Metroid: Other M

Who would win in a fight?

Boba Fett or Samus Aran?

Jango Fett?

Spike Spiegel?

Vash the Stampede?

Captain Falcon?

Edited by FalcoLombardi

One good way of getting into a game/book/movie is understanding the character/s...

Metroid? Getting into a book? With the overwhelming amount of in-game information about Metroid's characters and its universe up to Other M, this is has been more like writing your own book, hasn't it? ;)

This is what scares me most about Link*. And what they're going to do to him. *his next incarnation.

If it relieves you: They probably can't destroy the character as badly as you and LostOverThere would have them. So far Nintendo have successfully refrained from presenting us with a totally generic deep-voiced badass slayer type of character and luckily I cannot imagine them breaking that habit. :p

Edited by Burny

Metroid? Getting into a book? With the overwhelming amount of in-game information about Metroid's characters and its universe up to Other M, this is has been more like writing your own book, hasn't it? ;)

I assume you don't consider the comics to be a book. EITHER WAY! Sounds like a plan. You write the book. I'll make corrective changes.

If it relieves you: They probably can't destroy the character as badly as you and LostOverThere would have them

I'm showing the worst case scenario. Based on what Lostmon mentioned. Don't say we didn't warn you.

So far Nintendo have successfully refrained from presenting us with a totally generic deep-voiced badass slayer type of character and luckily I cannot imagine them breaking that habit. :p

Pious from Eternal Darkness could fit that criteria when Nintendo published it. But that depends on what you consider a Nintendo game.

Either way, if Link does end up like that. You won't be surprised because we've covered it. You're welcome. If Link doesn't end up like that, then you'll be happy it isn't as bad as what Lostmon and I brought up. You're welcome again.

Must be your lucky day.

I don't know why, but after completing it I have been drawn back for a second play through - and damn I'm loving it. For some reason I'm just having a ton more fun than I did with it the first time.

After this play through I'm writing a full review with all my thoughts.

@LostOverThere:

Didn't mean any offense there, no matter how you meant that. The notion of the elven youngling we know as Link in combination

and is rather a fun one. ;)

I assume you don't consider the comics to be a book. EITHER WAY! Sounds like a plan. You write the book. I'll make corrective changes.

By "comics" you hopefully mean the manga and not this. No, they're neither books nor in-game. ;)

Anyway, I'd fail miserably at writing a Metroid book. Probably wouldn't even manage to explain convincingly why the IKEA of the future only sells doors, that have to be opened by heavy firearms. Seems a tad bit unpractical to me. :p

Should I ever write a book though, you're welcome to correct my spelling. If you just want to mess with characters, you'll have to write you own one, I'm afraid.

By "comics" you hopefully mean the manga and not this. No, they're neither books nor in-game. ;)

This is weird, because on the Samus page on Wiki it clearly states: "Samus was featured in a series of comic books called Captain N: The Game Master, published by Valiant Comics in 1990. In the comics, Samus is depicted as brash, money-hungry, and fiercely independent." But it links the page you did. Which assumes a comic was based on the series/vice versa. In which yes it was in a book.

Anyway, I'd fail miserably at writing a Metroid book. Probably wouldn't even manage to explain convincingly why the IKEA of the future only sells doors, that have to be opened by heavy firearms. Seems a tad bit unpractical to me. :p

Don't talk to me about these doors. As you said, ask Sakamoto & co. see where their logic lies. Should help you concoct something plausible.

@LostOverThere:

Didn't mean any offense there, no matter how you meant that. The notion of the elven youngling we know as Link in combination with a sandpaper voice and is rather a fun one.

No problem. :)

I don't know why, but after completing it I have been drawn back for a second play through - and damn I'm loving it. For some reason I'm just having a ton more fun than I did with it the first time.

I'm sort of inclined to do this as well. Especially now that I know what to expect.

I think that if you treat this as a 2D game and play as you'd normally play a 2D game then it's much more enjoyable. If you play as though you would a normal 3D game then the D-pad controls hamper the experience somewhat.

Even when you're in the open environments, if you treat it as though it was still 2D (if you understand what I mean) then it's great!

This is weird, because on the Samus page on Wiki it clearly states: "Samus was featured in a series of comic books called Captain N: The Game Master, published by Valiant Comics in 1990. In the comics, Samus is depicted as brash, money-hungry, and fiercely independent." But it links the page you did. Which assumes a comic was based on the series/vice versa.

Have you bothered reading the description of those particular comics when you cited them? They seem to have as much relevance for the Metroid universe, as Smash Brothers Brawl has for the Sonic Franchise. This has however (a bit at least), and what did fans at that time get? I distinctly remember reading the words "protector of the galaxy" within the first couple of pages. Maybe she's throwing regular house parties after all? ;)

Have you bothered to read up a bit on the mangas as well (those aren't books to me any more than comics are)?These actually have relevance to the Metroid universe beyond the games' "stories" and due to that, more likely than not, saw involvement of Sakamoto.

That's about as much reading up on Samus, as I care to do. From what I have learned, I don't see where Other M changed anything in anyone's face. I've also learned that Nintendo published rather silly comics at the time... :)

Should really take the time to watch Other M's cinematics in a row. Maybe I'll even replay the game after I've finished Super Metroid.

Edited by Burny

I think that if you treat this as a 2D game and play as you'd normally play a 2D game then it's much more enjoyable. If you play as though you would a normal 3D game then the D-pad controls hamper the experience somewhat.

Even when you're in the open environments, if you treat it as though it was still 2D (if you understand what I mean) then it's great!

Totally spot on. At first I was playing this as a 3D game with the d-pad, doesn't work. But once you realise who it's actually meant top be played - ie push the one of the 4 directions on the d-pad that is clearly the most relevent and you will run down the corridor and the camera pans with you and you move around the corridor without havig to move your finger off the button.

The more I play it the more ingenious it is. I'm ashamed to say that at first I just didn't get it. Once it all clicks, well it's great.

Have you bothered reading the description of those particular comics when you cited them? They seem to have as much relevance for the Metroid universe, as Smash Brothers Brawl has for the Sonic Franchise.

Nope, I went hardcore research and just skimmed over the description of Samus as mentioend earlier. Relevance/canon or otherwise, what I'm saying is that they have represented Samus in a different way.

I've also learned that Nintendo published rather silly comics at the time... :)

Had a quick glance at the ending and got to agree. I'm loving the quotes from Samus:

"Creatures who live in glass bottles shouldn't play with lasers!"

"Mother Brain is going to pay for this... IN SPADES!"

The last one would perfect for Arnie if Samus actually used a spade.

Also on sale in GameStation for £19.99 I think it was, was still on when I was in on Saturday.

Picked it up last week, but alas, it's a Christmas present from my folks.

For that price, it's a real good buy. It was a good buy anyway, but that just sweetens the deal. Still not bothered with Hard Mode yet...

For that price, it's a real good buy. It was a good buy anyway, but that just sweetens the deal. Still not bothered with Hard Mode yet...

I've finished this three times in total, once on normal and twice on hard mode and absolutely love it.

I'd actually say that I prefer it on hard mode too, the challenge it provides is great and I loved it!

I've finished this three times in total, once on normal and twice on hard mode and absolutely love it.

I'd actually say that I prefer it on hard mode too, the challenge it provides is great and I loved it!

From what I understand though, don't you have to effectively play perfectly because you are so weak? Won't all the bosses kill you in one hit?

From what I understand though, don't you have to effectively play perfectly because you are so weak? Won't all the bosses kill you in one hit?

A few of them do, yes. It gets intense... it's great!!!