N-Europe

Tournament of Legends (Gladiator A.D)

Dante

Retro: There is something wrong with the characters, I think it may be due to the lighting. Some of their armour is just too bright. I think it's something they'll work on over time.

But, that trailer was pretty sweet, I thought. It's showing promise.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much better trailer. I get the feeling this will play alot like Punch Out in some respects.

But this game is just screaming to be a motion+ exclusive. Hopefully if HVS do what they have been doing and they listen to the feedback these first trailers have been getting then that'll be the first thing they take on board. Otherwise, if they don't put the focus on motion+, then I think gameplay-wise these trailers have shown us most of what i'm guessing will be on offer. Which isn't too promising.

Looks nice though. Shiny.

• 2 weeks later...
New gameplay videos up on IGN: http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14350710/gladiator-ad/videos/gladiwii_061209_1.html;jsessionid=6ujktjmd4u5o

I'm not sure about this one tbh. The combat looks almost turnbased, I know the aim was to ensure it was tactical and not a waggle fest but this really seems to lack fluidity atm.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

I watched it expecting it to be almost turnbased like you said, but I disagree. To me it came across as though it was meant to be pretty tactical with all the shielding, dodging and waiting for an opening to attack- sort of akin to Wii Sports Boxing dare I say!

I watched that video, and it does seem more tactical than purely "turn-based." I must admit, I really like that. The emphasis there is on waiting for the right moment to strike, then going for it. It does seem a tad bit slow-paced there, but I do expect the battles to get a bit more brutal and faster as the development progresses.

I must be the only one, but I'm looking forward to this a lot more than The Grinder.

Probaly!... I mean I'm not exactly 'OMFG TEH GRINDER!!' myself, but this... just looks a bit dull atm.

I think it definitely needs a bit of work doing to it, but at the moment I think it's interesting me a lot more than The Grinder. There aren't really enough fighting games on the system, and this looks like a nice take on the genre. It doesn't look like your typical "slasher" where you just button-mash until the enemy's bar diminishes, there looks to be some form of strategy or patience involved.

The dogde movement [backwards, left, right] also looks pretty bad imo. I mean I can see they're trying to make it quick so you can get out the way, but it's so quick it spoils the fluidity looks really clumsy! Also, from the gameplay video i've seen, a lot of attacks seem quite slow anyway!

The dogde movement [backwards, left, right] also looks pretty bad imo. I mean I can see they're trying to make it quick so you can get out the way, but it's so quick it spoils the fluidity looks really clumsy! Also, from the gameplay video i've seen, a lot of attacks seem quite slow anyway!

It most definitely needs a lot of work doing to it. At this stage, if this game were to be released, then my thoughts would be "uhh...." It lacks fluidity, and it looks more "rough" than anything.

The attacks seem quite slow, but then I think they're always going to be a bit slower than compared to other fighters. It's going for that "meaty and heavy" look, where every attack is a hammer-blow.

The main thing though is just improving the whole fluency of it all. At the moment, it's a very, very rough idea, but I think there's a good game here underneath all that.

• 7 months later...

Looks like Gladiator A.D. has turned into Tournament of Legends

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

We are excited to announce a new project in partnership with developer High Voltage Software – Tournament of Legends™. Exclusive for Wii™, Tournament of Legends is a weapon and magic based 3D-fight game featuring some of the biggest playable characters on Wii. Each fighter is based on a legend from world mythology: the Minotaur, a powerful Gladiator, Gorgon, Stone Golem, Valkyrie and other well-known and powerful characters. The game is scheduled for release in May 2010.

Tournament of Legends features epic battles in fantastic fighting arenas where they will wield mythical blade weapons, launch 40 magic attacks, and dodge giant mythological creatures that protect the battle lairs. In intense one and two-player fights, players master a range of character and weapon based magic attacks; including unleashing, amongst others, a man-eating lion, Jupiter’s Storm, Thor’s Fury and a nest of venomous snakes.

Tournament of Legends strives to offer even the most sophisticated Wii gamer a rich weapon fighting experience. Players will be able to switch weapons and enchantments with other characters or compete in various Wii Remoteâ„¢/Nunchukâ„¢ controller challenges which include dodging giant mythological creatures or restoring health and armor during fights. The game also features an Interactive Training mode and supports the Classic Controllerâ„¢.

Tournament of Legends cinematic effects and graphics are fueled by the High Voltage Software Quantum 3 engine, designed and optimized for Wii. Large, 3D mythological fighters move fluidly. Fighting arenas, characters, and magical attacks are polished by advanced real-time lighting, blended animation, cinematic color curves, and more. And the fighters’ mythic journeys are told through beautifully hand drawn in-game cinematics.

Tournament of Legends is set to release in May 18th, 2010 exclusively for Wii.

Oddly no mention of MotionPlus, though they were never really using it heavily in the first place.

Looks like they've kind of 'brightened' it up a bit. More fantastical than the man-on-man realism seen last year. Wouldn't surprise me if they've got rid of the gore.

Guest Captain Falcon

Well unless they were going to get all mythical, the game was always going to be pretty limited. A variety of weapons means nothing when they all have the same three moves consisting of a vertical & horizontal slash coupled with a stab. Maybe a few animals could spice it up but it's not enough to flesh out a decent game.

So with regards to this new announcement, I'm with Retro - I think the game will be a lot better for it, but still nothing of particular note and not one I'll be getting.

Also, who is the "we" mentioned in the article that are partnering with HVS as it's not mentioned anywhere in the rest of the passage as far as I can see...

Guest Captain Falcon
Oh, sorry. It's SEGA again.

Ta!

I wonder if this deal was already lined up or it was conditional based on sales of The Conduit as SEGA had stated they had no intention of releasing any more Mature rated games on the console didn't they?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!