Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid Prime 3 = FPS?

Gaijin von Snikbah

Seems very likely to me. This is the chance for Nintendo to show they can make a good FPS game, with an epic story and funny gameplay. And with the Revolution controller, they have the best way to play an FPS on a console. Looking around, aiming and shooting, is so much easier with the Revolution controller. You will feel more in control! Also the demo from TGS would suggest this, along with Iwata saying: "Whe have big plans for Metroid!".

Calling it a FPS might be wrong. First Person Adventure sounds more like it. But with the FPS tag, more people may become interested in it.

they said Metroid Prime 3 will be the closure of the Prime Series (note: this means Prime games will end, not Metroid as a franchise) so it would seem abit off making the first and second prime game with First person style gamplay and the 3rd to be differnt when they could use a differnt style of gameplay for the Metroid games after the Prime series instead of changing the First Person perspective in Prime 3.

im sure it will be a First person game but i still and always will miss super metroid :weep:

I'm sure it will be a FPA again. I can't wait to pull back the controller to charge up the charge beam and then press A to release :hehe:

This is the chance for Nintendo to show they can make a good FPS game, with an epic story and funny gameplay..

Erm...Metroid and funny gameplay? :woops:

I still have doubts about Metroid working well with that type of control, because it's been designed around the lock on and quite frankly, it's really easy and intuitive.

Apparantly they (Nintendo) have hooked up MP2 with the revo controller, and it worked wonderfully!

but then again, would they say that regardless?

I'd imagine it'll have FPS style controls, but I wouldn't call it an FPS as such as it isn't really a "shooter" as much as it is an adventure game.

We'll still see it heavily emphasising exploration and puzzles and to me this is what stops it from being labelled an FPS and makes it an FPA.

im pretty sure 'worked wondefully' would be an overstatement. what the press saw was metroid prime 2 grafted onto a revo pad. as a result it was a bit rough.

still, the intention is clear: metroid prime 3 will be a FPA, one with more tailored revo specific control than the echoes port.

launch? thats a better question. we know work is going on so what are the chances do you reckon?

I hope Prime 3 rules...Echoes is slightly irritating compared to the first, with no revolutionary aspects whatsoever. Even the beams were Prime rip-offs, and the bosses weren't as fun (some irritating e.g. Spider Ball Boss).

I just hope the game feels as great as Prime if they're taking out the lock-on. I really wanna know how the hell you're gonna change beams & visors though (if you do that is)

The Revolution could actually make a third person Metroid work... Oh well, that's only for after Prime. I'm sure the FPS controls work fantastically, although it's ironic that Prime (the original defied standard FPS controls in a perfect way) is going to use the controls that every Rev FPS will use.

Apparantly they (Nintendo) have hooked up MP2 with the revo controller, and it worked wonderfully!

but then again, would they say that regardless?

What they said was that, while the controller worked well it seemed a bit rough, because they're used to play Metroid with lock-on. Jumping around while aiming seems a little tough, but it might work.

I just hope the game feels as great as Prime if they're taking out the lock-on. I really wanna know how the hell you're gonna change beams & visors though (if you do that is)

I was wondering the same thing....then it hit me.

What if changing weapons was handled by simply twisting the remote left or right (to cycle left and right through the array of modes respectively). The visors could then be left to the D-pad.

Or....twisting the remote could swap the visor and weapon menus. For example, the d-pad has all the visor buttons. With a simple twist it changes into guns.

Or...Up/Down could handle changing guns while left/right could handle visors. This could leave the twisting mechanic for missles and hopefully super missles.

What they said was that, while the controller worked well it seemed a bit rough, because they're used to play Metroid with lock-on. Jumping around while aiming seems a little tough, but it might work.

No, I don't think that's the reason. It was a bit rough because it was implemented in less than TWO WEEKS. Many hands-on mention that the game would wig out every now and then, then return to FPS bliss. When it controlled as it should, they were very impressed with it, and mentioned how quick and responsive it was.

The finally product will have the kinks all worked out, as well as a nice layer of polish.