NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

Well I've started this finally and love It! I think it's the perfect mix of 2D and 3D metroid games! Sure some Of the scanning is a pain at times but really doesn't happen that often!

Fantastic game, utterly misunderstood. I was lucky and picked it up for a tenner recently off Amazon, but I think it's gone up now. No problems at all with the controls. It's a very clever approach if you ask me. And there are some absolutely outstanding graphics and settings.

A marvellous addition to the series.

The last two posts of love in this thread make me feel proud.

I'm supremely tempted to play this through again.

I've seen a lot of negativity regarding the music in this game, which basically comes down to Prime's music being way more memorable and that the tunes in Other M are nothing in comparison.

Now, could someone tell me something about Other M's music?

Tell you something about it?

Well, it was composed by Kuniaki Haishima, who had never worked on a videogame before and therefore had no previous involvement with the franchise.

Part of the problem with the soundtrack is it takes a backseat, the music is barely audible in most areas. It's rarely "impressive" even when it is audible but that the very fact it's almost always downplayed shows that they weirdly werent putting as much focus on a good soundtrack as they could've been.

On that note though the music is always fairly decent in cutscenes and the like and it tends to do the job well enough in boss battles (for example, there's the obligatory remix of Ridley's theme), but yeah, the main problem is the background music for general gameplay. It's both too low in volume and too basic, there clearly just wasnt the same level of focus on having something "listenable" in the background this time, it's just there to set some barebones atmosphere and that's basically it.

I'm not sure if this was a directional choice from Sakamoto or simply due to the composer's style, but either way I dont approve.

Your post makes me sad, but, after all, I'll just have to hear for myself.

Still, if the background music is lazily snoring in the background then it probably doesn't hold the epicness from the Prime Trilogy.

Hmm, I don't agree with that entirely. I found the music to be quite atmospheric, and I did feel tense through the majority of the game. There may not have been "signature" music, such as the music for Phendrana Drifts in Prime, but what was there was pretty good, imo.

It really is down to preference. I'd advise you to play the game for yourself Fused, because Other M has divided many a fan.

Hmm, I don't agree with that entirely. I found the music to be quite atmospheric, and I did feel tense through the majority of the game. There may not have been "signature" music, such as the music for Phendrana Drifts in Prime, but what was there was pretty good, imo.

It really is down to preference. I'd advise you to play the game for yourself Fused, because Other M has divided many a fan.

Oh I will FierceLink, once I finish Super Metroid.

Currently 4 hours in, enjoying myself but I get stuck from time to time:yay:

(I do get the term MetroidVania now :laughing:)

Ever since I started the Prime Trilogy I've really become a fan of the Metroid Universe and it's story.

I think it's one of those series of NINTENDO that could really benefit from HD/3D.

Have you played Fusion? I would recommend playing Fusion after Other M, since that's where it's meant to appear in the order of things.

I really want Zero Mission, and also I want to play Metroid II on the GameBoy, as I never played it.

Have you played Fusion? I would recommend playing Fusion after Other M, since that's where it's meant to appear in the order of things.

I really want Zero Mission, and also I want to play Metroid II on the GameBoy, as I never played it.

I actually found Zero Mission to me more enjoyable than Metroid Fusion so you could be in for a treat when you track it down :hehe:

I actually found Zero Mission to me more enjoyable than Metroid Fusion so you could be in for a treat when you track it down :hehe:

I want to track it down, but...two things:

1. It's fucking expensive. I want to get the box as well. I don't have the box for Fusion. :shakehead

2. I'm hoping that on the 3DS, we'll be able to download GBA games.

...you never know. ::shrug:

I want to track it down, but...two things:

1. It's fucking expensive. I want to get the box as well. I don't have the box for Fusion. :shakehead

2. I'm hoping that on the 3DS, we'll be able to download GBA games.

...you never know. ::shrug:

I actually don't have a box for mine, either.. I got it for £1.99 a few years ago at a toy store, thrown in the bargain bin :hehe:

I imagine we will eventually be able to get GBA games on the 3DS and I hope that is the case as there are a few I wouldn't mind picking up! Until then, however, I'd be perfectly willing to send you out my Metroid: Zero Mission for you to borrow for a while if you fancy it :smile: You could then send it back when you finish it :heh:

I agree with James in that the music in this game is very, very low. People bitch and whine that it has "no" music, there is, it's just hard to hear at times.

After beating the game for the first time, I decided to check out the sound track. I was pretty amazed. I'm sure most of us have heard the Ridley theme (which is no doubt the best version), but there are so many cool compositions that aren't just ambient pieces.

That's not to say the ambient pieces are boring. They are great and really add a lot to the experience, whether it be to make you tense or to make the blood pumping.

I was going to post some of my favourites, but for the sake of spoilers decided against it.

BUT CHECK THIS OUT...

I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Staff Roll. I thought (still do) it was the best piece of music from a Metroid game ever, despite it being very "un-metroidy"

Then I came across a post on the Metroid Database that linked these two pieces of music from an old American sci-fi show called "SeaQuest"

Listen to them. It's no doubt the exact same thing, note for note at places, only the Metroid version is pieced together differently. I can only assume that Nintendo bought the rights to the composition, which is pretty weird.

Prime's techno sound track is okay.. it didn't really blow me away on my first play through and I don't really remember THAT much of it. However, the Crashed Frigate piece is incredible.

Edited by or else you will DIE

I actually don't have a box for mine, either.. I got it for £1.99 a few years ago at a toy store, thrown in the bargain bin :hehe:

I imagine we will eventually be able to get GBA games on the 3DS and I hope that is the case as there are a few I wouldn't mind picking up! Until then, however, I'd be perfectly willing to send you out my Metroid: Zero Mission for you to borrow for a while if you fancy it :smile: You could then send it back when you finish it :heh:

That is very kind of you. However, I will decline, because I'd be too afraid of losing it, or being slow at sending it back and stuff. Also, when I play it, I kinda want it to be my own copy. I have a thing about seeing my own progress on the save file.

Thank you, though. That's an awesome thing to do. :)

OR ELSE: That's amazing. Haha, I used to watch Seaquest DSV or whatever it was called as a kid. I loved it.

That is very kind of you. However, I will decline, because I'd be too afraid of losing it, or being slow at sending it back and stuff. Also, when I play it, I kinda want it to be my own copy. I have a thing about seeing my own progress on the save file.

Thank you, though. That's an awesome thing to do. :)

OR ELSE: That's amazing. Haha, I used to watch Seaquest DSV or whatever it was called as a kid. I loved it.

No problem.. I'm pretty much the same! I never enjoy a game as much if it's someone else's copy as I know that all the effort isn't going into something that I'm gonna be able to keep..

As for the music in Metroid games, I was trying to remember some tunes from Other M there but nothing really springs to mind even though I played it very recently ::shrug: I can, however, still remember plenty of great tunes from the other games so maybe the music in Other M is less memorable after all..

After beating the game for the first time, I decided to check out the sound track. I was pretty amazed.

That you could actually hear them for a change?

The only ch00n I remember from Other M is the "briefing" music you get each time before starting. I have that on my desktop, you should try playing it alongside another track. It goes surprisingly well if you get the volumes just right.

[For me I have briefing playing in Windows Media Player and the other track in Winamp]

I'm going to record some now for the sake of it.

EDIT:

Picked two random songs from my collection that didn't have much of a prominent beat to them:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b6stbya9gnlogsj/Charles%20and%20Eddie%20and%20Other%20M%20-%20Briefing.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w02l5y6la1l92fk/Elton%20John%20and%20Other%20M%20-%20Briefing.mp3

EDIT EDIT:

If you do not wish to download them, just slam a weird piccy and put it on j00t00be!

Simply beautiful.

EDIT EDIT EDIT!

This came up on the playlist and thought I'd give this a go also. Worked so well in many places I decided to do the whole song:

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Screw you, bitches. I'm playing Super Metroid tonight.

Goodnight, N-E.

Screw you, bitches. I'm playing Super Metroid tonight.

Goodnight, N-E.

I like how it's like you're telling us to screw ourselves as if we don't want you to play Super Metroid because it's obviously the better choice.

A wise decision though mate. Go forth and Shabba'ise.

I like how it's like you're telling us to screw ourselves as if we don't want you to play Super Metroid because it's obviously the better choice.

A wise decision though mate. Go forth and Shabba'ise.

:heh: Shabbaising was had by all.

It's strange, Other M seems to fit really nicely with this game, and then Fusion with Other M. It does really well to bridge that gap. That first cut scene right at the beginning of Super seems to work with Samus' personality in Other M.

I love that title screen. Reminds me of Alien3's title screen for some reason.

The game really does NOT fit well with Fusion. It fucks up the Fusion storyline, where Samus was shocked to find out the Federation were cloning Metroids.

The game attempts to bridge the gap between Super and Fusion yeah, but in my eyes the gap was better the way it was before, without the story of Fusion being cheapened.

The game really does NOT fit well with Fusion. It fucks up the Fusion storyline, where Samus was shocked to find out the Federation were cloning Metroids.

The game attempts to bridge the gap between Super and Fusion yeah, but in my eyes the gap was better the way it was before, without the story of Fusion being cheapened.

I haven't played Fusion, I thought the storyline was OK. Bt I don't play Metroid for the story!

I want to see the next chapter take place after Fusion, where she has to be in the fusion "suit", which is practically her skin now.

How will they try and explain its removal...

Hopefully quickly without countless dry-vagina-angst filled cutscenes a lá Other M.

:hug:

Really? All I saw was her colour changing to resemble the Varia suit. Nowhere seems to mention that it actually came off.

Unless you complete the game "properly" does it show so:

mfu-33.pngmfu-32.png

Collect enough items quick enough and suddenly she's fully cured with no explaination given.

mfu-36.pngmfu-38.pngmfu-37.png