ofcourse.

Just please SE, make this solo friendly, thats the one thing I hated about FFXI (Yes, I know its a MMO, but having to group up to level all the time is a pain, and with the death penatly, you had to be in a capable group too or you just lost a couple of hours of experiance)

But yes, I am looking forward to it very much <3

Suprised the hell out of me when I saw this in the Sony conference.... A nice surprise ofcourse.

Just please SE, make this solo friendly, thats the one thing I hated about FFXI (Yes, I know its a MMO, but having to group up to level all the time is a pain, and with the death penatly, you had to be in a capable group too or you just lost a couple of hours of experiance)

Hear, hear! Most of your time in FFXI was spent not in parties, but waiting for parties. As the game gets slightly less popular over time, it only got harder to party up. As I recall, only Beastmasters were good at soloing, but then as characters themselves they weren't that great.

The combat system was good for an MMORPG, though. I get the feeling that they'll introduce measures to make partying easier, but keep the focus on partying. To be honest, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, as there should be a sense of community.

But yes, I am looking forward to it very much <3

It does sound too good to be true, saying 2010. XIII isn't even out yet! We should all start together when it hits...it should be a riot. :)

What platforms is Final Fantasy 14 coming to?

Currently the game is confirmed for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC. An Xbox 360 version isn't official, but Square Enix is considering the possibility that it could.

What do we know about the setting and the story?

It takes place on an all-new Final Fantasy world known as "Eorzea." Though it does share some monsters and races from Final Fantasy XI, they're not direct representations and have been altered in multiple ways that make them unique to Eorzea. The similarities in races will allow experienced Final Fantasy XI players to create a new Final Fantasy 14 character that looks somewhat comparable.

What is the combat system like?

The development team won't say, but it did confirm to us that... Additionally, the heavy team-play aspect of FF11 has been deemphasized, and now exploration and battle is said to be more balanced between solo and team play.

How does the leveling system work?

Square Enix is cagey about how characters advance, but it has confirmed with IGN that growth is not based on experience and that it will work on a different system entirely.

What about jobs?

Jobs will return in Final Fantasy 14, but they will be much different than the job system present in Final Fantasy XI.

How important are the weapons?

Weapons are very important and have a heavy influence on your character and how they succeed in the game world. Square Enix says to look closely at the official Final Fantasy 14 logo for hints and hidden meanings about how the game will work.

What hidden meanings?

Square Enix told us that when it approached Amano to do the logo art for Final Fantasy 14, that weapons were very important and to think of the concept of a "wheel." Specifically, a wheel of adventurers that has their weapon in front of them and an exposed backside -- which leaves each adventurer to rely heavily on their comrades and their friends. Let the speculation begin.

Anything else about the weapons?

The team let slip to us that choosing weapons for specific tasks one day versus another could affect how your character develops.

How much of the first trailer is in-game versus pre-rendered?

The debut trailer is actually a mixture of real-time in-game footage and pre-rendered wizardry. The combat scene in particular was created using the in-game engine.

What languages will the game available in?

The same as Final Fantasy XI: Japanese, English, French and German. Final Fantasy 14 will also be released simultaneously in all regions that use those languages.

Will the PlayOnline service be used for Final Fantasy 14?

No. Square Enix told us that the reason it is ditching the PlayOnline system is because it was originally meant as an all-in-one solution to house multiple content types. But as PlayOnline has offered less content over the years, the need for the next online Final Fantasy to us PO is moot. Whatever new service (if any) is used, PC and PlayStation 3 users will still be able to play with each other on the same servers, and Square Enix also confirmed with IGN that you can sign in with a universal ID on either system to pick up where you left off if you own both.

Who's Working on the Game?

It is produced by Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy I, II, III, and IX) and directed by Nobuaki Komoto (Final Fantasy IX, XI), with art direction by Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII) and a musical score from Nobuo Uematsu (Most Final Fantasies ever). Yoaka Amano has designed the logo and is pulling additional art duties as well.

Uematsu only did a few tracks in Final Fantasy XI, how much is he doing for XIV?

Square Enix revealed to IGN that Uematsu will be doing all the music for Final Fantasy 14 and that it will be composed in a range of different styles and genres.

What modern day MMOs have influenced the design and direction of Final Fantasy 14?

In addition to the team's original work on Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online have been three recent games that have had some pull, but the Final Fantasy XI community's feedback has been the most important factor in its design.

Are Chocobos back?

Yes, they will return. But Square Enix has told IGN that it is looking at using them in a completely different way than they were used in Final Fantasy XI (where they were used as riding steeds).

When is it coming out and when is the beta?

The game will come out in 2010, and after Final Fantasy XIII which is scheduled for spring of the same year. Beta plans are still being finalized, but that the plan is to have a longer beta period than that of Final Fantasy XI (which had a beta of about 3-4 months).

Edited by ffussr

What platforms is Final Fantasy 14 coming to?

Currently the game is confirmed for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC. An Xbox 360 version isn't official, but Square Enix is considering the possibility that it could.

What do we know about the setting and the story?

It takes place on an all-new Final Fantasy world known as "Eorzea." Though it does share some monsters and races from Final Fantasy XI, they're not direct representations and have been altered in multiple ways that make them unique to Eorzea. The similarities in races will allow experienced Final Fantasy XI players to create a new Final Fantasy 14 character that looks somewhat comparable.

What is the combat system like?

The development team won't say, but it did confirm to us that... Additionally, the heavy team-play aspect of FF11 has been deemphasized, and now exploration and battle is said to be more balanced between solo and team play.

How does the leveling system work?

Square Enix is cagey about how characters advance, but it has confirmed with IGN that growth is not based on experience and that it will work on a different system entirely.

What about jobs?

Jobs will return in Final Fantasy 14, but they will be much different than the job system present in Final Fantasy XI.

How important are the weapons?

Weapons are very important and have a heavy influence on your character and how they succeed in the game world. Square Enix says to look closely at the official Final Fantasy 14 logo for hints and hidden meanings about how the game will work.

What hidden meanings?

Square Enix told us that when it approached Amano to do the logo art for Final Fantasy 14, that weapons were very important and to think of the concept of a "wheel." Specifically, a wheel of adventurers that has their weapon in front of them and an exposed backside -- which leaves each adventurer to rely heavily on their comrades and their friends. Let the speculation begin.

Anything else about the weapons?

The team let slip to us that choosing weapons for specific tasks one day versus another could affect how your character develops.

How much of the first trailer is in-game versus pre-rendered?

The debut trailer is actually a mixture of real-time in-game footage and pre-rendered wizardry. The combat scene in particular was created using the in-game engine.

What languages will the game available in?

The same as Final Fantasy XI: Japanese, English, French and German. Final Fantasy 14 will also be released simultaneously in all regions that use those languages.

Will the PlayOnline service be used for Final Fantasy 14?

No. Square Enix told us that the reason it is ditching the PlayOnline system is because it was originally meant as an all-in-one solution to house multiple content types. But as PlayOnline has offered less content over the years, the need for the next online Final Fantasy to us PO is moot. Whatever new service (if any) is used, PC and PlayStation 3 users will still be able to play with each other on the same servers, and Square Enix also confirmed with IGN that you can sign in with a universal ID on either system to pick up where you left off if you own both.

Who's Working on the Game?

It is produced by Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy I, II, III, and IX) and directed by Nobuaki Komoto (Final Fantasy IX, XI), with art direction by Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII) and a musical score from Nobuo Uematsu (Most Final Fantasies ever). Yoaka Amano has designed the logo and is pulling additional art duties as well.

Uematsu only did a few tracks in Final Fantasy XI, how much is he doing for XIV?

Square Enix revealed to IGN that Uematsu will be doing all the music for Final Fantasy 14 and that it will be composed in a range of different styles and genres.

What modern day MMOs have influenced the design and direction of Final Fantasy 14?

In addition to the team's original work on Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online have been three recent games that have had some pull, but the Final Fantasy XI community's feedback has been the most important factor in its design.

Are Chocobos back?

Yes, they will return. But Square Enix has told IGN that it is looking at using them in a completely different way than they were used in Final Fantasy XI (where they were used as riding steeds).

When is it coming out and when is the beta?

The game will come out in 2010, and after Final Fantasy XIII which is scheduled for spring of the same year. Beta plans are still being finalized, but that the plan is to have a longer beta period than that of Final Fantasy XI (which had a beta of about 3-4 months).

Wheres that from?!

Sounds really interesting. The recent pc mmo havent done well so hopefully this does.

Freerealms is an exception though thats different.

I don't do the whole paying to play online thing but if that wasn't a factor this would have perked my interest. Especially after that INSANE trailer with the mahuuusive sea monster.

I wasted a year addicted to FFXI, my brother was worse. I had 3 level 75's he had 15! His character had everything you could imagine, Kraken Club, Matts hatt AF+1 gear, access to all areas etc etc

Must not play this game, ever.

And Phantasy Star Universe.

Sounds really interesting. The recent pc mmo havent done well so hopefully this does.

Freerealms is an exception though thats different.

Been meaning to try freerealms its coming to PS3 at some point isn't it?!

Sign in to follow this