NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

I saw the UK advert for Other M tonight and it looks like the guy is welling up as he plays. Must be a painful experience!

I saw the UK advert for Other M tonight and it looks like the guy is welling up as he plays. Must be a painful experience!

It's more likely that he's crying because he knows deep down that no matter how good it is, you won't like it..

It makes me well up :blank:

you know instead of playing wii music you should give this one a try for a while :)

you may actually like this metroid game. It's supposed to be most like fusion

you know instead of playing wii music you should give this one a try for a while :)

you may actually like this metroid game. It's supposed to be most like fusion

I dunno. I've been bitten too many times by the Metroid series. :sad:

Ugh, I just had the displeasure of watching that awful justification of why some frumpy and generally unremarkable and embittered bint on G4TV hated Metroid Other M. Yes love, your butt probably isn't as nice as Team Ninja's rendition of Samus's arse, and yes you clearly have issues, but move on girl we're all going to be playing Other M very soon and we need someone to make the sandwiches - you can help with that if you can be trusted not to scoff them all first!

Ugh, I just had the displeasure of watching that awful justification of why some frumpy and generally unremarkable and embittered bint on G4TV hated Metroid Other M. Yes love, your butt probably isn't as nice as Team Ninja's rendition of Samus's arse, and yes you clearly have issues, but move on girl we're all going to be playing Other M very soon and we need someone to make the sandwiches - you can help with that if you can be trusted not to scoff them all first!

She should have stuck to ironing, it was a bloody awful review.

Wow this game is getting some heavy backlash from a lot of forums I'm checking out. Apparently it's a lot more linear than Hunters/Fusion and has many of those 'you can't leave a room until you've killed every bad guy' scenarios, which has me worried as that isn't really very metroidy. The main complaints seem to be the awful story and also Samus who is basically a stereotype ('dumb blonde'). Eugh. Think I'm gonna track down a preowned copy in a few weeks instead of buying this full price. It's a really short game too so think I'll save some money and wait.

Just got an email saying that my copy has been shipped. Should get it by Thursday, then.

I think I'll wonder down to Zellers today and see if I can get a copy (Its out today here in North America).

The reviews I've seen haven't been great, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it to an extent.

I think I'll wonder down to Zellers today and see if I can get a copy (Its out today here in North America).

The reviews I've seen haven't been great, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it to an extent.

The game hasn't got bad reviews, just a little mixed. I think the average on Gamerankings is around 82%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/960554-metroid-other-m/index.html

Gah, my order got cancelled. Forgot to update my card details and I lost my order for £29.99. If I complain will they give me £5 back?

Mine has been released for packing, but as of yet, not shipped. I think I'll be lucky to get it for Thursday.

Edited by D_prOdigy

Got the message from ShopTo today saying it had been shipped and I've got all the time in the world to play it!

The game hasn't got bad reviews, just a little mixed. I think the average on Gamerankings is around 82%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/960554-metroid-other-m/index.html

I know the average scores haven't been that bad, but I've seen a few reviews that were somewhat negative about certain aspects (The writing for instance). Its not going to deter me at all from buying the game.

--------

So, anyway, I got off work at 5 today, right when all the banks close. Not a big deal though, as they have an ATM outside. When I tried to withdraw the money however, my transaction was denied due to the machine being broken (I've had this problem before with the machine they have outside), so, no big deal, there's another bank right next door with an ATM that should work. When I tried to access my account though, I just got a transaction unauthorized screen. So I tried the ATM in the mall with store I was going to buy the game from. It doesn't work either. So I'll have to go into the bank tomorrow and get this sorted out. In the mean time, no Metroid for me.

Mine got shipped today! Yes, the Australian release date is 1 day later, but even with shipping, getting it from Europe is 20 euros cheaper than the cheapest places around here.

But man, as someone said, the "mixed" reviews are just making me want to play it even more.

New Nintendo:

http://n4g.com/news/clickout/595624

91/100

CtlAltKill Review:

http://n4g.com/news/595581/ctrlaltkill-metroid-other-m-video-review

B+ (85%)

GameTactics Review

http://www.gametactics.com/2010/08/metroid-other-m-review-wii/

9/10

Now Gamer Review

http://wii.nowgamer.com/reviews/wii/9353/metroid-other-m

93/100

Edge Magazine Review

8/10

Stuff Gamers Like Review:

http://www.stuffgamerslike.net/2000/08/30/metroid-other-m-review-%E2%80%9Cterrible-writing-can%E2%80%99t-ruin-old-school-metroid-fun%E2%80%9D-part-2/

B (80%)

Gamepur Review:

http://www.gamepur.com/review/1547-metroid-other-m-review-nintendo-wii.html

8.5/10

A round up of the reviews posted in the last 2 days, all 8/10 or more. Solid reviews. The bad reviews will no doubt come from the usual Wii haters - Gamespy, Gamepro and Game Informer.

So, anyway, I got off work at 5 today, right when all the banks close. Not a big deal though, as they have an ATM outside. When I tried to withdraw the money however, my transaction was denied due to the machine being broken (I've had this problem before with the machine they have outside), so, no big deal, there's another bank right next door with an ATM that should work. When I tried to access my account though, I just got a transaction unauthorized screen. So I tried the ATM in the mall with store I was going to buy the game from. It doesn't work either. So I'll have to go into the bank tomorrow and get this sorted out. In the mean time, no Metroid for me.

Can you not use cards in-store over there?

After going back and forth as to whether I should keep my preorder of the game I decided to keep it and the game is now on its way.

Not being a big fan of the series i'm a little optimistic with what some reviews are saying in that it doesn't feel like a Metroid game. Maybe I will like this one then. :D

I know the average scores haven't been that bad, but I've seen a few reviews that were somewhat negative about certain aspects (The writing for instance). Its not going to deter me at all from buying the game.

yes and the fact about the writing is, this is nintendo's first time really trying something like this. It's not perfect but they have to start somewhere. Negative comments about writing are only going to make nintendo wish they never tried.

It simply comes down to whether you prefer a big game with half good and half meh content or would you prefer a small game with the bad half taking out?

I don't think most people would mind the effort and would rather have it than not.

Can you not use cards in-store over there?

Yes, but being under 18 I have a $60/day limit on my card, and the game is $60 plus tax, I had almost enough cash, but I still needed to withdraw a little bit, and the stores frown on using multiple methods of payment.

That said, I've managed to get the game now.

yes and the fact about the writing is, this is nintendo's first time really trying something like this. It's not perfect but they have to start somewhere. Negative comments about writing are only going to make nintendo wish they never tried.

It simply comes down to whether you prefer a big game with half good and half meh content or would you prefer a small game with the bad half taking out?

I don't think most people would mind the effort and would rather have it than not.

After playing the game for an hour, my honest impression is that its just poorly localized. Some parts seem almost hard translated. That combined with robotic sounding voice acting for Samus really doesn't leave a great impression.

Otherwise, the game seems alright. The small D-pad on the Wii remote is a tad annoying though.

I know my copy from Shopto was dispatched yesterday or possibly the day before. I'm currently on holiday in Canada though so I have no idea if it's arrived at my home yet but I assume it probably has.

So far I think it's fantastic.

The level design is great, I like the cutscenes and voice acting (IMO, Samus' voice is perfect).

Even with the limited controller, the controls are spot on. It's not that easy to turn into a morph ball while running (but that's never necessary - it just looks cools), other than that they work really well.

I don't get why people were complaining about switching from 3rd to 1st person view. You just point at the screen and it switches pretty instantly. It seems to work really well for me.

There's one thing that totally baffled me which I'll share (without spoilers):

In part of the game (fairly early on) you'll be put in a 1st person view. You have to look carefully for some tiny movement and press B while pointing at it. When I got to that point I thought the game had bugged out and got me stuck in the 1st person viewpoint.

I've just gone past a section where something extremely stupid happens:

You get "authorisation" to use your Varia Suit after going through some rooms where the heat damages your shielding.