N-Europe

PSP Go

Daft

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but Sony continue down the same path as before- a path thats so far not been a huge success for them.

Yeah, 50 million PSPs sold. Not successful.

Its certainly not hugely successful, which was clearly my point. Sales wise, its not bombed, but any successes in the hardware sales figures are struck down due to the absolutely massive piracy on the platform.

Do you not think Sony want a piece (a big piece) of the Nintendo pie- of course they do but this isn't going to an attractive enough proposition to do that.

Sales figures for Nintendo DS are DOUBLE that of the PSP. Iphone is half (but released halfway into the PSP's life, so comparative). They're impressive competition for Sony, and i fail to see how this - regardless of its looks- will enable Sony to boost the sales significantly. That was my point.

This is what the product does:

- alienate current owners by not including UMD. Its not an 'upgrade', they can't play their existing titles, so its effectively a new console.

- alienates the lucrative casual market- the market thats allowed Nintendo to reach 100million global sales, and currently its the market Apple are in.

Sony did not enter this market to hold the dubious title of "most successful handheld gaming device after Nintendo", of that i am sure.

If someone had bought that into my office as competition for Nintendo and Apple, i'd have quickly replied "P45- Go".

Edited by david.dakota

Iphone is unrelated. DS is a different animal, its technologically just recycled cheap mobile phone parts compared to a PSP. With two touch screens. Nintendo wouldnt be able to pull this off.

PSP go is more about PSN. The next big step of online console services is going fully digital. All content online not just at retail. This is huge step and i am sure some will really gain from this. Users dont have to bother with disks or loading(much). Developers can afford larger audiences. Publishers have a new approach and Sony have a unique channel to sell games on.

I think its bold and PSP has the right environment to succeed. I hope they even do this on PS3. Though size wise its not practical outside of HDD upgraders compared to PSP.

I hate carrying around alot of crap in my pockets and I'd rather plow my money into an iPhone. Sure it may not have the range of quailty titles, but it has internet, camera, phone and loads of other apps.

Sorry Sony, stop rehashing the PSP and come out with something beyond everything else.

I think consoles with solely downloadable titles are simply pie in the sky, a pipe dream. You'll never get retailers onside without the promise of recurring revenue (or a large profit margin to start with, creating an off-putting high price point for consumers).

As for dismissing iPhone and DS- what a ridiculous thing to say. All portable games, whether from N-gage, App Store, Nintendo are absolutely in the same market as Sony regardless of components or manufacturers, aims or ideologies.

This really needed to be more. Sony's refusal to work with Erikson on new PSP hardware was shortsighted and plainly stupid in my opinion- pop in a 3G mobile, touchscreen, motion controls and you're onto an absolute winner.

At this point, Sony need to be upping their game (no pun intended), in both the home and portable markets. This is a missed opportunity.

I hate carrying around alot of crap in my pockets and I'd rather plow my money into an iPhone. Sure it may not have the range of quailty titles, but it has internet, camera, phone and loads of other apps.

Sorry Sony, stop rehashing the PSP and come out with something beyond everything else.

This is it. The first company to offer camera, phone, content quality, multimedia player, internet, pda features really owns this market. Nintendo seem not to want to do this, Apple et al simply don't have quality content which only leaves Sony- who've dropped a bollock on this.

To me, this is just stupid. I bought a PSP 2000, and about a month later, they announced the 3000. And now they've got this what, less than a year later?

Also, if they are going to change it radically, by changing screen size, no UMD, changing buttons etc. Surely they are better off increasing the tech and calling it the next gen PSP. Give it a touch screen and a second analog stick aswell, and you've got a product. But a 4th version of the same console is just ridiculous.

Iphone is unrelated. DS is a different animal, its technologically just recycled cheap mobile phone parts compared to a PSP. With two touch screens. Nintendo wouldnt be able to pull this off.

PSP go is more about PSN. The next big step of online console services is going fully digital. All content online not just at retail. This is huge step and i am sure some will really gain from this. Users dont have to bother with disks or loading(much). Developers can afford larger audiences. Publishers have a new approach and Sony have a unique channel to sell games on.

I think its bold and PSP has the right environment to succeed. I hope they even do this on PS3. Though size wise its not practical outside of HDD upgraders compared to PSP.

Whilst I think you do speak a lot of truth and having been a new Sony convert for a year now I do agree with you to some extent, but can't you at least agree opened up it doesn't look great? For me I have long fingers and it made using the GBA SP hard going. Also the button placement isn't quite there for me what's with the white rings around the buttons? Looks odd, give them a shiner black look or something..

I think consoles with solely downloadable titles are simply pie in the sky, a pipe dream. You'll never get retailers onside without the promise of recurring revenue (or a large profit margin to start with, creating an off-putting high price point for consumers).

As for dismissing iPhone and DS- what a ridiculous thing to say. All portable games, whether from N-gage, App Store, Nintendo are absolutely in the same market as Sony regardless of components or manufacturers, aims or ideologies.

This really needed to be more. Sony's refusal to work with Erikson on new PSP hardware was shortsighted and plainly stupid in my opinion- pop in a 3G mobile, touchscreen, motion controls and you're onto an absolute winner.

At this point, Sony need to be upping their game (no pun intended), in both the home and portable markets. This is a missed opportunity.

Only thing I agree with on there is that they should have included 3G, downloading on the go would have been good. I don't think bunging all that stuff in is the way forward, think how much it would cost...They are clearly trying to reposition the PSP to appeal to a new audience and adding all those things would likely put it the price beyond that of a casual audience.

You said that a fully digital console is not the way forward or what was it said pie in the sky? I'm sorry but that really isn't the case, look at the iphone (yes a different beast) but its totally driven by downloads and if Sony can tap into this then they are on to a winner. In the Qore episode they mentioned about offering smaller products etc...sounds very much like the App Store, this is something so far Nintendo havn't really offered with the DSi their offerings so far have been lacklustre if you ask me.

To me, this is just stupid. I bought a PSP 2000, and about a month later, they announced the 3000. And now they've got this what, less than a year later?

Also, if they are going to change it radically, by changing screen size, no UMD, changing buttons etc. Surely they are better off increasing the tech and calling it the next gen PSP. Give it a touch screen and a second analog stick aswell, and you've got a product. But a 4th version of the same console is just ridiculous.

No Different to Nintendo's constant regurgitating of the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance and DS for that matter...

Take off your Sony tinted glasses. Any mobile device that plays games and sells by the bucket load is in direct competition. It doesn't matter how many polygons the DS can push out, it still far outsells the PSP. Digital distribution is hardly new, the iPhone's been doing it for quite a while now. You say Nintendo couldn't have done this with 2 touch screens, yet how many times have they redesigned the DS now, where as Sony were retarded enough to think their previous efforts were redesigns. Truth be told though, the PSP was hardly amazing but it wasn't the platforms biggest fault, that was the software. It's all well and good releasing this now but if the software doesn't improve, they'll be right back in the same pickle.

It'll be interesting to see how it does, in my view it's far too late to the party and should have been what the PSP was in the first place, but we shall see.

I think they should stop trying to save the PSP.

I actually think the product looks good, in that video when they are actually holding the thing it's impressive.

I don't think people are right about the controls either, because it's so small it doesn't matter if you are using the analogue or the D-Pad, they are still far enough apart to use well.

pic4p.png

However, what nobody has picked up on is how you're going to hold the thing comfortably. In essence it is similar to holding a dual shock without it's prongs, so your either going to have to support the Go between the fingers behind the console and the thumbs on the front (right at the bottom of the console - aches anyone?), or you will have to support the console with your hands, like a DS, but you will have to reach down with both thumbs.

50 million consoles (and counting) for Sony's first attempt at a gaming handheld is impressive. Yeah, they've made a crap load of mistakes but they must have got something right. It's not like apple launched the iPod and it suddenly hit 200 million units sold, it wasn't until the 3rd gen that it started picking up steam among the public (I'm not saying the PSP will ever reach those sales).

I think a lot of people are missing that this is in no way a replacement of the 3000, it will sell along side. There's no alienating old customers, UMD games will continue to be released along side a downloadable version.

If I'm honest, I really think Sony have done amazingly. They've turned around what last year was, in my eyes, a dead console. Their first job was to phase out the rampant piracy and I think the 3000 has done a pretty good job (not sure a viable hack has happened) and that should carry on with the Go. They've also announced what is one of the best handheld line up I've ever seen. Also the advantage of having everything as a digital download is that when the PSP2 finally does hit, it'll already have a huge amount of games ready to go.

I also think that if Sony really wanted to go for the casual market they would. You might think they can't because the DS is so accessible, it isn't, it is because it is marketed as such. I think Sony will be aiming this at the tech savvy, a gateway to the whole Playstation experience.

From my perspective the PSP has been a real learning experience and the console has changed a lot since its release. Bit by bit it is getting better and better and along with Sony's restructuring internally, a rumoured release of a music store, the ability to take any music videos on the go through the PSP, remote play, it really is becoming an awesome little machine. I think that is also where Sony is moving towards; an attempt at cloud gaming but vie home PS3s, take your PSP anywhere, play your PS3 anywhere.

I think they should stop trying to save the PSP.

I actually think the product looks good, in that video when they are actually holding the thing it's impressive.

I don't think people are right about the controls either, because it's so small it doesn't matter if you are using the analogue or the D-Pad, they are still far enough apart to use well.

pic4p.png

However, what nobody has picked up on is how you're going to hold the thing comfortably. In essence it is similar to holding a dual shock without it's prongs, so your either going to have to support the Go between the fingers behind the console and the thumbs on the front (right at the bottom of the console - aches anyone?), or you will have to support the console with your hands, like a DS, but you will have to reach down with both thumbs.

Wouldn't it be supported by your fingers that are using the shoulder buttons. Also the side of your hands. It looks like the spacing is small enough to no need reaching of any kind.

Edited by Daft

I don't get all these people who say they should trying to save the PSP or its a failure face it. It's still sold 50 million units worldwide how is that a failure by any stretch of the imagination?!!! The DS has only been such a success because it has entered the "casual" market, much like they have with Wii, the problem of getting into this market isn't unique to Sony its something Microsoft have struggled to get into as well..

Fact is PSP has lasted far longer than any of the handheld competitors have and it does have some great games. Its major problem initially was people trying to copy console experiences on the handheld when the titles that remember they are on a portable console are amongst the best there is...I don't think Sony have been as good as a 1st Party developer on PSP either tbh.

No Different to Nintendo's constant regurgitating of the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance and DS for that matter...

Gameboy > Gameboy Pocket

GBA > GBA SP > GBA Micro

DS > DS Lite > DSi

PSP > PSP2k > PSP3k > PSP Go

For one thing its an additional hardware change. Secondly, its less than a year since PSP3k.

Well it's not a failure but it could do so much better. I don't think people like the sound of 'Playstation' anymore. They'll think of it as an expensive games machine for more nerdish people. REBRAND IT!

Gameboy > Gameboy Pocket

GBA > GBA SP > GBA Micro

DS > DS Lite > DSi

For one thing its an additional hardware change. Secondly, its less than a year since PSP3k.

Yeah but all Nintendo's changes have been massively redesigned. This is the first PSP that looks noticeably different.

It's the iPod model. I buy an iPod every few years. I guess if you've stuck with the first iPod you bought then this does suck.

Gameboy > Gameboy Pocket

GBA > GBA SP > GBA Micro

DS > DS Lite > DSi

Your Gameboy one is wrong for starters;

Gameboy > Gameboy Light > Gameboy Pocket > Gameboy Colour

(Ok Gameboy Light was japanese only but a hardware revision none the less)

It's six and two threes anyway, to blame Sony for re-releasing hardware isn't right when a precedent was set long before they entered the handheld market.

I don't get all these people who say they should trying to save the PSP or its a failure face it. It's still sold 50 million units worldwide how is that a failure by any stretch of the imagination?!!! The DS has only been such a success because it has entered the "casual" market, much like they have with Wii, the problem of getting into this market isn't unique to Sony its something Microsoft have struggled to get into as well..

Fact is PSP has lasted far longer than any of the handheld competitors have and it does have some great games. Its major problem initially was people trying to copy console experiences on the handheld when the titles that remember they are on a portable console are amongst the best there is...I don't think Sony have been as good as a 1st Party developer on PSP either tbh.

Why do people continue trying to belittle the success of the DS. Bottom-line, it far outsells the PSP regardless of what it does and what it can do.

I hate Nintendo.

Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet, Jak & Daxter, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, Motorstorm, Rock Band. That is quite an impressive little relaunch.

Why do people continue trying to belittle the success of the DS. Bottom-line, it far outsells the PSP regardless of what it does and what it can do.

I hate Nintendo.

I don't think anyone's belittling its success but the casual market is part of its success. It's not a bad thing.

Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet, Jak & Daxter, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, Motorstorm, Rock Band. That is quite an impressive little relaunch.

I don't think anyone's belittling its success but the casual market is part of its success. It's not a bad thing.

It's the constant excuses Sony fans roll out though. It's only sold so much because it's made for casual gaming.

It might have a lot of casual games, but there are far more harcore games on the DS that I would play over the PSP.

And I hate Nintendo.

I hate Nintendo.

I'm not belittling Nintendo just without the casual market in my opinion the DS would nothing more than a curiosity. It's been mixture of luck and very clever marketing that have created this new market. Without it the DS would remain the third pillar it was originally and be this strange janky thing people go to play something different.

Yeag agreed that is a pretty good relaunch, although not sure Rock Band is actually that good lol! Tried the demo and wasn't impressed but its approach to translating the gameplay to a handheld is far more interesting than slapping some plastic coloured buttons onto the side of the console (Guitar Hero on DS)

I'm actually quite looking forward to the Sony conference, i'd be happier than most if the PSP re-launch went well. I've always liked it but the software has never been continually strong. As Daft said above, the upcoming titles look very promising.

Their first job was to phase out the rampant piracy and I think the 3000 has done a pretty good job (not sure a viable hack has happened) and that should carry on with the Go.

Ha, I'm pretty sure a Pandora battery can downgrade any version and allow custom firmware. Plus, the fact that no one who already has custom firmware will do a Sony upgrade because they are not stupid means that anything Sony do is useless.

The PSP, IMO, is useless for anything but custom firmware. The whole thing a shambles, really. It's like a PS2 on the go which is frigging useless, because people don't want such hardcore games to be mobile. That's why the DS excels in popularity and sales among both soft and hardcore gamers. I've hardly ever used my PSP; it's literally a paperweight on my shelf. But when I have used it, it's for custom firmware things like PS1 emulation.

Yeah, it has 50 million sales, but without custom firmware I doubt it'd be as much as that. The PSP actually annoys me in the sense that titles that could have gone to PS3 and have been done far better (Crisis Core) went to the PSP instead.

Yeag agreed that is a pretty good relaunch, although not sure Rock Band is actually that good lol! Tried the demo and wasn't impressed but its approach to translating the gameplay to a handheld is far more interesting than slapping some plastic coloured buttons onto the side of the console (Guitar Hero on DS)

Ah well. I guess with Rock Band you really want the instruments. :heh:

Also forgot Soul Calibur, which is high on my list.